Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
D33P$3T
2010 Camry SE
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking about getting an amp and sub installed on my 2010 Camry Se, which has the basic headunit and speakers that came with the car. Is it possible to use the stock headunit and add the sub and amp to it, or does in not have what's necessary to connect them, resulting in me to get a new head-unit, which I don't want to do? Thanks

·
07 Camry I4
07 Toyota Camry LE
222 Posts
You can use the stock headunit, since I had done it a while ago, you just need a LOC (Line Out Converter) to get the sound from the rear speakers to your amp.

·
07 Camry I4
07 Toyota Camry LE
222 Posts
no problem...although you may not get quite the quality of sound that you want without going after-market! Once I put the pioneer deck in it was a day and night difference!

What type of system u putting in the car?

·
D33P$3T
2010 Camry SE
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not exactly sure lol, I'm going to an audio shop tomorrow to check out what they have and how much installation chargers are. My friend has an amp and sub box that he is looking to get rid of to upgrade, so I might just buy some of his stuff and add the rest. It's fine if it's not 100% good quality. I just want some oomphh in the car :)

·
07 Camry I4
07 Toyota Camry LE
222 Posts
haha, i hear ya! In that case, it will definitely give you the "oomphh" you are looking for! ;)

Best of luck on your install. If you need any pointers, I can't come down to help as it would be quite a drive...lol...but I am sure there are plenty of ppl on this forum who will be able to help you out.

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2021 Toyota Camry TRD
3,245 Posts

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
The LOC uses the input wires to the rear speakers and possibly a power source. It outputs one or two RCAs which then go into the amplifier. Some amps have high-level inputs so it may not be necessary to use a separate LOC.

What type of music do you listen to? There are different enclosures for subs and they have a big effect on how your music will sound. Sealed will be more accurate, cleaner and punchy; while ported enclosures are louder and more boomy. Sealed is better for things like rock and instrumental music. For rap and hip-hop ported will generally sound better. There is more than this, but these are the most common.

What are the specs on the amp and sub you are buying?

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2021 Toyota Camry TRD
3,245 Posts
Thanks that would be awsome. Do you know how to wire the Line Out Converter too?
the JBL system has an amp under the pass seat so that was simple. For yours we would probably have to get to the back of the HU and wire it up back there. That or we could wire it right from the rear deck

·
D33P$3T
2010 Camry SE
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
touringcamry: A friend of mine actually has 2 sub's in one box, but I'm still waiting on his response to see what he has and I might just end up buying a new amp or something if my other friend doesn't upgrade his soon.

BlackCamSe: Yea whatever way of wiring it is fine with me, since I have no idea lol. But I'll let you know what kind of subs and amps that mine friends have for sale, before buying them, cause I don't want to get the wrong ones. As for the wiring and other small items needed for the installation, do you have a good audio shop in Seaside, to get the stuff?

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2021 Toyota Camry TRD
3,245 Posts
touringcamry: A friend of mine actually has 2 sub's in one box, but I'm still waiting on his response to see what he has and I might just end up buying a new amp or something if my other friend doesn't upgrade his soon.

BlackCamSe: Yea whatever way of wiring it is fine with me, since I have no idea lol. But I'll let you know what kind of subs and amps that mine friends have for sale, before buying them, cause I don't want to get the wrong ones. As for the wiring and other small items needed for the installation, do you have a good audio shop in Seaside, to get the stuff?
Theres a few in the area. I got the line out converter at auto image for like 25 bucks. And my subs amp and wiring kit from 6th ave electronics city in brick. You can get the same setup I have for about 600

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
Two subs in one box doesn't say much because those two cchambers could be sealed or ported. Test out your music on there first if you haven't already done so and make sure you like the way it sounds first and it doesn't get annoying after a few minutes.

Sealed and ported are the two most common enclosures and they sound very different.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Most amps have a low pass crossover built in

from what I gathered from his post 'of which i may have interpreted incorrectly' he is using the output that goes TO the rear speakers giving him a 'high' input for the amp..... if he hooked that up to the input of the amp it will fry.

Although I may have misunderstood and if I did i apologize.

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2021 Toyota Camry TRD
3,245 Posts
from what I gathered from his post 'of which i may have interpreted incorrectly' he is using the output that goes TO the rear speakers giving him a 'high' input for the amp..... if he hooked that up to the input of the amp it will fry.

Although I may have misunderstood and if I did i apologize.
thats what the line out converter is for.

·
D33P$3T
2010 Camry SE
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My friend said he has the Lanzar Vector 2000 Watt. Anyone know if its good? He had it in his car for less than a month, but took it out because his car broke down. He said $100 for it, but I could prolly get it for less

1 - 20 of 26 Posts