Toyota Nation Forum banner

UPA stuck in down position. why?

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  punk_and_goth 
#1 ·
I'm doing ball joints and tie rods and drivaxles and all that good stuff on my 97 t100 4wd, and for the life up me i cannot figure out why upper control arm is frozen in the down postion, i mean i cant lift it up at all and especially not enough to get the steering knuckle back on to it. if i put a jack under it, it lifts the entire vehicle, i've hammered on it, nothing...what is going on here, can someone explain?

#7 ·
Torsion bar ey? I'm unfamiliar with these things, I was wondering if that had something to do with it though. Alright, so what is the function of the torsion and can I free it up? I did manage to get the steering knuckle back on with some finagling and some help from the wife, but I'm ready to move on to the passenger side now, and it would be nice if I could get it that upper control arm to move.

#9 ·
Oh wow, OK, I just watched some videos, I get it now, I thought that was just for stabilization. OK so I don't want to mess with the adjustment of that. Whatever, easy enough to just drop the shocks down to make room for the knuckle. Thanks for the help yall!

#10 ·
I normal use a nice 4ft pry bar to lift up and have my apprentice/ shadow to remove the one and place the new

Otherwise I'll spend a hour or more undoing the torsion bolts to lower them then the process to lift back up is long and annoying gotta put the wheel back and and measure over and over till both wheels are even ( it's a bitch on my truck ONLY ONCE AND ONLY ONCE)

Reactions: beerhunt
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.