Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 camry, with a 63 and a factory new transmission from Toyota.

Under cold acceleration, the car hesatates, no CEL

I have replaced the plugs and wires.

Coolant temp sensors replaced.

This is driving me nuts guys, why is it slow?:headbang:

As the car warms up, it is able accelerate better, but no where near what a v6 should be able to do.

I also have a 92 4-cylinder camry with an automatic, and that sucker is considerably faster off the line then my v6, whats going on guys?

·
all my heros are evil
camry
805 Posts
Not sure if this is your issue or not, but had similiar issue with mine.
We adjust the MAF slightly one night and made a world of difference.

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
Its a common issue for the early v6s, it has to do with the air fuel ratio. As davemac said check the intake for leaks and let us know if you want to try adjusting the afm. Its tricky but will get the job done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Please guys, let me know what you come up with. I am having the same issues with my fiancee's car. Anything under 2k rpm, the car is a pig, idles horribly. Once it hits 2,500 rpm all the way to redline, it wakes up (acceleration is good).

I took it to the mechanic, he didn't solve much. He replaced the ECU, nothing improved. He just wanted that car out of his shop. He didn't want to spend time diagnosing it.

I am actually changing the spark plugs, air filter, adding fuel additive, and checking for vac. leaks, (oil change and coolant flush too) . I should be done in a few hours. I will post what I come up with. It's been a pain in the ass.

We got this car months ago from some crappy used no name dealership in Hollywood,FL and it never ran well. (straight up thieves).
There were no warranties, it was sold as is, so we were stuck with this lemon of a Camry. I'm just trying to fix everything wrong with it. :headbang:

If I could have it my way, I'd kick the salesman who pulled this fast one on my fiancee in the nuts :nutkick:. (Good thing it's not our only car, but it's a PITA).

·
Ninja wrench anywhere
1,524 Posts
Please guys, let me know what you come up with. I am having the same issues with my fiancee's car. Anything under 2k rpm, the car is a pig, idles horribly. Once it hits 2,500 rpm all the way to redline, it wakes up (acceleration is good).

I took it to the mechanic, he didn't solve much. He replaced the ECU, nothing improved. He just wanted that car out of his shop. He didn't want to spend time diagnosing it.

I am actually changing the spark plugs, air filter, adding fuel additive, and checking for vac. leaks, (oil change and coolant flush too) . I should be done in a few hours. I will post what I come up with. It's been a pain in the ass.

We got this car months ago from some crappy used no name dealership in Hollywood,FL and it never ran well. (straight up thieves).
There were no warranties, it was sold as is, so we were stuck with this lemon of a Camry. I'm just trying to fix everything wrong with it. :headbang:

If I could have it my way, I'd kick the salesman who pulled this fast one on my wife in the nuts :nutkick:. (Good thing it's not our only car, but it's a PITA).
Has the EGR system been inspected? Sounds an awful lot like the EGR flow is too high at low rpms (it's not necessarily the EGR itself, 'tho -- there are a couple of vacuum valves involved, too). You'd think on a newer (OBDII) rig, this would result in some sort of code being thrown, 'tho. What's your rig (year and motor)?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has the EGR system been inspected? Sounds an awful lot like the EGR flow is too high at low rpms (it's not necessarily the EGR itself, 'tho -- there are a couple of vacuum valves involved, too). You'd think on a newer (OBDII) rig, this would result in some sort of code being thrown, 'tho. What's your rig (year and motor)?

Good observation. When I started with my tune up yesterday, I noticed a lot of vacuum hoses not attached :headbang:. I need to find a vacuum diagram. I dont have the BGB, can anyone help? By the way, it's a 1998 Camry V6 LE.

·
Ninja wrench anywhere
1,524 Posts
Good observation. When I started with my tune up yesterday, I noticed a lot of vacuum hoses not attached :headbang:. I need to find a vacuum diagram. I dont have the BGB, can anyone help? By the way, it's a 1998 Camry V6 LE.
The vacuum diagram is usually on the underside of the hood of the car. Failing that, the Emissions section of the FSM ( http://www.camrystuff.com/manuals/Gen4/Emission_Control.pdf ) has it scattered in bits and pieces.

Hard to imagine that a bunch of vacuum hoses are disconnected and this thing isn't throwing any codes. When you turn key to the last position before starting, does the "check engine" light (usually on the left side of the meter area -- looks like a light with an engine on it) light up? Is this light lit after you've started the car?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The vacuum diagram is usually on the underside of the hood of the car. Failing that, the Emissions section of the FSM ( http://www.camrystuff.com/manuals/Gen4/Emission_Control.pdf ) has it scattered in bits and pieces.

Hard to imagine that a bunch of vacuum hoses are disconnected and this thing isn't throwing any codes. When you turn key to the last position before starting, does the "check engine" light (usually on the left side of the meter area -- looks like a light with an engine on it) light up? Is this light lit after you've started the car?

I'm sorry, I failed to mention that. This car has been throwing codes for a while. I had the mechanic check it on his scanner. We got: Cylinder bank 2, (I think it was 2) running lean, for one . We put a fuel psi gauge to see if it was the fuel delivery (checked fuel pump/lines; they were ok). He checked timing, the ignition coils. Not the problems.

He changed the ECU; still same problem (he told me he thought the Ecu was a culprit/Wrong again). I bought a set of injectors on Ebay (did not replace them though). I will get them cleaned and balanced later on.

While changing the spark plugs, I noticed that the ones on the rear cylinder bank were not screwed in properly (literally loose) :confused:. I am going at it, step by step. I am looking at the vacuum hoses as a culprit. The AFM area looks clean, I am still going to clean it before putting it all back together.

Once I am done, I am going to take it to get checked if I get a CEL, and take it from there.

·
Ninja wrench anywhere
1,524 Posts
I'm sorry, I failed to mention that. This car has been throwing codes for a while. I had the mechanic check it on his scanner. We got: Cylinder bank 2, (I think it was 2) running lean, for one . We put a fuel psi gauge to see if it was the fuel delivery (checked fuel pump/lines; they were ok). He checked timing, the ignition coils. Not the problems.

He changed the ECU; still same problem (he told me he thought the Ecu was a culprit/Wrong again). I bought a set of injectors on Ebay (did not replace them though). I will get them cleaned and balanced later on.

While changing the spark plugs, I noticed that the ones on the rear cylinder bank were not screwed in properly (literally loose) :confused:. I am going at it, step by step. I am looking at the vacuum hoses as a culprit. The AFM area looks clean, I am still going to clean it before putting it all back together.

Once I am done, I am going to take it to get checked if I get a CEL, and take it from there.
Wow -- you've got quite the onion to peel there! Keep us posted, and good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.