Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be doing my valve clearances on my 7MGTE (a joy yes, but it's too expensive to have a shop do it) as soon as the weather gets warm, however Toyota lists the "Valve Clearance Adjust Tool Set" as SST 09248-55010. Is there any way to get one of these used or a comparable set of tools? Deos anyone have any experience on how much obtaining a set of these to re-shim without the pain of removing cams costs?

·
Offical TN Hillbilly
2002 Silverado
1,757 Posts
I turn the cam to depress the lifter then use a srcewdriver on the lip of the bucket to hold it open. Rotate the cam lobe clear and pry the shim out with a small screwdriver. One of these days I'll weld up a tool. Remember to measure first and buy shims later. A shim that is no good in one spot may be able to be reused in another spot.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the first meathod seems possible, but what about getting the new ones in? Also, isn't there a retaining clip or something holding the shim in the bucket ? I'll definitely search EBAY, I just don't know what to look for.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Snap-on was a good suggestion........ http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...&group_ID=1569&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Let it be known for anyone else who has to do this for their 7M's too:

"Tool, Valve-Adjusting(Toyota, other OHC engines with spacer shims")

Description:
For Toyota and other overhead camshaft engines using spacer shims. Shim pliers push between the shim and camshaft, allowing the included YA8825-1 Wedge Tool to be placed between the valve lifter ledge and camshaft for easy shim replacement.

$42 bucks.....Better than paying the Toyota dealer 600$ + to do it!

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
The shim drops into the top of the valve lifter. There should be a slot on the lifer to insert something and pry the shim up. Plan on spending some time practicing using the shim tool, it takes some finesse. Make sure you have a something to measure the shim thickness with. Might mark each shim before removing it with one of those pins the junkyards, this way you can tell what want where.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Understood.....thanks for your help. I will be using a micrometer, and also measuring the cam lobes. There is a worrysome lifter tick that has been getting slightly worse since I bought the care 2 years ago with 55k. (Now 87K) and the shop foreman at Toyota deos not believe it is the valve clearance. I digress with him though because I measure 5 out of clearance, and 3 of them by more than 2 or 3 thousandths of an inch which is allot. Many Toyota mechanics (supposedly the best) have told me they 'never' should need an adjustment. It pisses me off when a company like Toyota knows so little about their own past cars. Let them go work on Corollas and Camrys.

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
At your mileage I'm also surprised any are out of spec. Not unheard of, but quite rare. Also what often is diagnosed as valve tick on a 7M is actually loud injectors. They are usually the first audible tick the supra gets. Not a sign of them going off or anything, but they are for whatever reason noisy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting.....any known way to tell them apart Bob? (less replacement)

It still has all the startup wear (cold starts) of 15yrs especially, and there is a very slight chance somone either repalced the speedo, dropped in a higher mileage engine after a BHG or just raced and ran it very hard in it's younger life. Having been a mechanic and heard all kinds of enignes I believe its the valves, but even smart informed people overlook stupid things all the time. Such as I did when I bought the car because of it's well preserved state, I did not find out until being under it much later it had been in a wrecked & fixed (well I might add) and repainted.

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
I use the old long handled screwdriver held to my ear...round side of course...and the pointy end touching the component I want to listen too...well, before I bought a stethoscope.

I was able to quite clearly hear (read deafeningly loud) the injectors ticking away when I touched each of them, and when held to the cam covers the shim sounds were present, but nothing out of the ordinary (one or tw were a little noisier than the others). I could actually still hear the injectors over the shims this way too...

·
Quasi-Evil Monkey
957 Posts
I just bought a Toyota valve shim tool on ebay w/spacer spoon-thingy for $23.00 shipped. My local dealer quoted $400 to do a valve adjustment on a 5SFE, so I could only imagine what they'd want for anything bigger, lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts