Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the number markings on used parts unique and/or traceable?

My front drive shaft has suddenly showed up with a "pink" number on it. Pink numbers is the universal sign that it is a used part. Not sure which dealership is lying to me, the one that replaced the clutch or the one that replaced the frame. I was hoping to trace back to the used part supplier, somehow.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you have a picture of the writing? They may have wrote on it or marked locations along it and at each end so it is properly reinstalled. Drive shafts are balanced and if ujoints are replaced and the shaft ends up reinstalled 90° or 180° off of the original balance point it wont be phased correctly causing other problems. Unless you went to a shady shop, which it doesn't sound like you did, I doubt the dealer swapped in a junkyard part for no reason, and if they did, should have notified you in advance about needing replacement and its source.

I'm betting it was the dealership that replaced your frame and the number is associated with the claim number issued by Toyota for frame replacement. If they have techs performing multiple replacements at the same time they can easily identify which parts belong to or came from which vehicle to avoid confusion with multiple parts that could fit any of the trucks currently having frames replaced. Look on your paperwork they gave you when you picked the truck up. See if that number is listed anywhere on that work order.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts