Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Corolla
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any advantage to either the automatic tranny v.s. the manual for towing with a V6 tacoma?

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Tacoma
1,495 Posts
Depending on how much you tow - Auto is better simply for ease on the mechanics.

Towing with a manual is harder on the clutch - especially heavier loads.

As for the gear hunting in Auto's..... my Dodge Ram did that also, especially while using cruise control. Dodge even had a computer flash to correct it and it still 'hunted' for gears even after the computer flash.

·
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
1,969 Posts
If you're gonna be towing then go with the Auto, you wont have to worry about burning the clutch and you shouldn't have to worry about gear hunting anyways because you should always tow in 4, not D.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
188 Posts
<-- Tows all the time, wishes that I had kicked down the extra grand, and just got an auto. Plus, there was that damn squeek that you got from the stupid clutch pedal. Had the TSB performed and NOTHING.

Quick spritz of the ball hitch grease and poof - no need to take the truck back to the dealer as they suggested.

Long short, auto, and if it hunts, drop it one click below "D."

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
:disappoin

As a manual driver you might not know but you CAN manually downshift an automatic quite easily.
True, but I can leave mine in 5th and it won't down shift the instant it "thinks" it should due to RPMs. Meanwhile I'm towing just fine with enough power and speed.

As for the people talking about burning up the clutch: learn how to shift it properly. The clutch in my car last 150+k before needing to be replaced. And that's after teaching 3 people to drive stick, and an ex burning the clutch coming through DC on the way from NY to SC.

I have 44k on the truck now, towed at near max capacity with an auto transport 4 times now 100 miles each time, and my clutch is fine. Never had any problems.

·
Registered
211 Posts
So in reality, there's no one is better than the other. It really comes down to whether you want to fart around with a clutch or not. That's why I personally went with the automatic. Some people are lazy like me cause we've been ther and done that with manuals already and are probably tired of having to shift gears especially in and around town in traffic; then there are others who feel more manly because driving an automatic isn't "real" driving :rolleyes:....whatever floats your boat. To say a manual is better because of "x" is BS....it's all personal preference. Can any of you manual drivers give a legitimate reason why a standard is more benficial than an automatic, other than preference? I've towed a v-hull trailer loaded with motorcycles around and didn't notice my truck "gear searching" or having any problems roaming through the hills of PA.

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
So in reality, there's no one is better than the other. It really comes down to whether you want to fart around with a clutch or not. That's why I personally went with the automatic. Some people are lazy like me cause we've been ther and done that with manuals already and are probably tired of having to shift gears especially in and around town in traffic; then there are others who feel more manly because driving an automatic isn't "real" driving :rolleyes:....whatever floats your boat. To say a manual is better because of "x" is BS....it's all personal preference. Can any of you manual drivers give a legitimate reason why a standard is more benficial than an automatic, other than preference? I've towed a v-hull trailer loaded with motorcycles around and didn't notice my truck "gear searching" or having any problems roaming through the hills of PA.
Hummm you have a way with words. +1

He is right. I live on long island NY.. we have lots of traffic. I hate it here sometimes. I use to drive 5 speeds and have grown to hate it.

·
2012/14 Stanley Cup Champ
1,883 Posts
For those claiming that burning up clutches towing with a manual is BS as well. It all comes down how you drive. Living in CO and having to tow in the hills here, I can attest to this.

The main reason you hear of autos not being a preferred choice for towing, burning up the trans; hence the need for heavy duty tranny oil coolers. As the truck is 'gear hunting' a lot of excessive heat is built up which leads to premature failure. Personally, I would much rather have to replace a clutch ($300) vs rebuilding an auto ($$$$$$).

There's a reason most semi trucks are not automatics.

·
nooB nooB noo
06 Taco
545 Posts
This is my first vehicle with an automatic. It is sooooo much easier to pull the boat out of the water. My old truck was a Ranger w/ 5 spd, it worked, but I hated the lurch I got between the roll back and the clutch engaugeing when pulling out of the launch

·
Registered
211 Posts
For those claiming that burning up clutches towing with a manual is BS as well. It all comes down how you drive. Living in CO and having to tow in the hills here, I can attest to this.

The main reason you hear of autos not being a preferred choice for towing, burning up the trans; hence the need for heavy duty tranny oil coolers. As the truck is 'gear hunting' a lot of excessive heat is built up which leads to premature failure. Personally, I would much rather have to replace a clutch ($300) vs rebuilding an auto ($$$$$$).

true, but if you plan to tow with the automatic chances are you will fork out for the tow package; which does come with the transmission cooler at least mine did. Maybe in the old days auto trannies would burn out, but in todays market it's not so much a problem if you have the right equipment. Why are manuals becoming less available in the full sizes?

There are plenty of automatic semi trucks; GMC White/Volvo make them we use them in the military. However; it is true, they don't have the same amount of gears as their manual counterparts. Nonetheless, they are becoming more and more available.

·
lover of teh boobies
'05 Tacoma AccessCab
2,547 Posts
This is my first vehicle with an automatic. It is sooooo much easier to pull the boat out of the water. My old truck was a Ranger w/ 5 spd, it worked, but I hated the lurch I got between the roll back and the clutch engaugeing when pulling out of the launch
Learning how to drive a stick might have helped with the lurch. :lol:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts

I agree with everything said here. Almost.

It was never the actual towing that ended up damaging clutches for me, it was backing heavy trailers in tight spaces on uphill grades where I ended up smoking a clutch. Never enough to actually ruin it, but certainly enough to reduce the life of the clutch.

I can truthfully say that I never seem to encounter much in the way of gear hunting with the auto, but I also just drop it to 4 (or lower as needed) when pulling grades. Unlike some drivers, I am not afraid of the auto gear shifter. It always amuses me to watch the brake lights on vehicles running down a pass. They virtually ride the brakes the whole way instead of downshifting and coasting, even with an auto. Auto has made backing trailers in the places I need to so much easier.

Yes, semi 's have manuals, however almost all (Volvo, Peterbilt, International, etc.) are now offering automatic manuals, i.e. no clutch pedals. Even the guys that drive the big rigs get tired of the constant pedal action.

·
Registered
08 tacoma access cab
32 Posts
Get the auto with the towing package. You get the extra coolers with it and just do what the manual says. Yes some actually read those things. The reason auto's get damaged towing is heat. Tow in 4th gear and not Drive and it will stay locked up better and not hunt the gears. You will not be able to get the same mileage at the higher speeds due to engine rpm's but hey your pulling a trailer. You weren't going to get that anyway pulling that sail.

Most of the newer big 18 wheeler rigs have all gone auto. And the stick guys don't want to admit it but the new lock-up overdrive autos are rated better mpg than the manuals. Besides I'm just getting lazy. :naughty:

·
Registered
06 sport
214 Posts
Speaking of towing with a manual...i just bought my 06 manual this fall, and i've never towed with anything other than an auto before...right now i only have a 1400lb popup...basically can anyone here give me some advice about how to properly tow with a manual, such as what the highest gear i should be in when cruising flat highway speeds and what gear is good for inclines? any tips or tricks would be appreciated...thanks..:)

·
nooB nooB noo
06 Taco
545 Posts
Learning how to drive a stick might have helped with the lurch. :lol:
BWAHAHAHAHAHA, dood, I've been driving a stick shift for as long as you've been alive :eek: :D!!
When you figure out how to go through the gears without using the clutch and not grinding the gears, we'll talk. Now I got 2 years with the DCLB, auto tranny, and a cruise control programmed to act like Cybil.... life is good. :smokin:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts