Toyota Nation Forum banner

V6 with out muffler

2661 Views 30 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  94CoupeV6
in case ne of u ever wonder what ur V6 would sound like if u just chopped off ur muffler, ive done it. in my opinion, it sounds better than any muffler i ever put on it. basically i have 2 1/4 tubing from the resonator back and no other exhaust mods. the only down side is that peak in noise level at 22k rpms it resonates quite alot in the cab and is pertty loud but not straight pipe I4 loud. so here ya go. ill get in gear clips as soon as i can.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2292a6c6-10d1-4ddd-9883-9897001faba3.htm
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
a little, but just higher up in the rpms. the whole thing was actually an accident. when my old camry got totaled i wanted to swap the parts but the exhaust from 95-94 changed just a little, so my 95 muffler wouldnt fit. i didnt want to pay to have it welded on so i just got tubing from advanced and made my own. its gehtto i know but it fits the true theme on my car.:rolleyes: the coolest part is at warm idle its sounds like a V8.

· Banned
4,370 Posts
Blah, too loud, too raspy for me. Nothing wrong with using HD fence pipe for exhausts. It's right around 2 1/8".
Just BE SURE you steel brush the galvanized, or aluminuzed coating off the inside & out before welding. The fumes from welding those coatings can easily kill you if inhaled enough...

· I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
keep in mind thats a digital camera video and the mod cost only 11 bucks and about 40 minutes. oh and i didnt use fencing tubing. i prebent exhaust tubing from advanced auto parts. i wasnt about ready to spend hundreds of dollard on an exhaust for my camry no matter how much i love it. besides, i gotta save money for my Supra...that i dont have yet.

· VeeZed
2,297 Posts
Sounds damn awesome man!
I fired my V6 up with the pipes disconnect from before the cat, so straight out of the extractors...damn was it droney and loud. When accelerating even the slightest amount it vibrated the car!..mind you, i tested it out at 7AM hahaha

· Registered
262 Posts
I accomplished pretty much the same thing on the '89 Cressida I used to own with a couple of mufflers off an old Chevy truck and rigged up a dual exhaust system. I loved it, the thing really sounded like a V8. Nice deep sound right up until about 4k RPMs, which is all I ever took that thing up to anyways,

· I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ive had the muffler off for about a year and around 2000 rpms at mid thottle...its just anoying, but despite that the rest of the rpm range more than makes up for it. ill get drive by vid too.

· Registered
09 Camry SE V6
1,567 Posts
when he posted he said it was a V6 without a muffler

· Registered
444 Posts
WRX is an exception, the boxer engine fires horizontally in a different pattern (I believe 1,3,2,4) than pretty much any other Inline or V style 4 cyl. engine out there... its funny when people ask "How do i get my car to sound like a rex???" :deadhorse

· '99 5 Speed 1mz
183 Posts
nice, thats how mine used to sound. at 5-6k the intake is louder than the exhaust, i think thats awesome. it never annoyed me whatsoever though. truthfully, i would never pay 600 bucks for an exhaust when i made a badass one for 20 bucks (10 for the 2 1/4 ID fence post and 10 for flanges/gaskets) that actually performs pretty well (lost my dyno sheet, but i made 163 horsepower and 191 ft lbs of tq, dont know what stock is but however much i gained from homemade intake/exhaust makes me run a 15 flat...they also didnt know how to keep my car in third gear so they said the numbers are off, they should most likely be higher). when i dont want it loud i just bolt up the stock muffler and it goes dead silent just like stock.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.