Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 89 pu 4x4 with 192,000 miles on it, runs great no smoke or it doesn't use oil but the valves rattle noticeable, I adjusted them one time and it helped a little. Can I do it again or will it be too much?

Thanks

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts
FWIW, when my '92 was new, the valve train was pretty quiet. It was still quiet at 35,000 miles when I did my first valve clearance inspection.

I found most of the clearances to be a little tight and I adjusted them to spec.

Ever since then, the valve train has been a little noisy. I did another inspection at 65,000 miles: the clearances had not changed and the valve train is still noisy.

Go figure!

·
Pipe Welder
Toyota Truck
127 Posts
I just fixed my 22re's top end and the #3 and #4 exhaust r-arm pads were scored bad! They both had 3 flat spots where they rode on the camshaft, making a god awful ticking- rattling sound. i also had my cyl. head rebuilt too. now it runs whisper quiet!! check your rocker arm pads for uneven wear!

·
Registered
corollaS/toy truck
8 Posts
Rocker arm ass. is not very difficult but you'll have to remove the head bolts to change it out or repair. Cooling system has to be completely drained first. Best to take it to a reputable mechanic if you arent experienced.

·
Pipe Welder
Toyota Truck
127 Posts
I paid $360 to get it rebuilt, 2 new rocker arms($13 each), a new camshaft($80) Pressure testing, and resufacing. It runs sooo much better now!

·
<^-~*PIMP*~-^>
758 Posts
That sounds like what is wrong with my truck..

·
Pipe Welder
Toyota Truck
127 Posts
Hereare some pixof the 2 rocker arms, Kinda fuzzy though. You can kinda see the pitting in the adjuster stud on the right. The 2nd pic you can see the three wear spots on the cam pad. Each time the cam lobe hit it i got a tap. You can imagine how that sounded every time the cam went around it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts