Toyota Nation Forum banner

"Vacuum Fluorescent Display" on 2010 (09?) Camry SE XLE

9K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  njerald 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could post pictures of the "Vacuum Fluorescent Display" found on the Camry SE and XLE and maybe even the LE.

It is part of the upgraded (but not JBL) stereo system. (non-navi)

I believe that it has a black background.

it seems like it can display much more information than the regular display.

if possible, can you post pictures of it showing different information?

thanks

#4 ·
thanks for the pic.

I didn't know you could upgrade it after the fact. I saw that it also has a bunch of different features (bluetooth streaming for music) so it seemed too complicated to be an aftermarket job.

if anyone can take a picture of it playing a cd or mp3, that would be great too.

is it monochrome, or can it display colors as well?

I'd be getting it as part of a package to begin with. it seems like a great value. with bluetooth and usb port for ipod connectivity.

#14 ·
2010 Radios

per Toyota:

The std. radio on the LE and SE is made by Fujitsu Ten and has a LCD panel, not a VFD panel. No Bluetooth of either kind, no SFDARS tuner and no USB adapter but does have a AUX adapter.

The Panasonic Option on the LE, SE is a VFD panel with both bluetooth systems, the USB adapter and SDARS tuner.

The JBL/Fujitsu Ten option on the SE and LE has a VFD Panel, adds the 6 disc CD, amplifier, 8 speaker system, SDARS tuner along with the Bluetooth systems, and USB adAPTER.

The JBL/Denso NAV unit is similar to the JBL except 4 CD changer.

All have 3 levels of ASL settings.

#15 ·
thanks for the info njerald!

is there an advantage to the VFD panel? I tried to read up on it, but i couldn't find anything specific.

one beef I have with my current camry regular stereo screen is that it is tough to see while wearing polarized sunglasses.

also, what is ASL that you're talking about?
and the SFDARS?

is there any color in the VFD displays or only monochrome. thanks!

#18 ·
thanks for the info njerald!

is there an advantage to the VFD panel? I tried to read up on it, but i couldn't find anything specific.

one beef I have with my current camry regular stereo screen is that it is tough to see while wearing polarized sunglasses.

also, what is ASL that you're talking about?
and the SFDARS?

is there any color in the VFD displays or only monochrome. thanks!
Present panel is LCD.

Automatic Sound Level for increase in speed/noise.

Satellite Digital Audio Radio Service - XM Satellite

Color - don't know.

#20 ·
how does the vacuum fluorescent display (vfd) look at night?

with the regular lcd stereo screen, the whole display is backlit.

however with vfd, the background is black and the text is white. is the text just brighter, or is there some sort of backlight that changes the color of the background?

#21 ·
njerald I figure the JBL vs. Non-JBL have different connectors. Do you know if the connectors on the 2010 Panasonic Upgraded stereo (EX, Non-JBL) are also different from 07-09 Models with the Standard LE stereo?

"The Panasonic Option on the LE, SE is a VFD panel with both bluetooth systems, the USB adapter and SDARS tuner."

If you see where I am going with this... I have a Standard Non_JBL stereo on my 2007 Camry LE. I am interested in the factory USB upgrade from the 2010 Camry.

I saw this 2010 SE Camry on ebay. It has the Non-JBL stereo, but has the USB option. So I was wondering if this Head Unit would be compatible with 07-09 Camrys that have the standard Non-JBL stereo. Ofcourse the Panasonic Headunit and USB/AUX Panel components would have to be installed together to make this possible, but if the connections are not the same, then this is a lost cause. (All pics are from the same 2010 SE Camry on ebay)
Didn't look at the non JBL but it's very easy to check...........

Download the 2010 wiring diagram/radio connectors and compare it to the GEN6 wiring diagram.

#22 ·
#23 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.