Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
92and06TOYS said:
Does anyone know if this, or some mod like this, will work on the JBL 6 disk changer? Is there an input available for XM? I just found out from the dealer that they don't put XM running through the JBL head unit...the Toyota regional rep was even there, and he told me to go get a cheap-ass Roady thing and use the FM modulator, but I don't want that shit. I want it direct wired at least. I'd prefer the display of songs, stations, etc. through the main head unit, but if not possible, I at least want the XM wired to it so it sounds better than the FM modulation crap. Thanks! My 06 DBL CAb off-road, tow package, JBL, big skid plate, and a bunch of other shit in Indigo Ink Pearl should be coming soon. Saw production sheet and only 11 were "allocated" to my region (illinois) the way I want mine. If my dealer isn't "allocated" one, they are"sure" they can trade a dealer for one. This blows. Been waiting since september. All this time thought XM would be nice factory package deal with the JBL.salesman assured me it was...found out Thursday it's not. Great.

Thanks for any input you might have!
If your XM radio device has a headphone output or something that you can make into a L and R audio output than you can have a direct input with the DF-TOY for a clear signal. You wont be able to see the names of songs or stuff like that tho. And I also have a JBL system in my truck and know this unit works with it. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
well I got the metra - wire tunes thing off ebay (same as circuit city sells for $110) for a total of $12 off ebay, hopefully it will work.

·
Registered
78 Posts
nachos615 said:
well I got the metra - wire tunes thing off ebay (same as circuit city sells for $110) for a total of $12 off ebay, hopefully it will work.
Hey nacho..what is the metra wire tunes thing? is it a multi input thingy to be able to hook up xm and ipod and mp3 etc? All i want is XM. How do you hook the metra thing up? If there is a single input on back of JBL head unit..then could I just hook the xm up to that? Does anyone know if there are available inputs on the back of the JBL?
Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thank You Mr. Sharky!

I just used your advice to install the USA spec device. Everything went quite well. I just wanted to say I appreciate the advice on this one, as it not only saved me quite a bit of time, but I don't think I would have come up with that location on my own.

Finished the job, execpt for the antenae install. Haven't quite figured out where I will put it yet. Might just leave it on the dash. I'm going to search some ideas for that as well.

Thanks again!

·
Tacomania
200 Posts
So, when you add this to your 6 disk changer. Do you lose the changer capability?

·
Registered
64 Posts
toydriver00 said:
So, when you add this to your 6 disk changer. Do you lose the changer capability?
Absolutely not. I have the 6-disk changer and it works perfect. You keep pressing the "Disk" button to select the different devices.

·
Tacomania
200 Posts
Cool thanks! I am going to go buy one today!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've installed the TOY03-AUX (similiar product) in both my Tacoma and in my wife's Sequoia and they both work great. 100000 times better than those lousy FM transmitters. Crystal clear sound.

·
Registered
18 Posts
specifics on how to remove center console and glove box? i tried takin the carpet out but it seems glued. and you took the top off of where you shift?

·
Registered
64 Posts
skep said:
specifics on how to remove center console and glove box? i tried takin the carpet out but it seems glued. and you took the top off of where you shift?
Yeah, it just prys off right around the shifter. Same with the AC controls. The bigger part of the console under the shifter you need to take out the coin holder and remove the 2 screws in the back. I actually used a fin (from a surfboard) to get in the cracks to pry it up. Worked Real trick, cause it has a thin trailing edge on it.

The glove box needs to be lowered all the way down (take the tension spring on the right side off first though. After you lower it down, you can pop it off the bottom.

·
Registered
18 Posts
BoneDaddy said:
Yeah, it just prys off right around the shifter. Same with the AC controls. The bigger part of the console under the shifter you need to take out the coin holder and remove the 2 screws in the back. I actually used a fin (from a surfboard) to get in the cracks to pry it up. Worked Real trick, cause it has a thin trailing edge on it.

The glove box needs to be lowered all the way down (take the tension spring on the right side off first though. After you lower it down, you can pop it off the bottom.
thanks helped a lot, hope to install tomrrow

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just installed mine yesterday. I put the box inside the console in front of the cup holder that comes out. I soldered a 1/8 inch jack to the Y adaper, but I havn't mounted it yet. I'm not sure where I want to drill the hole. Like everyone else says volume is a little lower. I'm playing mp3's on a Palm next thing is a bluetooth GPS reciever for it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hey i connected the df toy and before i put everything back i tested it out. i turn the car on and the radio doesn't work. i get power to everything else but the radio like the air bag light and clock work and the emergency lights but not the radio. i disconnected the dftoy to see if the radio will turn back on but it doesn't. dont know wut to do thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
nachos615 said:
So Nacho did the ebay Metra thingie work? Let me know I am thinking about buying it myself

·
Tacomania
200 Posts
I installed mine yesterday. It works awesome. It is definatly worth every penny. My FM modulated XM unit would barely come in. Now, it comes in awesome.

21 - 40 of 239 Posts