Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Toyota MR2
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious about a v6 swap that is becomming ever more popular. I sort of jolted my mind when i was trying to find an option to have around 400hp someday daily driven in an mr2. That goal is much more likely in a 6 cylinder motor than a 4 cyl. The 4 cylinder wouldn;t feel very comfortable driving around daily with 400hp, the 6 would be preferable. My question is, what motor is best to atain this, and still have large power potential? I hear alot about the 3VZFE and 3MZFE, and a few others. What might be best, or maybe someone can list the V6's and their strengths (any toyota V6 that is trans-mounted for MR2 compatability) I tried google, one of the few searches that has failed me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Check out mr2oc.com to start. There is alot of v6 swap info available there. Your 400 whp goal with a boosted v6 is obtainable from the research I've done - either with a 5vz-fe or 3vz-fe and a good turbo set-up.

Personally, I beginning to collect parts for modest a 3vz-fe swap.

·
Registered
Toyota MR2
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Generally speaking.....idle might be rougher, powerband higher in the rpm's where you rarely (well, sometimes rarely) drive in, things like that. I am not saying it is not dable and even as such that it is not comfortable, I just want to keep things fairly simple and stock sounding/feeling, etc. I believe a V6 would be better for this than a 4 cylinder, and definitely cheaper to reach 400hp than a 4 cyl 3sgte, atleast from my research. Mind you fabbing and labor would be free, done by me and some help.

·
I love Cin
91 Turbo MR2
2,312 Posts
To each their own and as long as you are happy that is all that matters.

I just don't want a properluy set up 400+ 4-cylinder to get a bad wrap.
My idle is fine at 1100. My big power happens from 4000 rpms and up, which I feel is better for the street. As you indicated, you are rarely revving that high ... and I would counter how often would you want/need 400 on the street? :)

May I ask why you picked "400"?

·
Registered
Toyota MR2
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seriously, so on that rare occasion one of my buddies decides to challenge me toa track race in his 350 hp mustang, I can take my dinky MR2 with a V6 and atleast have a run. I was all for a 3sgte, I LOVE the motor and what it can do, I am just figuring it would be cheaper, smoother, and kinda cool to have a V6 MR2. If there is one I am aiming at with my MR2, it is originality and drivability. I love high powered cars but I also want a "nice" ride. So I am thinking about sacrificing the all mighty 3sgte for a 3.0 3VZFE to get that power and comfortability of daily driving. If hyde suggests a properly done 3sgte is fine for this, that may be enough for me, but I wanna do some research on it still.

·
I love Cin
91 Turbo MR2
2,312 Posts
Don't get me wrong, a V6 is a wonderful idea and has a lot of great qualities.
In fact, if I had to start over I ight consider a SC V6 over the Turbo4.

I'm not dissing the V6. I'm not saying the T-4 is better.
I was just disagreeing with how you represented a high-powered T-4.

There is a 700+ rwhp T-4 MR2 out there that is truly daily driven ;)

·
jdm 2nd gen ftw!
mr2 turbo
265 Posts
eh i dont see why you would get a v-6 that is like people putting a small block in a old rx-7 the cars wight will be at least a lil off and you may see a diffrence on driving it. the handling is bad in wet weather as it is put even more wight in the back...yaaa i dont wanna see that and do you have a 3sgte now? i mean 400 hp is going to take alot of money either way you do it and a v6 may actually be more unless you know how to put one in

hmm a supra 2jz in a mr2 that would be awsome exept a inline would suck so much to put into a mr2 lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
Actually the weight issue is pretty minor. If you use an NA 1mz engine the weight is supposed to be a bit less than a stock turbo car. If you build an NA 3vz or 5vz the weight is a bit more - but nothing outragous - probably within 50 lbs of the stock turbo's weight. If you go for a boosted v6 then you'll add a bit more weight to either option, but if done smart, probably no more than a total of 50 to 100 lbs more than a stock turbo. Of course swapping a stock car to a larger intercooler, larger turbo, etc. would add weight as well.

In my case, the choice of v6 vs JDM turbo clip swap comes down to rying something different. I already have one high HP, 23 psi of boost (on pump gas) 4 cyl turbo car (and no, it doesn't like traffic ;)) and I'm looking to try something different.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You might want to reconsider a 400 Hp daily driver 4 cylinder mr2 is possibly one of the most streetable cars you will ever own. Other than traction problems the 3sgte powerplant is very well balanced and never had a problem making power or grocery getting. not to mention? how are you planning on getting 400 Hp out of that v6, is deffenelty not going to happen on motor.

·
Now with even more BOOST
279 Posts
check out the www.mr2board.com there is a nice section there with a pictorial wrightup I did ;) Look under the MKII section. You are correct about the high power V6. I own both a turbo six and several high power I4's. The 6 is more friendly to drive around town. It has less of a tendancy of bog or boost. The acceleration is smooth rather than abrupt. I would much rather be in a trafic jam with the 6 than the 4's. The only way I can explain it is that less clutch slip is required with the additional dissplacement.

·
Now with even more BOOST
279 Posts
tekkaboy80 said:
why stop at v6, would the lexus v8 not fit ???
Sort of, Requires a lot of cutting and custom parts though. IMO the chassis cant handle that much power. The 800 or so available from the 5VZ with pistons and rods is beyond the available traction of the car in almost any situation. :D

·
Genes-Dino
91 MR2 t tops
1 Posts
Sort of, Requires a lot of cutting and custom parts though. IMO the chassis cant handle that much power. The 800 or so available from the 5VZ with pistons and rods is beyond the available traction of the car in almost any situation. :D

Hi I have a 91 MR2 and want information what parts and misc.
to install a 94 Camry v6 motor my car has a 5sfe motor thats cutting out
at 4000 rpm any one have this problem what was wrong.

Genes-Dino

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.