Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition ,6v, 2wd,w/rear spoiler and X-REAs Sport suspention) is unstable when I pass 70 mph in highways,since new( 4,000 Miles now). It tends to move from side to side ,making difficult to control the steering wheel.This is dangerours; mainly happens 65% of the time I hit the highways.
If somebody knows something about ???. Before asking to the dealer?

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
news to me. Hope you find out what it is, that would be a little spooky.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the 04 4Runner Limited V8, full time 4WD, X-REAS. It tends to be more sensitive to cross winds than any cars I have had or driven. This makes the steering sort of darty, that is, tends to dart slightly from side to side. Could be improper tow-in setting, but more likely high profile and nice soft, comfortable, suspension. Not any worse at 70+ than 60 mph. Don't consider it a problem (yet). You have had more than your share of high winds lately. In calm air, do you have the same problem?

Stockerjo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
re: unstable 4runner

In calm air, do you have the same problem?

Stockerjo

Hello:
I really don't know the wind factor at some particular days,but is a "chame"(I feel bad),to see all other car ,SUV,Heavy trailer,motorcicles,minicar,what ever;pass me at more than 70 to 90 MPH so nice.
Thank for your answer. Jose

·
Offical nut
112 Posts
try puting some sway bars on it? It is a truck and truck don't handle like cars. I still think its sad people think they should. Also try a tire with a stiffer sidewalls. What did you drive before. My freind said he had this problem and had me drive it. Handled fine to me. but he drove a new honda before that had speed propotional steering. The faster you went the less the steering wheel responded. He got into this truck and nearly rolled it becuase he was used to over correcting and darting around traffic.
I don't mean to critisise but try easing into the next lane instead of jumping into it , this truck rated the best in it ability to not roll over. but that was still at 46mph, think about that next time you want to jump into the next lane at 70+ then having to overcorrect to stay in the lane. Not to mention 90% of the tire made for trucks are rated at 80mph with one person in the vehical and a half tank of fuel. The more people and the stuff that speed rating goes down.
safe driving:thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts