Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just dropped off my truck and got a loaner.
Coincedentally,I had the spring TSB done yesterday and when I picked up the truck,I had a slight problem starting it.
Took longer than usual to start.When it started I figured while I'm here at the dealer,let me start it again and see what happens.
When I shut down I hurt this metalic type sound just at the end when the engine goes off.Two metalic sounds..Started it again and had the same sound.Two metalic sounds every time.
Went back inside and told the service rep.He came out and heard the sound and said the guy that installed the SC and knows more than him about them went home and to come back Monday if it continues.
Well,I didn't want to wait till Monday.Same sounds today.I just dropped it off.I'm guess but it sounds like a bearing issue.
The dealer will call TRD,then probably take the unit apart and send pics to TRD.In any case it's under warranty so I'll have a loaner till it's repaired or better yet,I want it replaced.
I have a feeling the tech that did the springs had some fun with the springs test drive.Even if that's the case,the unit still shouldn't have the issue.
The truck ran fine along with the supercharger.Just a noise when the engine is turned off.
Anybody want to guess what the problem is and we'll see who wins.

·
Registered
04 4runner
291 Posts
Well I hope that its fixed or replaced under warranty without an issue. It sounds like it could just be a bearing in a pulley. Do you know if that dced the supercharger and then tried to start it or are you for certain its the supercharger. But you have a valid situation since it didnt happen when you brought it in. Hope all goes well and keep us updated. Good luck

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well I hope that its fixed or replaced under warranty without an issue. It sounds like it could just be a bearing in a pulley. Do you know if that dced the supercharger and then tried to start it or are you for certain its the supercharger. But you have a valid situation since it didnt happen when you brought it in. Hope all goes well and keep us updated. Good luck
I just called TRD and told them what happened and asked if there was any issue with the '09 model being it's new.I think the watercooling is different on the '09 model but I may be wrong.
They gave a me a tech girl and she said there hasn't been an issue with the 09.They wouldn't say there was anyway but I figured I'd take a shot.
It's the Supercharger according to the service rep and the service manager.The SC runs fine.Just that noise when the engine shuts off.
TRD says they send a field person out to check the situation.She just got my name and address and didn't ask about any dealer info.I guess they'll wait for the dealer to call.
I asked in a case like this can she guesstimate how long this will all take.She really didn't know but said probably a week.
I have a loaner so I'm sure the dealer will want this done pretty quickly.

·
<< workaholic
toyotas damnit
85 Posts
at about 35k miles the S/C bearings start to wear and the lobes can hit each other. i've already had my S/C replaced under warranty, it puked metal pieces into my engine and locked up my engine.

you can take your hand and twist the pulley on the nose of the S/C back and forth and feel the slack in the lobes, you can see inside the S/C with the intercooler taken off and see how close the lobes are from touching, and while you twist the pulley back and forth you can see the lobes almost clunking back and forth. they said bearings wear out and the lobes will hit each other. doubt yours would do it being an 09??? i've got almost 35k miles on mine before it acted up. but i had noticed that when i cut the truck off you could hear the lobesrattling to a stop when you cut the truck off. now i have a new engine and a new S/C and have no problems again. i guess when i get 30k miles on this one i'll tear it down and replace the bearings just to be safe.

·
2012/14 Stanley Cup Champ
1,883 Posts
That's some fine quality products there. I'll stick to my non-SC truck

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
at about 35k miles the S/C bearings start to wear and the lobes can hit each other. i've already had my S/C replaced under warranty, it puked metal pieces into my engine and locked up my engine.

you can take your hand and twist the pulley on the nose of the S/C back and forth and feel the slack in the lobes, you can see inside the S/C with the intercooler taken off and see how close the lobes are from touching, and while you twist the pulley back and forth you can see the lobes almost clunking back and forth. they said bearings wear out and the lobes will hit each other. doubt yours would do it being an 09??? i've got almost 35k miles on mine before it acted up. but i had noticed that when i cut the truck off you could hear the lobesrattling to a stop when you cut the truck off. now i have a new engine and a new S/C and have no problems again. i guess when i get 30k miles on this one i'll tear it down and replace the bearings just to be safe.
After reading your post,I'm glad I brought the truck in only after doing about 20 miles with the shut off noise.
Odd the way things happen.
A friend a has a SC on his '99 PreRunner 3.4L and it had over 100K miles without any problems.
All he has done was change the oil and belt once.I believe the new owner changed the nose gear and it's still running.
I can't try twisting the pulley because the truck is at the dealer.
I have about 1000 miles on this unit.3K on the truck.
Like your situation,I only have a second of noise only when I cut off the engine.The sound is a clink,clink.Everything is fine while driving,though.
A very knowledgeable guy in Toyota world forum says he believes it's the rear bearings.He's heard that there's rear bearing issues with the new '09 model SC.
There was a delay in the release of this '09 model SC.Maybe there was a problem like this or something else.
I'm going to print your post and bring it to the dealer.He can show the TRD field rep.This way they know I know it's a serious problem.

·
<< workaholic
toyotas damnit
85 Posts
very smart joe. i think i am the first person with that many miles on one of these set-ups. they released the S/C in october 2007, i had mine in december of 2007 and installed on my truck right after i got it. i dont think anybody has gotten 35k miles on one yet but me. and i think i am the first to have problems. you wont be able to feel the slack in the nose cone and pulley untill you take the belt off, just take a wrench and loosen up the tensioner and slip the belt off the S/C. grab the pulley in your hand and twist back and forth (rolling the pulley from left to right) real quick and thats when you can feel the lobes. the new S/C toyota sent me has no slack or free play, the old one that broke down you can feel ALOT of slack and with the intercooler off you can look up inside the S/C and see the lobes kind of clunking back and forth.

apparently the bearings in the S/C can go out and the lobes will hit each other. i believe that onces the lobes to hit, they break off little pieces and those pieces get pushed right down on top of your engine.

here is my old blown up engine --->

and here is a pic of the disassembled head off the engine. the combustion chambers should be 100% dark, but notice the shiny spots? those shiny spots are divits in the head where the S/C lobes pushed metal into the engine and the pistons pushed those pieces of metal up into the head. each shiny spot is from a piece of metal hitting the head.

·
Registered
764 Posts
WOW... this is not good. I will be holding off on my SC purchase now.

EDIT: Is there any action being taken on this problem? Or are they just saying it's normal wear and tear?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
very smart joe. i think i am the first person with that many miles on one of these set-ups. they released the S/C in october 2007, i had mine in december of 2007 and installed on my truck right after i got it. i dont think anybody has gotten 35k miles on one yet but me. and i think i am the first to have problems. you wont be able to feel the slack in the nose cone and pulley untill you take the belt off, just take a wrench and loosen up the tensioner and slip the belt off the S/C. grab the pulley in your hand and twist back and forth (rolling the pulley from left to right) real quick and thats when you can feel the lobes. the new S/C toyota sent me has no slack or free play, the old one that broke down you can feel ALOT of slack and with the intercooler off you can look up inside the S/C and see the lobes kind of clunking back and forth.

apparently the bearings in the S/C can go out and the lobes will hit each other. i believe that onces the lobes to hit, they break off little pieces and those pieces get pushed right down on top of your engine.

here is my old blown up engine --->

and here is a pic of the disassembled head off the engine. the combustion chambers should be 100% dark, but notice the shiny spots? those shiny spots are divits in the head where the S/C lobes pushed metal into the engine and the pistons pushed those pieces of metal up into the head. each shiny spot is from a piece of metal hitting the head.
Wow!
I haven't read of any SC issues.Seems the unit on the 3.4L worked well.
I wouldn't mind getting a new engine and SC at 35K miles like you did,though.
I only put 6-7K miles a year and never keep a vehicle longer than 5 years so I'll be in the 5/60 drivetrain warranty that covers the SC..
If I decide I'm keeping the truck in 3 years,I would buy an extended warranty from Troy Dietrich that would cover the SC for another $175.The cost would be $875 for a 7/75 Toyota
Platimum warranty.

