Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
After the first 450-500K you can always replace the body panels with vinyl siding and some zipties! Just use Goop for the weather sealing around the glass and squirt some RainX and you should be good to go!

Interior can get ugly after 500K, BUT! there is a solution!
If the seat wires are bothering you, take that stack of YellowPages they will likely continue to print and litter the entire country of obsolete garbage... and stick it under your rear. No more wires poking up! By this time the speakers should sound the same, so it will blend well with the rest of the setup.

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
In case you did wonder which is best, incline or level...
The incline of front ramps give the oil a good flow to the drain hole.

·
2002 Ford Focus SE
5,928 Posts
Technically - you are supposed to check the oil level with the vehicle level.

So ideally, you would drive the truck up on the ramps, drain the oil, put the plug and filter back on (if not using Fumoto), roll the truck back off the ramps (don't start it), and then add oil to the fill mark.

In reality - if the book says it takes 6.4 quarts, I would probably drive it on the ramp, drain the oil, put the plugs back, throw in 7 quarts, back it down and call it good.

·
4,179 Posts
Technically - you are supposed to check the oil level with the vehicle level.

So ideally, you would drive the truck up on the ramps, drain the oil, put the plug and filter back on (if not using Fumoto), roll the truck back off the ramps (don't start it), and then add oil to the fill mark.

In reality - if the book says it takes 6.4 quarts, I would probably drive it on the ramp, drain the oil, put the plugs back, throw in 7 quarts, back it down and call it good.
How about doing the same as the above, adding 6 quarts, driving it off the ramp and then putting in another 1/2 quart and check, why would you put in 7?

·
2002 Ford Focus SE
5,928 Posts
I have a 2002 Ford Focus that I just realized the book says takes 4.5 quarts (but Ford made the oil filter smaller a few years ago and never changed the book). I didn't notice and put 5 quarts in it every 3K miles until 100K and every 5K miles afterward and it has 145K miles now and never any oil related problems.

Short answer is I'm too lazy to measure out 0.4 quarts and have a 0.5 quart of oil on the shelf for 10K miles until the next oil change is due.

Long answer is it won't hurt anything. If the engine starts using oil between changes, I will be at the recommended level for the next change without checking anything. And as a percentage - 7 quarts when the engine takes 6.4 is a less likely to be a problem for the engine than 4 quarts if it took 3.4.

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The ramps are good to DRAIN the oil, not fill it.
I do admit I actually did have it on the ramps when I filled it, but I filled to the spec as close as possible. I went with the measure on my funnel.

BTW, the dipstick has such a wide area indicating that you are A-OK, I'm not used to such a wide reading. Why is it so different from other car readings when their margin is less than an inch?

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,031 Posts
Pure speculation here, but...Shape of the pan most likely. Think about the height a half quart can raise the level if the space is 5" x 5" versus 10" x 10". It will rise twice as much in the smaller width space.

BTW, if you overfill and have a Fumoto installed, it's a flip of a lever to let the excess out. :wink:

·
Registered
Highlander 2014
74 Posts
Phil, thanks for the write-up. I have not changed oil in my HL so that was really helpful. You mentioned the whole filter holder came out when you tried to unscrew the drain plug of the filter holder. I am almost sure that's what is going to happen to me. How hard was it for you to remove the drain plug from the filter holder or did you just let it be. I'm kind of wanting to remove the drain plug, drain the oil then remove the filter holder. I am not familiar with this type of oil filter-holder set up. Seems like a lot of work.

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Phil, thanks for the write-up. I have not changed oil in my HL so that was really helpful. You mentioned the whole filter holder came out when you tried to unscrew the drain plug of the filter holder. I am almost sure that's what is going to happen to me. How hard was it for you to remove the drain plug from the filter holder or did you just let it be. I'm kind of wanting to remove the drain plug, drain the oil then remove the filter holder. I am not familiar with this type of oil filter-holder set up. Seems like a lot of work.

You're welcome! Its not a big deal. It just has 2 threads, and its not the oil pan drain plug. This design has a drain for the filter itself. If the outer breaks loose first, then you can take the holder out and remove the rear cap(if I remember it right). But they are not hard to loosen up., specially when its the first oil change and things aren't so crummy down there. What you want to do is right, and it will be less of a mess, so if you want hold down the filter and then loosen the inner cap. Just make sure you aren't directly under it, and place a pan or something below it. I would say its much easier than rotating tires!

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,232 Posts
Phil...I didnt reread all pgs. if already mentioned. Q..Do u recall if the oem oil pan drain plug had a gasket (washer) on it? I'll update later why I ask. T I A

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
He was ffffffn asking meeeeeeee Pat! How dare you take my question!??
Ffffff

Anyway,

Let me essplain BUFFO.....

That would be a .......wait for it.........

Yes, it has a crush washer. BUT!!
Not the type Pat mentioned, but a crush one, like I'm telling you about now. I hope Pat didn't steer you the wrong way with his crush washer, but I'm really glad I came in at 3am to put a stop to all this crushing business!!

Ok, now that the catastrofy is over...

Back to our normal programming.

No Pat. Nope. Don't thank me for it. I understand you were only trying to be helpful. Just cross check your crush washers next time before you send people off with advice. Or ......

just wait for me. We can have a Skype meeting and decide if it's the crush washer, or, if it is really the crush washer.
Good night for now

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,232 Posts
Phil...Q..Do u recall if the oem oil pan drain plug had a gasket (washer) on it? I'll update later why I ask. T I A
FWIW...Last fri. had 10K mi. svc. done with free o/f change. Yesterday saw couple oil drips on floor. Looking underneath...looked like leak from oil drain plug/bolt. I checked dip stick o. level, o. really clear/clean & kinda hard to see level, but appeared ok. Called my dealer SA.

7 a.m. this morning (wed) at dealer. Yep, oil pan plug was loose & was retightened. Said oil level didn't appear low, but added squirt of oil.
I asked & SA confirmed..not acceptable. Told tech. who did work gets a reprimand & ding on his record. Also rewashed my HL. I asked, SA said "crush washer" used on pan bolt. (no Im not going there lol!) So...

Not gonna debate/rant etc cause been there/done that looooong ago. Just...Sloppy work still continues today. Yes, I'm well aware of DIY. But, got one more free o. chg. Who does after remains to be seen?

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
That sucks BUFFO... I actually did a roll of the dice and took mine in for the second change (I'm doing them around 7,500miles), and they noted I had the Fumoto valve, which at least took one F-up possibility out of the equation :)

Thanks for adapting to my sarcasm :)
:p

21 - 40 of 77 Posts