Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I discovered that my '99 corolla not only has an antifreeze leak, but the reservoir is empty. I need to get this fixed asap as I can't drive the car right now. I assume there's some sort of seal that's no good or the line has a hole in it. The area in question is on the driver side, beside the reservoir. Below are some pictures I took. The first one is from the top down, while the other one is kind of from the bottom up. This seems to be the only place it's leaking from. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm...well I did just have my compressor replaced. I went without AC for a year or so. My mechanic didn't see any leaks at the time, but to be safe added some dye in case it did start leaking, so I guess that's what the green is. Now that I think about it, my compressor has sounded a bit rough the last day or two. Well if it is the compressor then, I guess I just need to add more antifreeze since the reservoir is empty?

·
Dishin out facts
1999 rolla
495 Posts
damn thats a bad leak. Has your car been dropping coolant levels frequently? Usually coolant systems are suppose to be sealed systems. At the very greatest a couple of ml loss, not entire tank.

·
Registered
2010 Camry
157 Posts
Hmm...well I did just have my compressor replaced. I went without AC for a year or so. My mechanic didn't see any leaks at the time, but to be safe added some dye in case it did start leaking, so I guess that's what the green is. Now that I think about it, my compressor has sounded a bit rough the last day or two. Well if it is the compressor then, I guess I just need to add more antifreeze since the reservoir is empty?
I'd say top the coolant off but don't disregard it completely. Keep an eye on your reservoir. If it continues going low, keep an eye out of white residue and take it to a repair shop as soon as you can. As for the present leak, go back to your mechanic and have him check the pressure on the AC system. It may be the dye leaking out

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
09 Avalon XL
820 Posts
That is the green dye added to your AC system for leak detection. It has been leaking for a long time. Check the seal right at that fitting. The bolt might be frozen, so use plenty of PBlaster

As for your coolant leak, there are many sources to hazard a guess.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I fixed a coolant leak recently on my 1999 Toyota Corolla. The leak was at the top of the radiator. That is apparently a common leak location as the plastic top of the radiator may develop some separation from the metal radiator core, over time.

There's no easy way to see where your leak is coming from other than looking. Hopefully, you are using the Toyota red coolant, so it should make it easier to spot. Park your car on a clean ground, then look for coolant on the ground after you let the car sit for a while. This will give you a starting point to try to pinpoint where your leak is. Other likely leak locations are radiator hoses and water pump. Good luck.

Oh, and until you find your leak, drive with a bottle of distilled water in your car and make sure your radiator and reservoir are filled up. The cooling system is a closed system, and I don't think that you would normally need to add coolant if everything is working OK and you don't have a leak. The best case is maybe your plastic reservoir has a crack, but this is very unlikely.

·
ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
09 Avalon XL
820 Posts
Thanks for the info. Hopefully the new ac compressor isn't ruined. I've disconnected the power to it until I can get it looked at. Looks like I have a couple problems to fix.
I would suspect the compressor is damaged because of one of your previous comments saying it sounded a bit noisy. You don't want to do this again in the heat of the summer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well this compressor is brand new. Had it installed 2 weeks ago. It wasn't making a lot if noise, just enough to be noticeable.

Edit: my mechanic didn't see a leak but put dye in just in case. I guess I'm still at fault though if the compressor is ruined.

As for the coolant, I added distilled water and took it for a drive. Couldn't find a leak but I'll keep an eye on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.