Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to change the oil today for the first time on my new 04 Double Cab V6. I'm a pretty handy guy and I know my way around cars, and I was surprised when I found the oil filter location on this truck. Who was the drunk engineer who designed the engine on this truck?? Usually Japanese vehicles are designed well and they design them to be somewhat easy to work on. I can't seem to remove the filter from the top or the bottom. Then, once the filter is off, it looks like all of the oil that is in the filter will drool down the side of the engine. Neat.

I called the dealer and they told me I needed to remove the skid plate to get access to the filter. There has got to be an easier way. Maybe cutting part of the skid plate away. I hate going to those oil change places or the dealer to pay $30 (or more!) for an oil change, I prefer to do this work myself. If anyone has any filter-change tips for V6's, I'd appreciate it! For the time being, I only changed the oil.

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
There's no getting around removing the skid plate. A full oil change for me takes about 15 from start to finish. If you have a hard time loosening the filter, try turning your wheels to the left and access the filter through the driver's side wheel well.

Yeah, the location of the filter on a V6 sucks big time, but hey, you get used to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Or one of those Griot's extractors. Still need to drop the skid to change the oil filter though. It is only 4 bolts. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts