Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a'98 Camry with the 5SFE that has some excessive noise coming from the valve train....what are the intake and exhaust valve clearance specs?

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
IF you download the Cmary repair manula that is stickied at the top of the page you can find it in there. I dont know off the top of my head what it is.
You may look under the hood ont eh emissions/engine information sticker/ I know on a lot of vehicles the valve clearance is listed there.

The manual that is stickied at the top of the page is for the generation before yours but it is still the 5SFE engine.

IF you ahve never done a valve adjsutment on a 5SFE engine you are in for some fun. They use shims to adjsut the valves. THey are not screw type adjusters like used in a 22R series engine or a Honda engine. It is doable but helps if you ahve the shims available to you and there are many many shims that can be used.

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts
Yeah, and if you are unlucky enough to have one or more clearances out of spec, you'll need to pull the camshafts to access the shim.....UNLESS you have the required special tool.

Although you can get the tool from Toyota (break out your checkbook!), it is also available from Snap-On (as part of their "Blue Point" line of tools) for around 40 bucks, IIRC. I've never used the Toyota tool but I can tell you that the Blue Point tool definitely takes some getting used to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts