Toyota Nation Forum banner

Update DIY---Shifter and map light LEDs now glove box LED

35351 Views 60 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  Robosphinx
Not the best DIY ,but still ppl can get an idea how to do.Here are the pics. I didn't take pics while i was doing mine, so had to take apart everything to take pics:D
First of all remove shifter knob and the 2 things(I don't know the name:rolleyes:) that are next to storage compartment.

Now for map light

I had to use tis pic dcemureviews:D

And this is glove box, but I couldn't fugue out how to do it my fingers are big, so I couldn't take out the bulb, I'll try use tweezer see if i can do it.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· 2GR FTW
2007 Toyota Camry SE
1,567 Posts
Looks great!

Any idea on what size of bulb that is for the LED on the shifter?

· Loving the camry =)
Toyota Camry
330 Posts
thanks for the picture of the glove compartment, i was using my fingers and trying to see if i could've removed the entire box but it wasn't moving.

let me know if you find an easy way to remove the glove compartment bulb, thanks!

· 268 HP OWNER
2020 Highlander
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks great!

Look Up Netforcer's original thread. All the info should be there
Yeah its in Netforcer's thread, you can buy it from ebay too, just search on ebay for T5 LED.

nice write up man
Thanks

thanks for the picture of the glove compartment, i was using my fingers and trying to see if i could've removed the entire box but it wasn't moving.

let me know if you find an easy way to remove the glove compartment bulb, thanks!
You are welcome.
It wont move (unless you want to take apart half of you dash). I'll let you know if I have success.

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
Looks great!

As mentioned in other threads, the shifter bulb is #74 if going to sites such as superbrightleds.com or autolumination.com
It wont move (unless you want to take apart half of you dash). I'll let you know if I have success.
If using tweezers or pliers, I suggest putting a cloth inbetween the pliers or bulb so that it doesnt crack or scratch the bulb. Also, dont squeeze to hard. Just put enough pressure that you get a good grip on it and just wiggle it out. Same goes for the shifter. I have big fingers and couldnt get a good hold on it so I used tweezers.

LOV said:
Whats the purpose of removing the base? All I did was pull out the bulb and put in the LED

LOV said:
Theres no need to remove shifter. I didnt remove the shifter but I did remove the two panels to make things easier.

LOV said:
This is viewable in plain view? In other words, I just open the glove box and I can see it? Its raining out so I cant go out and look. Thanks for the pic. Now I know there is enough room and I'll be ordering the multi-LED

· Loving the camry =)
Toyota Camry
330 Posts
This is viewable in plain view? In other words, I just open the glove box and I can see it? Its raining out so I cant go out and look.
you open the glove compartment, and right above it has a small hole as pictured. i was trying to use the pliers but some of these bulbs are REALLY stuck into the sockets and i was too afraid to break the bulbs.

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
you open the glove compartment, and right above it has a small hole as pictured. i was trying to use the pliers but some of these bulbs are REALLY stuck into the sockets and i was too afraid to break the bulbs.
AH ok. Thanks. Try doing what I suggested. Just take the pliers, cover it in a cloth or something soft and wiggle it out. Just dont squeeze too hard or you'll definitely break it.

Going to order my LED and a few other parts.

· Loving the camry =)
Toyota Camry
330 Posts
not sure about what you mean by wide or what not, but just go to superbrightleds.com and look for the exact model type you need. I believe it's #74.

as for whether or not to remove the twist lock base. I didn't want to use pliers to yank the bulb out so i felt more comfortable removing the bulb holder first and then using my fingers to pull it out. just preference i guess. for me the bulbs were stuck in there pretty bad.

· Registered
8,436 Posts
This is a really good write up, LOV. Very helpful.

Thank you for taking the time to go back and take your car apart..... again. :D

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
Shifter LED question

For the T5 LEDs, should I get wide or regular? And do you need the twist lock base/socket holder or just the bulb itself?
It wouldnt matter because you're not using the light to look. You're just buying a brighter light instead of using the stock bulb.

As I mentioned in previous post, all I did was put a cloth over the bulb/around the pliers and wiggled the bulb out. I didnt have to take out the holder.

· 268 HP OWNER
2020 Highlander
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shifter LED question

For the T5 LEDs, should I get wide or regular? And do you need the twist lock base/socket holder or just the bulb itself?
If you are going to buy from ebay (because I'm not sure about superbrightleds.com) you need regular ,since you don't want anything really bright (mine is not too bright ,but its fine).

This is a really good write up, LOV. Very helpful.

Thank you for taking the time to go back and take your car apart..... again. :D
You are welcome:chug:

It wouldn't matter because you're not using the light to look. You're just buying a brighter light instead of using the stock bulb.

As I mentioned in previous post, all I did was put a cloth over the bulb/around the pliers and wiggled the bulb out. I didn't have to take out the holder.
I agree ,you could use pliers to wiggled the bulb out, but I felt easier taking out the base (which wasn't hard to do) and wiggle out the bulb.

· 268 HP OWNER
2020 Highlander
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Didn't want to start new thread, so just updating.
You will need a mirror, LED (obvious:D) and tweezer.

Like dcemureviews mentioned above , put a cloth around the bulb , and wiggle the bulb out.
Make sure your tweezer got this "teeth" like the one in this pic

because when you putting back the LED , it got slippery surface ( at least mine did), and it was moving.

And the final result

· Loving the camry =)
Toyota Camry
330 Posts
awesome! thanks.

i guess when it's night time, can you let me know if the light is brighter than the halogen? i remember this old thread where this guy said it wasn't brighter and he put the halogen back.

i'm guessing because there's no reflector on the otherside of the cover so one half of the led is useless shining into the covers with only like less then 90 degrees of light actually making it out

· 268 HP OWNER
2020 Highlander
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
awesome! thanks.

i guess when it's night time, can you let me know if the light is brighter than the halogen? i remember this old thread where this guy said it wasn't brighter and he put the halogen back.

i'm guessing because there's no reflector on the otherside of the cover so one half of the led is useless shining into the covers with only like less then 90 degrees of light actually making it out
you are right, there is no reflector and the light is waaaay dimer than the halogen, so its not worth the money and time ,unless you gen something really bright and "wide angel" LED if there is any.

· Premium Member
6,892 Posts
Just to show you guys what to order on superbrightleds because its a confusing website...

For the DOME LIGHT. You can get either the 9 LED or the 6 LED ones.

For the SHIFTER LIGHT.

For the MAP & DOOR LIGHTS.

I hope this helps out some people who are confused on what LEDs to order on that website...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.