Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what I could do to my 1996 v6 toyota camry 3.0L to make it better, performance wise (faster, better mpg, etc). someone mentioned to me a new hi-flow air filter, a new air intake, and a new muffler or exhaust. I know there isnt much to do for camrys but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Also i was wondering how much horse power gain do i have to have before i notice it? like will i notice a 10hp gain? thanks!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Give it a tuneup.

Change all the fluids over to synthetic.

I got some MPG from a dead-on, and not just in specification, alignment and run 36psi tire pressure.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
10hp gain? TUNE UP. Seafoam the engine. Clean the fuel injectors. Etc. Then, get a new y-pipe. The OBX Headers and y-pipe might be a good choice. An intake for that engine won't do anything but add sound. Personally, I notice horsepower increases in factors of about 10... but it's tricky to judge. You + car = dyno? Not really. :lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, i just got a tune up yesterday. i think im going to get a hi flow air filter and keep researching. some mechanic shop by me said they would look at it and come up with a cat back system, but that it wouldnt do any good unless i pulled more air in with work on the headers and intake. what is the most hp i could gain from these upgrades?

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
thanks, i just got a tune up yesterday. i think im going to get a hi flow air filter and keep researching. some mechanic shop by me said they would look at it and come up with a cat back system, but that it wouldnt do any good unless i pulled more air in with work on the headers and intake. what is the most hp i could gain from these upgrades?
I'm just gonna say this...

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
or i have the best 96, 3mz block, custom cai, trd super charger (good luck finding one), 5 speed manual

you can also get the 2mz cams from gabe (trd4life (glp performance))

like mentioned headers

smt 6(or 8) piggy back (only after a few other mods or else no worth it)

it all comes down to whats your budget.....

seems like you should SEARCH for the free mod series

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 95 es300 with a trd super charger installed for sale if you are interested for less than you buying just the trd itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts