Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
94Toyota
1994 Toyota Pickup
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys. I disconnected the radio that I installed from the Toyota wiring adapter. In this way I would eliminate the radio in my troubleshooting. After doing that, I removed my old battery and replaced it with a brand new Duralast battery with 600 cold cranking amps....more than my old battery. After installing the battery, making sure connections were tight and clean, and re-verifying that the radio is completely disconnected from the truck I proceeded to start the truck.

When I placed the key in the ignition I get the usual buzz sound and when I turn the key to ACC I get all my lights including headlights (I checked). Turning the key to ON I only get tat,tat,tat,tat....tat,tat,tat,tat. Truck still will not start and I get the exact same symptoms as when I had the old battery and the new radio installed! Now I have had the battery disconnected since Sunday. Does the new battery need to sit there a while to charge up the alternator....as you can see I'm not car electric literate. Is it possible that I fried something in the process of installing the radio...i.e. starter, alternator?????

Any help is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

THANKS.

·
0 to 60 in 2.4 miles
1994 Toyota Pickup
536 Posts
I think it was a matter of coincidence that the truck broke down when you installed your radio.Is the tat noise comming from your starter when you turn the key? If so sidney is your man to go to for more info :D Hell sidney is your man to go to period lol

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
Is that one "tat" each time you turn the key to start?

turn the headlights on when trying to start it. Observe if the headlights dim significantly or just slightly.

If you only get one "tat" and the lights don't dim much then it is likely to be a problem with the starter.

If the starter goes tat-tat-tat-tat in rapid succession and the headlights get real dim then you have a voltage supply or excessive current draw issue.

By the way, the battery does not "charge" the alternator it's the other way around. But you can have a bad battery that has very low capacity that can affect the alternator output. But that's another set of problems altogether.

·
www.bodybuilding.com
254 Posts
How old is the alternator?

·
94Toyota
1994 Toyota Pickup
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vicoor said:
Is that one "tat" each time you turn the key to start?

turn the headlights on when trying to start it. Observe if the headlights dim significantly or just slightly.

If you only get one "tat" and the lights don't dim much then it is likely to be a problem with the starter.

If the starter goes tat-tat-tat-tat in rapid succession and the headlights get real dim then you have a voltage supply or excessive current draw issue.

By the way, the battery does not "charge" the alternator it's the other way around. But you can have a bad battery that has very low capacity that can affect the alternator output. But that's another set of problems altogether.
True. But I installed a brand new battery so it's not a battery issue now. I took the old one back to autozone for my core charge.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
94Toyota said:
I installed a brand new battery so it's not a battery issue now.
I don't think I said anything at all about a bad battery:headbang:

·
94Toyota
1994 Toyota Pickup
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, I was kinda replying to everyone's posts at once.

I'll have to try what you said about the headlights. I know they turn on and everything in the interior lights as well as the power locks and alarm.

Maybe I have a bad battery cable or solenoid?

·
Banned
443 Posts
Vicoor said:
I don't think I said anything at all about a bad battery:headbang:
Don't ya love it when someone asks you for help, and you tell them what they need to do and they go do something entirely different and then come back and tell you it didn't work! :whatwhat:

·
Registered
111 Posts
You dont understand my friends gmc did the exact same thing put a battery in it and still did the same thing auto zone didnt put water in the battery, added water puff nice running truck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Batteries are not servicable anymore, there should be no need to add water, unless its an old battery, but then it would be worth it to just get a new battery. that sux that ur friends battery came without water... i would have taken it back.

Anyway, back to topic. Do the tests that Vicoor ordered. There are a few things that it could be. If it does one 'tat' once each time you turn the key, this means you have bad starter solenoid contacts (they are under 10 dollars), Usually only the positive side contact goes bad but it doesnt hurt to get an extra. If it goes "tat, tat, tat, tat... " (as in it keeps tat ing when you hold the key to the start position), this means the solenoid is not getting enough current to hold the circuit closed so it disables and enables repeatedly. Could be corroded wiring, corroded connections, bad battery, may even be a ignition problem.
Go here and read up:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml

well this should get you STARTED (lol couldnt resist) in the right direction.

-ja

·
94Toyota
1994 Toyota Pickup
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks fellas, the truck does go tat-tat-tat-tat several times when trying to start it. I will try the tests that Vicoor was talking about and see what happens. However, as I'm thinking about the negative battery cable, it was highly corroded and rusted. My next step, since I have a new battery now and radio is out of circuit, will be to check the connections for the positive and negative cables. I think if the connections are good I'll try changing out the negative battery cable and see what happens.
I'll keep you posted.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
More testing needed

The rapid fire "tat-a-tat-a-tat-a-tat" is usually indicative of a voltage supply issue. When you go to crank the engine the starter solenoid engages sending current to the starter motor which pulls the voltage down til the solenoid disengages then the voltage comes back up then the solenoid engages and the starter draws current pulling the voltage down.....

You get the picture?

If the battery is good and sufficiently charged then you want to inspect the cables and connections for problems that would limit the voltage supplied while high current is being drawn from the battery.

This is a good example of where Voltage Drop Testing comes in handy. And is likely to be the most efficient way to find this type of problem

Do a websearch for voltage drop testing

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am just suggesting yu check something as simple as if you can put water in th battery before you go on to more complicated things if there are caps on your battery and they come off then you can put water in but let yall figure it out now that was just my input.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts