Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
限界域への独&#
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If any of you V6 guys are looking for an upgrade to your stock 80-amp alternator, the Highlander has a 130-amp alternator option with the towing package. I installed one in my 1994 V6 Camry today and it was a direct bolt-in. My dimming light issues have been solved. Best of all, it was only $60 shipped with a 6-month warranty. Just go to www.car-part.com and search for a 2003 Highlander alternator, then select the V6 130 amp option. For you 5S-FE guys, the I4 Highlander alternator may work, but I'm not entirely sure.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Nice, I wonder if the sienna's alt. is any stronger than 130 amps.

·
Its freakin hot here...
2002 Ford ZX-2
466 Posts
good find! and this si for the 2VZ-FE???

·
限界域への独&#
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The Sienna uses the same as the Camry, or maybe a 90 amp. I checked those when I was searching and it wasn't a worthwhile upgrade if it was an upgrade at all.

Mine is a 1MZ, but the VZ series may use the same alternator.

·
Old fogey
1,429 Posts
Performance? Not likely. You're putting in a higher output alternator. Since the alternator is driven by the belt, in order to put more power to the alternator, you're pretty much sucking that power from somewhere else... and that somewhere else is going to be your engine.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Xevuhtess77 said:
umm would there be any performance gains from doing this though?
Why would you expect performance gains from an alternator? It generates electrical power for your car. But if you drove an early Gen V6, you would know there is a dimming problem if you even so much as bring the windows down. It solves that.

Nice find:thumbup:

I'll have to check into it and see if the same one works for the 3vz :)

·
I get angry when Im sober
1,858 Posts
There's a 4 cylinder 130 amp option... is there even a 4 cyl Highlander and is it the 5sfe engine?

·
限界域への独&#
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 4 Cylinder uses the 2AZ-FE engine. I don't know about alternator compatibility with the 5S-FE, but I would say it's a possibility.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
gold...:thumbup:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Any one find out yet if this will work with the 3VZ-FE?

·
Sleeper-still sleeping
474 Posts
^ yah....anyone find out compatibility for the 3vz-fe? I hate the dimming lights issue....what a pain. :disappoin

·
Its freakin hot here...
2002 Ford ZX-2
466 Posts
i have seen one, and it looks like it will work on the 2vz

1 - 20 of 45 Posts