Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Breakin' necks since '02!
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I posted a thread saying that when I accelerate from a dead stop or if I'm driving around a parking lot a slow speed I hear a clunking noise from upfront. At 1st I thought it might be a motor mount (rear or tranny) but it's not. Since I don't have a driveway where I live i've been procrastinating troubleshooting what it was. Just outta curiosity I checked my CV boots today and was amazed with what I saw. My passenger CV boot is torn and there's grease covering the inside of my rim, strut and wheel well. How should I go about fixing it for cheap, dealer...local shop...TN member? haha.

About how much should it cost to replace with labor? Are they sold in pairs or can it be done individually?

Here's some pics:

what-a-mess!

·
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea it sux...I guess it tore like 2-3 weeks ago cause thats when I started to hear the clunking. Like I said I don't have a driveway so it's a hassle to brings stuff to the car far away. I'll clean the rim one of these days.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
Had both replaced for I think $200. included half shafts, boots but not alignment.

If its clunking, you probably are too late for just the rubber boot.

·
I don't sugarcoat!!
1995 Camry LE Coupe
393 Posts
Not sure this will help ya since it's a different car but I had a pair of rebuilt axles put on a 95 Civic for $450.

·
I smell McNuggets
1,011 Posts
I had that happen to me last winter. ABout 2 hours after i schedualed to have a shop look and replace the parts, the axel snapped. Do not just replace the boot. If your allready getting clicking, your axel is done for. The good news is that a decent shop should charge you about $250 per axel to cover both parts and labor. Also, if one is going, the other will be too. So you might as well jsut have both replaced at the same time.

·
Registered
191 Posts
You can just replace that CV boot by cutting out the old one and get it from the store, it comes in 2 pieces and oil, clue, around $30 for my old Corolla and either for my Tercel. If you would like to replace one piece like the original one, oh man, you need some tools. I've done it by borrowing my friend's tools. If you go to the shop, you can see 250-300 and replace the rebuilt one.
I know this sux.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
if you're actually hearing noise, then it's more than just the boot...

just go get a rebuilt half-axle

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts
It is a good practice to check those boots at every oil change.

Generally, the boots will be torn for quite a while before the joints start making noise. If you catch a torn boot early enough, you may be able to save the joint.

·
Registered
667 Posts
If you hear noise, your should replace the half shaft

Trus me, they have been ripped for more than 2 or 3 weeks. My buddy drove on his ripped for over a year before his made noise :)

I replaced the boots only on my 1995, it was a TON of work. Most of what you pay is labor.

I got mine in time so the axel and cv was ok, just replacing the boot did the trick.

Shops around me wanted $500-$600 to replace both sides with rebuilt half shafts. After doing it myself, I can say they earn the money.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got mine done for $180 (remanufactured parts + labour). I saw the man fixing it and I can say it should be a tough DIY.

·
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the info everyone...so basically if it's already clunking it's more then just the boot right?

is a half shaft and half axle the same thing?

is it really necessary to replace the whole axle let alone both like [sman] said?

am i better off letting the shop get me the parts or trying a junkyard or online vendor?

general concensus what should I be paying for this repair?

sorry for my ignorance but I am indeed a noob when it comes to repairs.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Halfshaft = halfaxle... reman axles aren't that expensive and certainly a viable alternative. Prolly a couple hundred all told, but as some have said it isn't the parts that get you it's the labor.

·
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yea man labor sux...I went to a "Goodyear" shop the other day to remove a screw from my tire (you can see i'm not having good luck with the car lately) and I noticed on their repair billboard the shop wants $79/hr for labor.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I know a CV shop that you can get the complete driveshaft for $109 plus shipping (1-800-338-2326). I've used them to order stuff before. Then once they arrive just take it to a shop and pay the labor to have them installed. No idea what shop labor is, but I can tell you that doing it myself is for crap, and is taking forever.

Also since one boot already split it's likely the other one is also already torn or is going to tear really soon. So replace both sides now. I thought only the passenger side was torn on mine, but when I examined the driver's side real closely it had a small tear already forming.

·
Registered
47 Posts
WOW listening to all of you guys gets me scared. I've changed axles on a bunch of cars.... granted some are tougher than others but DAMN yall make it sound like changing camry axles is the worst thing in the world............... Is it really that bad. I've done plenty of axle changes in less than an hour. Im gonna look in the chiltons and see what it really takes to change an axle on a camry.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts