Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 xtended cab 4X4. I need help in identifying an item on the engine that I am not familiar with, it is on the driver side of the engine, and below the head, it is a round item that is behind the oil filter, it has a coolant hose going to it. I have an oil leak and it appears to be coming from that area, I am not sure if there is oil in that or if the oil is being flung up there by the flywheel.

THanks
Robert

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hmmmmmmm! Only thing I can see that fits your description is the Oil pressure guage which is next to the Oil filter towards the grille. I'd give the engine a clean (steam or degreaser) be careful around the electrics. This will give you a clearer idea where the oil is coming from.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Valve cover gaskets are normally the culprit: $3.00, comes in a pair. Luckily the drivers side is the easy one: ------------------ Make sure the area around is clear of debris, don't want anything falling in while you fanangle the Valve cover off.------------- Just remove the air intake hose: remove the 10mm bolts, I like to replace bolts in the exact hole they came out of, so I use a piece of styro to store them in order. The electric harness will move out of the enough to get a socket in. Give the valve cover a good spray with brake cleaner and wipe clean. Replace gasket, put cover on, snug bolts down using star pattern.
Let everbody know what you find.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just to be sure: " it has a coolant hose going to it". Your not talking about your Thermostat hosing??????? ////////////
Describe its location in refernece to grille , firewall, block, fender.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It is located closer to the firewall than the oil filter, it is not the oil pressure sending unit, it could be a oil cooler, did this engine come with an oil cooler? It has a manual tranny.
Thanks for the help.

Robert

·
Registered
104 Posts
An oil cooler on a manual? Can anybody confirm this?
That's a great addition to the truck, keep that puppy nice and cool under heavy use. I use mine for plowing, and if anybody can give info on aftermarket addition I'd be grateful. I wonder if your truck came with some kind of tow package, or did Toyota start slapping them on to help with Head gasket issues.
Any progress on finding your oil leak?

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
yes

That Would be the Oil Cooler. Even on the Manual Trans equipped truck. It bolts to the block, rearward of the oil filter mount, has an o-ring between the cooler and block, and has an inlet and oulet for coolant lines.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That would be the puppy. THanks. Is it common for them to leak?? And how hard is it to reseal it??

Robert

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
might

be hard to get to, but you first remove the center bolt that holds it to the block (assuming you are not gonna want ot drain and refill the cooling system, leave the cooler lines on if possible). Remove old o-ring (it is pretty big), install new o-ring and bolt back on. I did mine when the motor was out, during an engine swap, but the principle is the same. I think there is also small bolt the affixes the "stay" bracket to the block as well, to keep it from spinnig around on you.

Riv.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts