Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
05 PreRunner DC LB
25 Posts
Hi All -

Just thought I'd share my install. It was fairly easy removing the head unit and rear half of the console to get this done. The entire job took about 80 minutes. See pics of finished job and steps to complete below.

Steps:
1) Remove AC control panel. It is friction-fit and comes out with little effort once the prying begins. TIP: I used a wooden popsicle stick to pry the AC panel out so as not to scratch the dash or console. Disconnect the wires and get it out of your way.

2) Remove four bolts holding head unit (they are the four larger ones) and slide the entire head unit out. It is the whole center section of the dash board. Carefully disconnect the wires and get this out of your way.

3) Pop the shift cover off. It too is friction-fit and with a little care (and a popsicle stick) it came out with ease.

4) Remove rear half of center console. The two main bolts are hidden under the liner in the storage bin. There are two more screws under the shift cover panel that will allow the entire back console half to pop right out.

5) Disassemble the DF-TOY from the RCA input end.

6) Use the end cap of the DF-TOY as a template for drilling holes in the wall of the storage bin. I drilled each hole individually rather than opening one large hole for everything. This added strength to the final product.

7) Fish the wire that came with the DF-TOY through the dash and under the console. I removed the glove box to help in this area.

8) After holes were drilled it was a simple matter of mounting the DF-TOY to the underside of the console with the end cap on the inside of the console. The side wall of the console is sandwiched between DF-TOY's end cap and main housing.

9) Put everything back together again.

10) Pop open a beverage and enjoy the sounds of your MP3 player (or any other RCA adapted audio device) emanating from your stock head unit,

MrSh^rkey

·
The Thread Killer
Taco DC 4X4 SR5
781 Posts

All I see are red X's :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice!

Quick question -- with the DF-TOY, how do you select the alternate inputs? And can you still play a CD with the stock unit after adding the mod?

·
Registered
27 Posts
You just plug the cord into the back of your current (stock) stereo and you now have two AUX inputs on the stereo. Yes, your CD player works just the same as always.

To get to the two different AUX inputs, you just hit the "Track Up" button once for the first AUX and hit it twice for the second AUX input. If you hit it one more time, it takes you back to the car's CD. -Steve

·
Registered
348 Posts
I got this in my truck to listen yo my MP3 player and am very happy with the sound quality, sounds as good as a CD. You can buy them at Circuit City for ease. Order it on line and get there within 24 minutes, if its not ready you get a $24 gift card. :cool: Lets just say they couldn't find mine so now I got a gift card:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Tacoma regular cab
125 Posts
One final time.

Let me get this straight.

This works with the stock, non JBL, stereo with no CD changer.

Correct?

·
In The REAL Norcal...
2005 Taco DC 4X4
296 Posts
Frank...yes it will.....all toyota stereo's have the plug in for the cd changer....jbl or not......I don't have this product...but I did go with the neo-ion ipod product for my taco.

·
Registered
Tacoma regular cab
125 Posts
Crap
I thought I wasn't going to have to do anything today.

Now I am going to have to run to the store and pick me up an adapter.

Thanks for the info

Although if it's true that all of the Toyota stereo's come with a port for a CD changer. I might choose a different brand.

Got any ideas?

·
Engine 80 is in service
'10 FJ Cruiser 4x4
1,040 Posts
Now... who's found the cheapest price on one?

·
Registered
Tacoma X-Runner
29 Posts
mine was like $70 - $75

I have non-JBL 6 disc

when I push CD it switches between DF-Toy and CD Changer

I have no disc 6 slot available because I have 2 great new inputs there

Only used it for 3 weeks before I put it away for the winter.

ps - Awesome DYI write up

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
ok so this thing just "plugs" into the back of my non Cd changer deck? no splicing anything ? :confused:

this sounds too easy.

·
Registered
05 PreRunner DC LB
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Too Easy - Big Thanks

Lotust - Yes, some things are just too easy.

CamX2Runner - Thanks! I torqued around with the images for 20 min and couldn't get them to work. I attempted to use the

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just tried this today. Picked up the DF-TOY at Circuit City, drove home, took the radio off, plugged it in and POP! Followed by a nasty hissing sound and smoke emanating from the DF-TOY. :eek: Ack!!!

Think maybe I'll have to try this one again with a new unit. The factory radio seems to have survived the ordeal (at least the radio and CD work okay, I hope the CD-changer inputs that the DF-TOY plugs into haven't been blown out)!

·
Registered
32 Posts
with this unit and the ipod does it display the current song and change songs all through the radio controls, or do I have to get the $120 unit to do that?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Der Eslupmi said:
I just tried this today. Picked up the DF-TOY at Circuit City, drove home, took the radio off, plugged it in and POP! Followed by a nasty hissing sound and smoke emanating from the DF-TOY. :eek: Ack!!!

Think maybe I'll have to try this one again with a new unit. The factory radio seems to have survived the ordeal (at least the radio and CD work okay, I hope the CD-changer inputs that the DF-TOY plugs into haven't been blown out)!
wow, hope everything is ok. Did you have the power turned on to the radio when you plugged in the DF-TOY? I would exchange it for a new one and hope it works out.

·
05 DC TRD Off Road
178 Posts
with this unit and the ipod does it display the current song and change songs all through the radio controls, or do I have to get the $120 unit to do that?
You have to get the more expensive one made for the iPod to do that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Does anyone know if this, or some mod like this, will work on the JBL 6 disk changer? Is there an input available for XM? I just found out from the dealer that they don't put XM running through the JBL head unit...the Toyota regional rep was even there, and he told me to go get a cheap-ass Roady thing and use the FM modulator, but I don't want that shit. I want it direct wired at least. I'd prefer the display of songs, stations, etc. through the main head unit, but if not possible, I at least want the XM wired to it so it sounds better than the FM modulation crap. Thanks! My 06 DBL CAb off-road, tow package, JBL, big skid plate, and a bunch of other shit in Indigo Ink Pearl should be coming soon. Saw production sheet and only 11 were "allocated" to my region (illinois) the way I want mine. If my dealer isn't "allocated" one, they are"sure" they can trade a dealer for one. This blows. Been waiting since september. All this time thought XM would be nice factory package deal with the JBL.salesman assured me it was...found out Thursday it's not. Great.

Thanks for any input you might have!

1 - 20 of 239 Posts