·
<< workaholic
toyotas damnit
85 Posts
i've already got the 100k mile warranty and i'm covered till then. i drive about 30-40k miles a year. so i needed it.

toyota warrantied everything and i got a new engine and S/C. who knows what happened. i tend to think there was something else wrong, but the mechanics just said it was the S/C. they sent it off to toyota research and design to be tested. if i hear that it is becuase the bearings went out, i'll just keep an eye out on it.

the toyota dealership had just changed my oil that morning my engine blew up, and did not put the oil back in the engine, i was 6 miles from the dealership when my engine locked up. i think it was because of the oil, the toyota mechanics said it was because of the S/C. after everything was apart, you could feel slack in the S/C and i believe the S/C may have come apart. the black perfectly machined pieces that are in the corner of the S/C covered in oil is from the lobes of the S/C i believe and all the pieces in the top end are from the S/C too. i dont know. everything was a cluster-fukk that day. i dont know whether it was from the oil change or the S/C but the mechanics said it was from the S/C.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
i've already got the 100k mile warranty and i'm covered till then. i drive about 30-40k miles a year. so i needed it.

toyota warrantied everything and i got a new engine and S/C. who knows what happened. i tend to think there was something else wrong, but the mechanics just said it was the S/C. they sent it off to toyota research and design to be tested. if i hear that it is becuase the bearings went out, i'll just keep an eye out on it.

the toyota dealership had just changed my oil that morning my engine blew up, and did not put the oil back in the engine, i was 6 miles from the dealership when my engine locked up. i think it was because of the oil, the toyota mechanics said it was because of the S/C. after everything was apart, you could feel slack in the S/C and i believe the S/C may have come apart. the black perfectly machined pieces that are in the corner of the S/C covered in oil is from the lobes of the S/C i believe and all the pieces in the top end are from the S/C too. i dont know. everything was a cluster-fukk that day. i dont know whether it was from the oil change or the S/C but the mechanics said it was from the S/C.
I would think and bet no oil in an engine would the engine to lock up and not the SC.
Maybe the engine lock up screwed up the SC.
I think the dealer would blame the SC to cover up their mistake.Either way,you're covered.
Again,I haven't heard or read of any issues with the SC and I search the net over and over before spending that $4500,Only heard and read positive things other than the cost.
You would think if there was issues with the '05-'08 model SC,they would have fixed the problems on the '09 SC or stop selling them if they're giving TRD and Toyota so many problems.It's a costly fix for both Toyota and TRD.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Ahh ok so there's more to the story. That's a little bit of a relief.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
<< workaholic
toyotas damnit
85 Posts
well i believe you are right, the mechanics blamed it on the S/C so toyota would warranty it rather than the dealership taking the blame and having to fork out a new engine and S/C for me.

BUT, there was slack in the S/C lobes and you could feel them by turning the pulley. now whether this was from the S/C grenading or the lack of oil i dont know. i personally think it was the oil change. and we would have never known that the S/C had slack in the bearings untill after it was taken apart.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Well since you can hear the SC issue on shutdown it's most likely enough to prevent damage to your engine.

The fact that the SC bearings are wearing out so quickly tells me it's not being lubricated properly. Maybe a design change coming for the future?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well since you can hear the SC issue on shutdown it's most likely enough to prevent damage to your engine.

The fact that the SC bearings are wearing out so quickly tells me it's not being lubricated properly. Maybe a design change coming for the future?
I have an '09 and it is a different unit than the '05-'08.

·
<< workaholic
toyotas damnit
85 Posts
the bearings are self contained. the S/C has its own oil supply. it does not recieve oil from the engine

the S/C for te 09' model trucks is the same as for the 05-08 trucks. the only thing different is the re-flash. toyota is trying to cut back on trucks fuel consumption starting in 09' so the new 09' trucks had to have a different re-flash to compensate for the new fuel and emissions laws coming out. the entire S/C is the same. only difference is what tune they load into your computer.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the bearings are self contained. the S/C has its own oil supply. it does not recieve oil from the engine

the S/C for te 09' model trucks is the same as for the 05-08 trucks. the only thing different is the re-flash. toyota is trying to cut back on trucks fuel consumption starting in 09' so the new 09' trucks had to have a different re-flash to compensate for the new fuel and emissions laws coming out. the entire S/C is the same. only difference is what tune they load into your computer.
I thought it was a bit different unit because it took TRD over 5 months to release the unit. Seems now it was the development the ECU reflash mapping for the '09.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts