Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
there is nothing on the market. and it will cost quite a bit for scissor type cams to be fabricated. the standard method of cam gears, won't work for any "efe" motor. its designed differently than a honda motor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dont listen to kene......5efhe cams would help you out...especially in the higher rpm's.
If you dont up the rev limiter to 8000, I probably wouldnt bother doing that.

·
Registered
238 Posts
them fightin words..

pardon me..i misread the questrion...i thought you were talking about cam gears.... yes the 5efhe ones will work for your vehicle. and there is supposedly a bit of added performance. but from the 4efte guys i've talked to....if you drive it excessivley hard, after a few runs...it seems like the slight gain that was there is no more. I have experienced this with my 5efhe motor myself.

but, yeah the 5efhe cams will work...there are no cam gears available for our engines, because the only option would be a scissor type cam gear. this is somewhat complicated when compared to the regular cam gears you see on a civic. on the 4efte and 5efe/5efhe the two cam gears are connected. once you take off the valve cover you'll see what im talking about.

·
Registered
15 Posts
kene said:
them fightin words..

pardon me..i misread the questrion...i thought you were talking about cam gears.... yes the 5efhe ones will work for your vehicle. and there is supposedly a bit of added performance. but from the 4efte guys i've talked to....if you drive it excessivley hard, after a few runs...it seems like the slight gain that was there is no more. I have experienced this with my 5efhe motor myself.

but, yeah the 5efhe cams will work...there are no cam gears available for our engines, because the only option would be a scissor type cam gear. this is somewhat complicated when compared to the regular cam gears you see on a civic. on the 4efte and 5efe/5efhe the two cam gears are connected. once you take off the valve cover you'll see what im talking about.
The added bonus goes away?
Where does it go?
Seriously...wtf...
I have beat the crap out of mine and my performance is not degrading.

·
Registered
238 Posts
maybe because your so high in the power band it doesn't make a significant difference.

I'm at around 97Hp(estimated) with my 5efhe(5efe ecu & injectors). a 3 hp drop for me would make much more of a difference, than your 200hp+ motor..tht might be why you don't see it...

during the hot days of summer in cali, the motor runs liek there was no performance aspect in mind when they made it. once night fall hits then everything is good. usually around night time i can drive much more aggressively, and many times more than in the hot day. I attribute this to the effect of the cold weather on the motor vs the hot weather. when its cold, it seems the motor is within the designed tolerances. when its hot(usually 96+degrees Farenheit in thesummer) the mmetals in the motor expand. therefore in a way it is running out of the engineered parameters for it.

Look at it like this...In japan, there are no deserts and such and the weather in most cases is no where near what we experience here in Cali over the summer. so i basically took an engine designed primarily with one environment in mind, and moved it to another anvironment.

Now this doesn't mean the engine won't work. In most cases it just means that the engine might not perform at its engineered best. Now toyota engineers keep the idea in mind that the cars they design will be sold over seas. so they try and spread the tolerance parameters over a wider board, vs their evironment's altitude, climate, and humidity of japan.

Although now i beleive it is different, simply because toyotas are now being built in mexico, various states in the U.S., and Canada. So I'm pretty sure the engineers are sending em down the assembly line with our various climates in mind.

sorry if i went too indepth...i know its not directly related to the original post.

·
Registered
238 Posts
and when i speak of the slight gain going away.....let me correct myself...it is still there when you compare my 5efhe to my old 3ee, but it is not as much as before i started driveing it hard. If i let the engine cool down for about 20-30 min(turn it off), then its at the peak of its game once i turn it on again. I also think that the valve retainers play a part as well.(on my old 3ee that is, not sure about 5efe). when you drive real hard, I think it puts some strain on the original factory retainers. but if you were to have changed them with new ones. i honestly doubt there would be a problem. this is all in part due to the fact that there would be less wear and tear on them.

when i took my old 3ee valve cover off to change the valve stem seals, i saw that my retainers were a scorched blue in most places. this indicates that there was some serious heat being created. something as simple as this could do some molecular damage to the parts(not all parts...some are engineered like this. basically, when it was made this was taken into account.), causing them to not retain their physical attributes.(metalistic strength)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I never said I didnt notice it.
There was a noticeable gain.
And it doesnt go away and come back later after sitting.
It is there all the time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts