Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys, So i go to make my first oil change on the 2008 Tacoma and i unscrew the bolt and red fluid came out. Obviously i knew exactly what i did. Unscrewed the AT pan. I lost a little bit of fluid before i found the bolt and put it back on. But this had me wondering. I have seen all over to use TOYOTA transmission fluid ONLY. Is this true? The last thing i want to do is ruin my baby. Also what happens if you use a Synthetic ATF? What is the extent of the damage? Thanks...

Until next time

·
My Other Truck
4,150 Posts
Oops!! Well if it's any consolation, you're not the first (and no, I have not done it, but several people have....).

As far as I know, Toyota's WS fluid is the only suitable ATF. I have heard Amsoil makes compatible fluid but I don't know for sure. And I have no idea what might go wrong (or what it could cost). Why not just use the stuff Toyota recommends?

Oh btw, welcome to TN! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok soooo... what happens if i put some synthetic in and drove to the store? Could i just drain it out and replace with Toyota ATF? I would sure hate to lose my transmission.

·
lover of teh boobies
'05 Tacoma AccessCab
2,547 Posts
ok soooo... what happens if i put some synthetic in and drove to the store? Could i just drain it out and replace with Toyota ATF? I would sure hate to lose my transmission.
You really believe that the oil didn't mix with what was left in the transmission? :lol:

No my friend. It is not still separate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
very funny, of corse they mixed. Ill be calling the dealership tomorrow morning to get a flush. Thanks

·
Take off, eh!
1,428 Posts
To OP:

To clarify, did you actually put any fluid (of any type) at all back in?

The WS auto tranny has 3 bolts:

1. Drain (which you found)
  2. Fill
  3. Overflow
See thread here for locations:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326809

So which one did you take off?

If you didn't put any back, how much do you estimate you lost - like 1/2 a quart, or just a few spoonfuls.
If you did, how did you know how much to replace (i.e. did you jumper pins 4 & 13 like in the write up to get tranny to display when at proper temp to refill until trickling out overflow hole?

I'm asking because that will help decide what to do next.

BTW, IMHO *Flushes* using a machine are not a good idea. Either use the internal pump like Mountain Lions post above, or just let them do a drain & refill (or DIY). Flushes are great at stirring up crap & blocking channels & solenoids. I also asked my Dealership as few years back when I was near the 100,000 km mark if they would do a flush. "absolutely not, Toyota does not recommend them" was the reply. Did drain & refill x2 (they screwed up the first one, so got second one free).

Yes I know this is a 3rd party commercial site (Amsoil), but take the time to read it - it is a warning about flushes:
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/filter_man_council01.pdf

Also consider that unless the dealership has a dedicated machine that has only ever seen WS fluid, you would be getting a blend of other tranny fluids (like T-IV) from what residual fluids remain. How likely is is they have a "WS only machine"? Plus whatever crap is left in the machine from the last vehicle. Yeah, no thanks.

Geoff

·
Registered
125 Posts
I replaced the WS in my tranny with Amsoil Low Vis at 65k miles per mountain lion's post and the WS was not cherry. The amsoil works fine in the tranny (15k so far) and will do drain and fills in the future.:cool:

·
Registered
83 Posts
What's up guys, So i go to make my first oil change on the 2008 Tacoma and i unscrew the bolt and red fluid came out. Obviously i knew exactly what i did. Unscrewed the AT pan. I lost a little bit of fluid before i found the bolt and put it back on. But this had me wondering. I have seen all over to use TOYOTA transmission fluid ONLY. Is this true? The last thing i want to do is ruin my baby. Also what happens if you use a Synthetic ATF? What is the extent of the damage? Thanks...

Until next time

You can use any brand transmission fluid you want as long as it meets the Toyota WS performance standard and no harm will come to your Tacoma's transmission. In others words, Toyota isn't the only company that offers Toyota WS rated transmission fluid. There are many different brands of transmission fluid that meet or exceed the Toyota WS performance standard. Look on the bottle of transmission fluid to see if it lists the Toyota WS performance specification. If it does, then you're good to go. Whether the transmission fluid in question is old dead dinosaur technology fluid, (petroleum), or state of the art synthetic transmission fluid is irrelevant. All that matters is that it meet or exceed the Toyota WS performance standard.

A synthetic automatic transmission fluid will perform much better than a petroleum based transmission fluid and if you added Toyota WS rated synthetic transmission fluid to the transmission, you'd not be doing your transmission any favors by draining it out. Quite the opposite. Synthetic based fluids can protect far better than petroleum based fluids. It's like taking candy from a baby.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I replaced the WS in my tranny with Amsoil Low Vis at 65k miles per mountain lion's post and the WS was not cherry. The amsoil works fine in the tranny (15k so far) and will do drain and fills in the future.:cool:
AMSOIL synthetic automatic transmission fluid is also Toyota WS rated, so you're good to go. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you go with amsoil make sure it's the low viscosity which is WS compliant. The regular synthetic ATF is not.:cool:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes, but not so much regular transmission fluid as in different types with different ratings. AMSOIL offers several different synthetic ATF's to meet a broad range of needs to meet different performance standards, i.e. Toyota Type IV or Toyota WS, etc. :)

·
Tennessee Tacoma Pilot
Honda VFR800 & Taco
214 Posts
I just did the flush last week and it is a rewarding experience in that if you simply read the post http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=326809 and follow the instructions and have any mechanical at all, you will be fine.

He does get a bit long winded when it came to the input output lines off the transmission but the ones you are looking for are on the passenger side at the front of the engine and just behind the crossbrace. The rubber line in my truck that should be taken off had a white dot on the metal tube it clamps on to.

The jumper points are very clear after looking at the picture in the post and the transmission over temp light operates exactly as described.

The truck should be on reasonably flat ground but there is some lee-way there too. and you should mildly overfill the trans so that when the temp is right and you open the overflow bolt, fluid will run out until the proper level is achieved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I want to change my transmission oil to a new one, but the problem I have is that I don't know the type of transmission oil inside the car, please advise can I replace it with new ATF oil

·
Registered
3 Posts
I want to change my transmission oil to a new one, but the problem I have is that I don't know the type of transmission oil inside the car, please advise can I replace it with new ATF oil
NB: my car is toyota rav4 2001 model, the old seller could not remember the type of transmission oil inside the car so I need advice on which transmission oil can I get for my car,

·
Registered
15 Posts

Until next time
I used VALVOLINE MAXLIFE FULL SYNTHETIC WS. It only cost me $18 for a 4 quart container at Walmart; $28 at Auto Zone. Yes it's compatible with Toyota ATF! Toyota ATF was $12 per quart; they just want to scare you with the old "USE TOYOTA ATF ONLY" threat. I'm too cheap to scare..
BEWARE of filling your transmission fluid without first researching the procedure by following an up to date manual for your trans. 2nd gen tacomas do not have a dipstick; whoever engineered that must have been smoking those left handed cigarettes. Also the transmission fluid must be up to specific temperature during the fill process. I bought a temp sensor at Harbor Freight for $22 that saved the fill process.
If the fluid is low or too high it can cause adverse operating; like riding over an old wash board at lower speeds unless you're excellerating, no kidding. You can do it, just take your time, be prepared with the required ATF filler as you have to fill the trans at the top, rear of the transmission. Also if you see any sign of a trans fluid splash above the drive shaft entrance to the trans replace your seal; it's easy & only costs about $25 for the seal. Please check YouTube for some good videos of how to; super valuable guides!!
Good Luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Asanga,
Go to your Auto Zone or any good Auto supply house & tell them the year & model vehicle you have, auto trans or standard trans & they should be able to help you. While you're there pick up a shop manual for your vehicle. Haynes manuals are very good & only cost around $25. You don't have to buy the most expensive ATF, just choose a brand name like Valvoline & I would suggest Full Synthetic It'll probably give you a bit better service.
Good Luck

·
Registered
14 Tacoma
206 Posts
NB: my car is toyota rav4 2001 model, the old seller could not remember the type of transmission oil inside the car so I need advice on which transmission oil can I get for my car,
Why would you post RAV4 questions on a Tacoma forum?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts