Toyota Nation Forum banner

upping hp/torque

3K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  zoni 
#1 ·
I have a 96 1mz-fe. So far all I have done is intake (rs akimoto) and exhaust (hayame custom cat back). I want my car to accelerate faster.... it seems to be holding back (to me atleast). The car is an automatic. The question is what could I do to make the car climb through RPM faster, take off quicker etc? What would be the next things I should do to my engine for moderate performance gain (not planning on running a turbo quite yet but in the near future). Last question... I see people upgrading there ignitions... what would this do for the car? My plan was to get a apexi S-AFC II, then get new injectors and a new fuel pump.

robehsi

#2 ·
i dont think rippmod makes headers for my engine. i cant find any ud pulleys either only for the 2.2l engine. i would love some headers if anyone knows where to find them. i also saw a thread where tony was talking about boring out your throttle body... i think im gonna try that aswell. any other upgrads out there for this engine?

robehsi

#6 ·
the way you "up" torque and horsepower is to make the engine processes accelerate and flow better. the engine is a huge air pump and purges out gas. if you can get more air in and more gas out then you will be increasing horsepower.

why do you want to increase it anyway? are you going to race in an auto?

#7 ·
UfoZ8myCow said:
rod lengths, etc... but thats not really minor stuff like you said you were looking for.
Pretty sure that engine has an in-head cam. But I may be wrong.

Performance Cam. mmmm.... The internals are what you want. Screw all that turbo talk. High compression heads/pistons. Ported intake/exhaust. Forged crank. All the fun stuff!

But that takes work. And no one wants to do that:D

#8 ·
SmokingTiresV6 said:
Pretty sure that engine has an in-head cam. But I may be wrong.

Performance Cam. mmmm.... The internals are what you want. Screw all that turbo talk. High compression heads/pistons. Ported intake/exhaust. Forged crank. All the fun stuff!

Piston/rod kits for the 5SFE are expensive, around 1.5k for 11-1 CR pistons with billet rods.

If I find a better job over the summer, I'll dive for 'em, but we'll see how that goes.

#9 · (Edited)
Cheapest way is to run smaller wheels, but then your speedo would be off. Or change gearing in your trans if possible. The other ways are engine mods but everyone else is covering that. You would lose on topend but your car will pickup be faster.

SmokingTiresV6 said:

You sound like you are thinking along same lines as me. was wondering, since 3Z is non interference head, can we shave it for a few more points?

Trying to stay out of the forced induction business right now. Want to try it old style. Cams, Headers, shiny ports...Will pass on the crank, but dont forget the valve springs and bigger valves. Going shopping for an 3z head and V6 intake soon.

#10 ·
I'm looking for a cheap/even broken intake from a 3vz-fe. I want to see how far I can push it with porting. Finding a cam is the big thing. I'm thinking of looking into (if they aren't already made) having Comp Cam custom make one. They're top of the line.

And of course dream.... Stroker kit (over-bored) *drooling*

robehsi: If your car is an auto (manual guys already know they can), you can have your gear ratio changed to fit your accel needs. However... The more accel you change for, the lower your top-speed will be.

#12 ·
Pleantly safe at low psi. I know the 3vz-fe kit is starting at $2400. I assume it would be same range for yours. They are suppose to be finishing up tuning in the next few months. No final date yet.

Treat it well, and the turbo will do you tons of good with no hurt. Run it hard, it can destroy a stock engine. Pistons have been known to go right through the side of the engine block.

#20 ·
tony has the JP performance headers, yes they will fit.

info on fitting the trd s/c into a gen 3...
http://www.gibson99.com/camry/95se/

the shiftgate performance turbo kit will be out in the next couple months and will be offered for around 2500 bucks US. this kit will be badass and it will be a full complete kit. You wont NEED to buy anything else to be boosting. you may want to get an s-afc and boost controller and turbo timer, but they arent totally needed.

check back on the shiftgate website on the status page to see how its going...

#21 ·
I know SummitRacing carries headers for Gen3 Camrys. But not sure is they work for Gen 3.5. Check out their site to see.

And that turbo kit is bad ass! Check out the site. And bring some napkin. Drooling is pretty much instinct:D

I am personally waiting for them to start perfecting the stage kits. That stage 3 is going to be insane!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.