Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I have a 1993 Toyota Camry XLE V6 314k and running strong, the newest problem is I went to rebuild the two front struts and the passenger side strut bolts came out VERY tight, no it's not due to rust or corrosion. There is pressure pushing on the hub, I can just barely get the top large bolt that bolts the knuckle to the strut in. I finally got it all back together, and now there is a rotational vibration when turning left ( the harder the turn the worse it gets) and when the suspension loads or unloads ( dose not matter left right or straight) it seems that what was fighting me from getting the bolts in is the CV shaft completely bottoming out. I looked into the problem again on the lift and it seems exactly that the cv is what's fighting me and my guess is the vibration I get is the cv vibrating when it's completely bottomed out(completely compressed). What would cause things to be that tight on the passenger side? It's like the motor is too far to the right

·
Registered
5 toyotas,
530 Posts
is it a replacement CV axle ?
maybe loosen entire subframe and see if can be leveraged in the direction you want ?
worn motor mounts or ??? something that has excess movement/play............
lower control arm on tight side bent ? or has issues ?
I suspect the problem may have been there but was masked by looseness / play of worn strut....possibly.
now that the struts are right this, are you 100% sure strut is installed exactly right ?
what about the alignment?
It was done, yes?
that might reveal something if not done, pretty much mandatory even though technically you did'nt change the toe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cv axle was the one that has been in the car, the sub frame has never been moved in all the years I've owned it. The a arm is newer it was replaced a few years back because it had a bad bushing(rear round bushing). Ball joints are brand new just replaced them, the strut was rebuilt and installed correctly, per manufacturer instructions. The car was aligned after all work was done and the alignment caster and camber were within spec before and after alignment, all they did was change toe. Motor mounts I think may be original but I've never experienced a problem or any reason that they would be bad.

·
イリジウム
14,760 Posts
If the subframe seem ok but the engine looks too far to the passenger side, then check the mounts. You may be able to tell if the mounts are off center/leaning. Also see if the inner CV boots are squished on the passenger side and stretched on the driver side. See if you can find another Gen 3 V6 for comparison.

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,186 Posts
I would want to check the transmission mount. If the transmission mount looks seriously warped/bent towards the passenger side, thats not good. I know for the 1MZ, it's located on the driver side wheel well on the subframe where the transmission mounts.

The only thing I can think that would cause the engine to shift is a totally torn up rear mount, bad tranmission and a weak front mount. The dog bone mount doesn't do much with engine alignment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.