Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Klaatu barada nikto
'06 XR4WD Cosmic Blu
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing that is a bit annoying about the Matrix is the jacking points. The supplied scissor jack has that little "U" shaped slot that fits around the the "rail" that runs down the underside.

OK, if you were to just sit the car down on regular jack stands it would just crush that rail right over. So, I searched around and found a couple of companies (Summit and York) that make these pads that sit on the top of the jack stands. They aren't cheap ($13-15/pair) and you need two pair to get the whole car up. My plan is to take these pads - when they arrive - and cut a slot with a hacksaw and use this as a buffer between the car and the jack stands.

After I ordered these pads I read where someone suggested using hockey pucks (obviously some clever Canadian, eh). After a short laugh I decided that this acutally makes pretty good sense. I'm guessing you can cut one up with a hacksaw.

So, maybe this will help someone else with the same problem. Other solutions???

Enjoy ;-)
-- Bill

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well you can use the scissors jack at the suggested jacking points and place jack stands on the axle. You can also use a floor jack at the single front and back specified jacking points to raise the whole front or rear end at once. I don't see any need to buy those ridiculously priced thingamajigs.

·
Klaatu barada nikto
'06 XR4WD Cosmic Blu
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TRXR4KDS said:
Well you can use the scissors jack at the suggested jacking points and place jack stands on the axle. You can also use a floor jack at the single front and back specified jacking points to raise the whole front or rear end at once. I don't see any need to buy those ridiculously priced thingamajigs.
So, you've put the car on jack stands using the axles as support points? I have a floor jack, so I want to jack up the front, install the front jack stands, jack up the back and install the back stands. I want to do this quickly, safely, and not damage the car.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The support points are in your owners manual.

Both are located at the mid point of the car. The lift point for the front is just below the engine on the frame. The one is the back is just behind the tie rod and is shape like a flat upside down pyramid.

Place your floor jack at one of these point. Then use support stands at scissor stand locations, which you have described.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Harbor Freight Tools sells jackstands with the groove already cast in the pad surface. They are really cheap and I have been using their products for years. If there isn't a store near you, they have a great website and you can order direct from them. Depending on the amountof your order, sometines the shipping is free.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts