Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Pickup 4x4
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I posted a lil while back when my clutch went out. The truck got stuck in reverse and its been in my garage since. I finally bought a new clutch, I dropped the transmission and to my dismay I still can't get out of reverse. The transmission is on blocks right now so I'm lookin for possible causes here. I'm gunna finish up the clutch tonight and try to sort out the tranny in the morning

Edit: link to my original post
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=355778

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,582 Posts
so the trans is out of the truck, sitting on the floor and you can't get it out of reverse? can you spin the input shaft and the output shaft spins the other way? might be time to split the case and see what's inside.

·
Registered
89 Pickup 4x4
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I'm gunna update this later tonight or tommorrow. I did end up splittibg the case. I put the reverese idlerre gear back to idle by haand and reassembled. I'm hooling up the drive shafts right now, I don't wanna say its fixed till I drive it but it seems to work. As best I can tell forcing it out of reverse got the shift lever stuck on some sort of reverse restrictor mechanism

·
Registered
89 Pickup 4x4
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well,
i did something wrong. have it all back together and its like i never replaced teh clutch. grinds the gears if i try to shift. atleast i can shift and its not stuck in gear anymore

·
Registered
89 Pickup 4x4
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update if anyones been reading these, I took apart the clutch... again and don't see anything wrong. I thought maybe I installed the disc backwards, but no. My friend comes over and says that looks different than your old one.
Turns out someone swapped something at somepoint and the transmission is from a 4 cylinder 4x4 not a 6. New clutch kit coming monday

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,582 Posts
4cyl trans shouldnt be able to bolt to a v6...
unless you swap bellhousings. Just out of curiosity, are we talking W or R series transmissions or did someone swap from R to W or vice versa? (I'm not up to date on what combos came on which trucks)

I ask cause all W trannies should have nearly interchangeable parts like clutches, likewise all R trannies. I've found they used different parts based on the engines but they still interchanged between trannies. you can use a M-W clutch with any M motor with any W tranny, but a 22re clutch with a W tranny is different than a M clutch with a W tranny. Did that confuse anyone, cause I confused myself. I can explain better if anyone's curious.

What I'm trying to say is that as long as you have, for example, the clutch for your v6 engine and any W transmission, ANY W transmission will mate to that clutch and engine (with the correct bellhousing) whether it's from a 4 cyl truck, 7M supra, 5M celica, SC300, etc. the problem is if you change transmission families... W5x for R15x because the W uses a push type pressure plate, the R uses a pull type.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.