Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2004 matrix , 2009 corolla S #modstar
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all I own a 2004 base matrix that my wife bought off her best friend's parents for 2k with 80k miles . I love to tinker and noticed struts were bad . So I was doing the front driver side strut . KYB shocks , they 12mm nut they sent didn't fit on the thread , so I was forced to use the original nut. Upon tightening one of them kinda of snapped and now I am at a crossroads as to what I should do ? I drove it home from work fine and did a kinda crazy test drive . They felt fine but haven't done a highway drive. Do I have to replace the whole strut? Does Kyb owe me a strut or nah ?

· Registered
2,272 Posts
It depends. Usually when people say shock they could mean the actual shock itself or the whole strut assembly. If you purchased a quick strut or assembly, yeah sure you could try to get them to replace it. However, if you did just the shock itself... shocks usually do not come with a top hat. The top hat pivots the shock shaft and is the component that houses the stud you mentioned.

I think the original nuts are better in general just because of the amount of thread engagement you get is typically more than aftermarket for the most part. Also, torque wrenches are good to have to get things into spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It depends. Usually when people say shock they could mean the actual shock itself or the whole strut assembly. If you purchased a quick strut or assembly, yeah sure you could try to get them to replace it. However, if you did just the shock itself... shocks usually do not come with a top hat. The top hat pivots the shock shaft and is the component that houses the stud you mentioned.

I think the original nuts are better in general just because of the amount of thread engagement you get is typically more than aftermarket for the most part. Also, torque wrenches are good to have to get things into spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is a quick strut . So where the bolt threads onto went bye bye. So I'm only 2 are holding it now.

· I wrench, therefore I am!
1,745 Posts
What snapped? Your words are kinda' confusing, maybe send a pic?

Or are you saying that a new bolt, an integrel part of the quickstut unit, snapped when you tightened the nut down on it?

What torque setting were you using and how long was the wrench/breaker bar? Really damn tight with a 24" bar will snap stuff.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Or are you saying that a new bolt, an integrel part of the quickstut unit, snapped when you tightened the nut down on it?

What torque setting were you using and how long was the wrench/breaker bar? Really damn tight with a 24" bar will snap stuff.
I had to use the old nut to tighten at the top because the new ones that came with it were falling straight through and not catching . When I went to torque it at 29ft lbs . It just kept spinning then finally snapped , and after that I just left the rest and didn't trust the torque wrench . Only 1 other bolt clicked into 29 ft lbs the others I just left tight because I'm scared to snap them . I did it with the weight of the vehicle , I hoping thats not what messed me up

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Rim Automotive wheel system

· Registered
72 Posts
If you can return it, the best way is to return and get a new one. Otherwise, you might be able to fix it. I stripped the thread on mine when I had my nissan altima. I managed to push the stud out (grabbed it with vise grip, wiggled and twisted it until it came lose) and replaced it with a regular bolt. I am not sure if it is doable in struts on the corolla.

· I wrench, therefore I am!
1,745 Posts
I did it with the weight of the vehicle , I hoping thats not what messed me up .

I have no idea what you did with the weight of the vehicle, but if you were doing it with a torque wrench, it should never snap.

You have a defective part. I hope you have a reliable supplier who will send you a new one and issue a refund when you return the defective.

· イリジウム
15,418 Posts
If you tried to torque to 29 lb/ft and the bolt snapped, then RETURN the whole assembly and get another one. I would not be driving with only two holding the mount.

Another problem might be with your torque wrench. My primary torque wrenches are the cheap $9.99 Harbor Freight ones (I do have US-made Danaher Craftsmans). HFT ones have been fine. One time I warrantied a 3/8" with a broken ratchet and got one that was made in China, which slowly stopped clicking. I ended up warranty exchanged a Taiwan one weeks later and it's been fine since. HFT has batches of Taiwan, China and Vietnam torque wrenches depending on when you check them.

Since I don't know which one is your real problem, I'd just get a replacement assembly and a replacement torque wrench. Some members like Tekton on Amazon, if you think HFT is too much of a crapshoot. Or you can check out HFT's Icon line of torque wrenches too.

Do I have to replace the whole strut?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you tried to torque to 29 lb/ft and the bolt snapped, then RETURN the whole assembly and get another one. I would not be driving with only two holding the mount.

Another problem might be with your torque wrench. My primary torque wrenches are the cheap $9.99 Harbor Freight ones (I do have US-made Danaher Craftsmans). HFT ones have been fine. One time I warrantied a 3/8" with a broken ratchet and got one that was made in China, which slowly stopped clicking. I ended up warranty exchanged a Taiwan one weeks later and it's been fine since. HFT has batches of Taiwan, China and Vietnam torque wrenches depending on when you check them.

Since I don't know which one is your real problem, I'd just get a replacement assembly and a replacement torque wrench. Some members like Tekton on Amazon, if you think HFT is too much of a crapshoot. Or you can check out HFT's Icon line of torque wrenches too.
I head back in the shop on monday ill try some things out, last thing i want to do is have to deal with rockauto customer service and try to get another strut, but if i have to I will , thanks .

· イリジウム
15,418 Posts
You can select defective part and warranty it that way with Rockauto. I'm not sure if the warehouse is going to whine about a broken stud.

If you used PayPal then they offer return shipping charge refund. So if all goes smooth you'll just be out some time in between and no money out of pocket.

I head back in the shop on monday ill try some things out, last thing i want to do is have to deal with rockauto customer service and try to get another strut, but if i have to I will , thanks .

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can select defective part and warranty it that way with Rockauto. I'm not sure if the warehouse is going to whine about a broken stud.

If you used PayPal then they offer return shipping charge refund. So if all goes smooth you'll just be out some time in between and no money out of pocket.
Hey brother thanks, did the return they sent me the strut I just replaced it . Drove about a week or 2 with 2 bolts. But I made it .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.