Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 4Runner V6.
My head gasket just died and I have found a lot of material on the Web stating that there is a recall and Toyota dealers will fix the defect.
I have phoned both my local dealer and the national dealer in Canada.
They both just look up the VIN and informed me that my vehicle is not eligible for the recall.
This contradicts all the material I have read.
Is my understanding incorrect?
Please help.
PS I have 5 Toyotas in my family and this is turning me into an anti-Toyota customer.

·
NY born, Texas raised
705 Posts
Prince said:
I have a 1990 4Runner V6.

PS I have 5 Toyotas in my family and this is turning me into an anti-Toyota customer.
I don't know what years were covered under the recall but a 17 year old truck needed a head gasket is not uncommon. I had to do my '86 about 2 years ago.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
I'm not sure if there would be any differences in canada, but if the recal had already been performed here in the US, that would render it ineligible for further repairs under the recall. Basically it is a pass for a one time fix with the "updated" parts.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
i had a 95 and they did the recall for me but i think your truck is too old, but if u show that you have more toyotas u can get it done , just gotta know how to push it to them

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think the 3.0L head gasket recall/warranty was over in 2005. I know at one point Toyota extended it to 10 years, 100,000 miles wichever comes first.

·
Registered
2021 Tacoma TRD Pro
528 Posts
You can surely attempt to get some sort of help from Toyota on your headgasket(s), and I wish you the best of luck. However, as some of the other posters have pointed out, this recall started in 1995 or 1996, and I seriously doubt that Toyota would still be honoring the recall after more than 10 years. No harm in trying though.

·
Registered
202 Posts
There is a recall on the 3.0 liter engine's headgasket for the 1990 model. My brother had a 1990 4X4 SR5 Truck with the same engine and they replaced his at no charge at 171,000 miles. He took it to the dealer when the headgasket went and the service manager said that it's a known problem on the V6 engines and they replaced it for free. That was in 2002 but call other dealers and hear what they have to say. As mentioned earlier, a headgasket failure isn't uncommon on a 17 year old vehicle. If they won't replace it for free, buy a used Japanese engine. It'll be cheaper and you'll have less miles on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts