Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello every one, ive got a question. would be great if i could get some help. i love the older yotas.the older the better. well ive been looking at an 89 sr5 4runner to replace my 85. my problem is that ive only had the 22r's. so what i was wondering is the v6 noted to be a good engine. do they run as good and long as the 22r's. my 85 had 387,000 + and still ran great. sadly frame didnt last. this one has 157,000 on it. thank you for your time.

·
Registered
84 SR5 pickup
553 Posts
the 3.0 v6 was toyota worst motor. very noted for blowing head gaskets and a few other problems. it has no where near the reliability of the 22r series. of course you have some people that will say they have never had a problem but overall they arent nearly as reliable.

·
5th Toyota
1988 SR5 4x4
4 Posts
V6 versus 4s

After having 4 four cyl Toyota pickups I thought I just had to have a six for the extra oomph on the highway and some more torque on climbing steep hills in 4x4. What I got was an 88 sr5 4x4 with the v6 with 156000 miles. The engine was supposed to be a 92 transplant with only 20k on it, my mechanic says it has more like 200k. Powerwise it barely does better on the highway and averages 16-17 mpg, in 4x4 it does have more guts. My 4 cyls always got 20 mpg! Haven't had any of the other engine problems people report on the v6's though. Knock on wood!
The only thing I like better about this truck is that it has a/c, the extended cab and the sr5 deluxe interior. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not THAT bad!

C'mon now, I'd say the worst motors would be in recent years,'00 +/- when they had massive issues in multiple models with sludge buildup, really gone downhill. I've had an '88 3vze 3.0 for several years, 165,000 miles on it and this thing was run HARD, not just by me either. Head gasket is a rumored weak point so I run with the Bars leaks in and never had an issue, just replaced the original timing belt and valve cover gaskets as they leaked but overall pretty solid and good power.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts