Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here and looking hard at buying a 2018 RAV4 Hybrid, but the dealer won't come anywhere near invoice. I don't know if this is common with Toyota dealerships vs, say, Honda or Subaru. But the dealer is offering a "free" lifetime powertrain warranty with the sale, and I am sure the cost of the warranty is keeping the price higher than it could be. Anyone know what these warranties cost the dealers? Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would check a different Toyota dealer or Truecar.com. The powertrain is generally a 60,000 mile warranty, and the hybrid is either 100 or 150. By California state law, HV barreries, or possibly the hybrid system must be warrantied up to 150,000 miles. Any extended warranty is 2,000 pure profit for the dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In our area there is one toyota dealer (and one honda dealer) with reputation of no negotiating price. (Trade ins I suppose are a different story.) There prices and inventory are listed on their webpage and that is what you get for price. When I shopped around I found most of the other local dealers would not match the price without a lot of negotiation. One would. Another almost local dealer out in rural area was easiest to deal with - I did the deal by phone.

The point here is that pricing and inventory is available online for some dealers.

·
Read Only
3,920 Posts
Prices are going to depend on supply vs demand of each particular model. To get a good starting point for what the market is like for a particular model, try a buying service from Costco, credit union, etc, or one of the sites like TrueCar.

Some dealers (not just Toyota dealers) do offer a free extended or lifetime powertrain warranty (for original owner only). However, if you read the fine print, it is usually the case that you have to have all scheduled service done at the dealership, and it must include all dealer recommended service (which usually includes charges for inspections and other things that are usually done for free). So if you add that up, you usually end up paying a significant amount for the "free" warranty.

·
8,211 Posts
I would check a different Toyota dealer or Truecar.com. The powertrain is generally a 60,000 mile warranty, and the hybrid is either 100 or 150. By California state law, HV barreries, or possibly the hybrid system must be warrantied up to 150,000 miles. Any extended warranty is 2,000 pure profit for the dealer.

PZEV designation was taken off Toyota hybrids, far I know and, as the result, they are no more under CARB warranty requirement/150 000 miles. I know they dropped this for Camry Hybrid, I seriously doubt RAV4 somehow magically has PZEV designation, as it's basically same motor as TCH. Vehicle has to be PZEV to qualify for CARB warranty.

·
Registered
Rav4 Hybrid
86 Posts
It's all fun and games... until the dealership is sold or goes under a different name. Around here in Jersey.. the dealerships last 5-10 years, then they get a name change. There was a Ford dealership that was around since the 60s. Gave free oil changes to original owners. Then, some 10 years now, it closed one day. Was closed for a month or so, then opened under a new name. A couple of months later it as found the bookkeeper had stolen a half million dollars, so they were broke. There goes lifetime anything.

I've seen these "lifetime this and that", so long as you get all your service done at their dealership. And "service" meaning what the dealership wants done to the car. At 15K they want all your gear oil changed, then again at 36K.

If you were around in the early days of Sirus/XM, they were offering "lifetime packages" to their service. Basically, they wanted lots of money in a short amount of time to pay their bills. So paying 6X the yearly amount for a "lifetime" account got them quick cash. The first few year, when people changed cars or the radio devices broke, they moved their "lifetime" accounts to new devices. Then Sirius and XM had to merge, as the "digital age" of IPods, streaming and memory sticks drove people away from $$$ per year accounts. When Sirius/XM became one... good by "lifetime" accounts. It was now considered "lifetime" of the device, including car purchases or rentals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts