Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
02 Camry LE
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cooked my v6 in my 88 4runner manual, and i have a spare 86 22R, i am ready to put the 22r in my engine bay, i noticed the engine mounts for the V6 are farther forward than the 22r ON THE FRAME. so once the 22r is in it will be right touching my firewall if not... ill have to use a hammer :p lol jk ill make my own engine mounts to bring it forward. I also noticed that the transmissions are almost identical, i dont think they will bolt up-so i am going to swap the bellhousings and it should then work. Now electrical... even though its carbed i hate wiring..... One question: do i have to have all those emission control stuff hooked up and powered? because i dont want to do the wiring for it, will the 22r run without it? I need to know. Thanks

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
There's plenty more different that need changing in addition to the motor mounts. Do some research.
The transmissions are not almost identical, and a bellhousing swap isn't going to work. You'll need a 22R trans, and t-case if it's 4WD.
While the 22R doesn't have a a ton of emissions stuff, much of it really does improve drivability.

·
Registered
73 Posts
There's plenty more different that need changing in addition to the motor mounts. Do some research.
The transmissions are not almost identical, and a bellhousing swap isn't going to work. You'll need a 22R trans, and t-case if it's 4WD.
While the 22R doesn't have a a ton of emissions stuff, much of it really does improve drivability.

Agreed.

OP,

In addition you will need to swap the ECU and wire harness. Unless you are running a stand alone fuel management system.

You can safely pull the emissions junk, cap the Emissions vacuum lines and build or order EGR block of plates. At the end of the day study the emissions diagrams and find out exactly what you need and want to remove. The best time to do it is when the engine is outside the vehicle. I yanked all the emissions components out of my Turbo supra and the car ran better. Before you do it, just make sure that it is legal for you to do. Where I am, emissions are not a priority and we do not have emissions testing.

In addition to the transmission, you may need a new speedo cable. I am not sure if the speedo cables are different for the V6 and 22RE of your year or not. In my 95 4runner I had to order a new speedo cable. It was specifically for a production run of the 22RE for that year and a dealer only item. ARG! The only difference was the end that connected to the back of the speedometer. Asides from that, the cables were identical.

Why are you going the 22RE swap? Why not just throw in another V6? Or maybe something with a little more jam?

I am contemplating dropping in the Tundra engine, or a nice 2JZ into my 4runner when all the body work is done. Sure it is overkill, but I want to step up the game and enhance my fabrication skills. :D

·
Registered
02 Camry LE
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, i dont have any other engine but 22r's i have 3 working ones haha... I already did the swap to the 22R not RE, i eliminated the emissions (Im in Canada), the speedo cable was the same, i had to rewire the coil and ignitor and wire the electric choke on the carb to the charge wire on the alternator. I made custom motor mounts and i had to use the 22r transmission cross member which bolted onto the frame perfectly. Everything went well, and ive been driving this thing for a month now and its a beast and reliable. The only thing im having an issue with is timing(i think) When the engines hot, it continues to run and go backwards when the key is off. its either carbon build-up(which i doubt because i drive it hard) OR timing. I have it advanced at around 10. when i first got the engine it was rebuilt and i retarded it from 12+ to 7 or 8. I just get confused lol..

·
Registered
02 Camry LE
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The distributor is vacuum advanced, so to properly time it i would need to plug the vacuum hose and then time it, then hook it back up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts