Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was removing the dash panel to install the DRL upgrade I saw an used blue wire connector. In my care it was actually inserted into the second unused dummy switch on the panl.

Does anyone know what the connector might go to?

Thanks.
 

·
Tragically Hip
Joined
·
342 Posts
Search button is your friend... DAC is the connector indeed.

Actually if you look just above the fuse box to the left you can also see two connectors that have foam wrapped over the ends, a white and a green connector.

My guess is that they are for the stability control button and for a locking diff.
 

·
And My Dog Remington
Joined
·
725 Posts
Dern wish i wouldnt have read that thread... here goes...

Has anyone found out whether or not we can plug and play yet?
:hi: :bump:

I read the thread above... but it looks like Bill was waiting on an answer too?
 

·
Registered
06 Taco 4x4 TRD
Joined
·
796 Posts
Nicky9 said:
Dern wish i wouldnt have read that thread... here goes...

Has anyone found out whether or not we can plug and play yet?
:hi: :bump:

I read the thread above... but it looks like Bill was waiting on an answer too?
No one has shown it can work and I don't think they will. For DAC and stability control you need something to pressurize your brakes when commanded, which requires a pump. If you don't have stability control, you just have an ordinary vacuum booster so that won't work. To see what these different systems look like check out p 1572 of the TacomaParts.pdf in markass' sticky.

If you are asking about the e-locker, that requires a differential with an electric motor, a shift fork and sleeve which doesn't come on the non-lockers, so that won't go either.
 

·
Humble Servant
2012 DC PreRun Auto
Joined
·
1,158 Posts
Would the DAC not use the same pump as the anti-lock brake system?
(i.e. we don't have just a vaccuum booster)
 

·
Precision driver
Joined
·
2,105 Posts
msibille said:
Would the DAC not use the same pump as the anti-lock brake system?
(i.e. we don't have just a vaccuum booster)
I think it would. VSC uses a booster, DAC shouldn't.
 

·
Registered
06 Taco 4x4 TRD
Joined
·
796 Posts
mhadden said:
I think it would. VSC uses a booster, DAC shouldn't.
Well, I don't have it but I thought DAC would apply the brakes for you without your foot on the pedal going down a steep hill. If so, it would need a good-sized pump.

For ABS, the pressure is applied by your foot. The "actuator" just releases and then repressurizes the brake. Kind of a pump-like thing but the characteristics are a bit different than if it also had to apply the brakes from scratch. Smaller, for one thing. And quicker.

I just have my truck, without all the traction stuff, so I can't compare. But it makes sense to me that all of the traction-control mechanisms would work off the same, larger, brake booster pump, and that they would then all come bundled. So if you have VSC, then you get DAC and auto-LSD basically through software.

I still think I'm right, but I can't be certain!
 

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma access cab
Joined
·
503 Posts
Nicky9 said:
Dern wish i wouldnt have read that thread... here goes...

Has anyone found out whether or not we can plug and play yet?
:hi: :bump:

I read the thread above... but it looks like Bill was waiting on an answer too?


+ 1
 

·
Precision driver
Joined
·
2,105 Posts
TurDonor said:
Well, I don't have it but I thought DAC would apply the brakes for you without your foot on the pedal going down a steep hill. If so, it would need a good-sized pump.

For ABS, the pressure is applied by your foot. The "actuator" just releases and then repressurizes the brake. Kind of a pump-like thing but the characteristics are a bit different than if it also had to apply the brakes from scratch. Smaller, for one thing. And quicker.

I just have my truck, without all the traction stuff, so I can't compare. But it makes sense to me that all of the traction-control mechanisms would work off the same, larger, brake booster pump, and that they would then all come bundled. So if you have VSC, then you get DAC and auto-LSD basically through software.

I still think I'm right, but I can't be certain!
I don't have the traction stuff either, but think that the DAC uses more engine braking than brakes (if at all).:confused:
 

·
Tragically Hip
Joined
·
342 Posts
TurDonor said:
But it makes sense to me that all of the traction-control mechanisms would work off the same, larger, brake booster pump, and that they would then all come bundled. So if you have VSC, then you get DAC and auto-LSD basically through software.

I still think I'm right, but I can't be certain!
It is interesting to know that the new Rav4's with VSC get DAC included as well, but the new FJ's with VSC do not get DAC at all. Which makes me think that DAC could ultiize a different computer system, maybe the intelligent tranmission or ABS computers or both???
 

·
Trevor
Joined
·
2,026 Posts
I know the DAC on the 4runners is pretty much the same as that of the Tacoma's. Having tried the DAC on the 4runner I know it uses the brakes because when it's on its and working it sounds and feels just like the ABS does while working. I don't know if it controls engine braking or not, I didnt' feel any additional braking but who knows, my guess is it's simply linked with the 4wd ECU and the ABS system.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top