Toyota Nation Forum banner

Unused relay locations in Factory R/B and R/B No.2

4638 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  switch
Has anyone used the unused relay locations in either factory R/B or R/B No.2 for aux lights? I have not taken apart R/B yet, but R/B No.2 looks doable. Need to figure out what the wire terminals are.
Here's the page from the FSM

Here are details fo R/B No. 2 (the right position is for AC Relay)

See less See more
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Per above, from what I'm reading, the Left position is AC socket (pg 23 of FSM), the right is unused, not even listed as an option. Since there are not wires going into the back, I'd assume its fair game.

In RB, (FSM pg 24), theres one unused, located below the 30A ABS fuse lower left side. Another open slot is to the right of the 50A JB fuse (#1), top right

In both cases, I don't see anything calling the pinouts on the back of the RB to the wiring diagram.

Im working off the 2005 version of the FSM
Per above, from what I'm reading, the Left position is AC socket (pg 23 of FSM), the right is unused, not even listed as an option. Since there are not wires going into the back, I'd assume its fair game.
In RB, (FSM pg 24), there’s one unused, located below the 30A ABS fuse lower left side. Another open slot is to the right of the 50A JB fuse (#1), top right

In both cases, I don't see anything calling the pin outs on the back of the RB to the wiring diagram.

I’m working off the 2005 version of the FSM
So for R/B No.2 it comes down to the terminator clips. What are they? I'm reticent to try to take the AC clips out and break something.

I contacted a dealer but they don't have pigtails for the AC relay in R/B No.2

BTW the part numbers for R/B No.2 are
82662B
8266BA

Same question goes for the main R/B where do I get connectors that fit the OME plastic?
seems like allot of work tracking down the harnesses ect... Its pretty easy to just add your own for what ever application you need. :confused:

Is this to save a buck or is it an attempt to keep it neat.
seems like allot of work tracking down the harnesses ect... Its pretty easy to just add your own for what ever application you need. :confused:

Is this to save a buck or is it an attempt to keep it neat.
A bit of both. The after market fuse/relay blocks I've seen are either junk or spendy.
Example of junk: http://www.rallylights.com/hella/Relay_Boxes_and_Fuse_Boxes.asp
Example of spendy: http://www.4x4s-pod.com/purchase.html

Example of how I did aux fuse block:

and with cover on:

Those loose wires to the right of my fuse block are what I'm working on now. I had hoped to use the unused Relay position in R/B No.2 with just the trouble of a bit of homework and a few bucks for connectors - not have to add yet another box. I know I can make that work no matter what, but that got me to thinking about the unused relay positions in the main panel and trying to find the right terminators.

Yes, definately trying to keep it clean under the hood.
See less See more
What you are using currently for an aux fuse block is what I have been looking for. Where did get it or get the parts to make it?
What you are using currently for an aux fuse block is what I have been looking for. Where did get it or get the parts to make it?
6x4x2 Project box from Radio Shack
Blue Sea ST Blade Fuse Block ATO/ATC no cover - 12 Circuit from Redden Marine

Here is my write up on this project:
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67738
So for R/B No.2 it comes down to the terminator clips. What are they? I'm reticent to try to take the AC clips out and break something.

I contacted a dealer but they don't have pigtails for the AC relay in R/B No.2

Same question goes for the main R/B where do I get connectors that fit the OME plastic?
Good luck with this, the FSM for electrical has nothing on those connectors, nor does the repair on the inverter stuff. I'm stuck.

The AC SKT relay feeds your 115V inverter, so if you don't have one, you may feel a little more confident attacking those connectors. The big wires feeding that come off a 100A fusible link, so the wire size is much larger than you'd ever need for most fog lights.

As far as getting connectors, I imagine (wild guess here) that if you could find metric quick connectors in the right size, they should fit in the plastic.

http://www.mikesxs.net/mikesxs-electrical.php?category_id=2.6

I couldn't find any other sources

As lotust implied, this may not be worth the effort.
See less See more
I got that relay installed in unused position

Thanks everyone for the help on this, I was able to use this location with minimal fuss. Thought I should follow up with how to steps:

I only needed to add one relay for some aux lights, so didn't want to install a new relay block. Just used the open position in Engine Room R/B No.2
The position on the right is for the inverter, the left position is not used for anything.

This shows the location and part numbers for R/B No.2:
If I need to add two more relays latter on, I'll just order these parts. Keep things OEM like (n.b. the complete part numbers are VIN specific).

There are no clips in the open position:

I could not source OEM connectors for this relay block which look like this:

So I used 4 quick connects like these:

I stripped off the plastic for the smaller relay positions:
This quick connect fits snugly in the relay block once it is pinched slightly square on the end.

For the quick connects that go in the larger holes of the relay block, I used a quick connect that had a larger plastic cover that filled the hole to position it correctly in the relay block.

Because the quick connects don't snap into the relay block, you have to push from the bottom to make sure they are snug when you plug in the relay. I could have secured the quick connects with glue but didn't see the point.
Took about this took about 15 minutes to do once I figure out what would work.
See less See more
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.