Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a rear (or front) valve cover gasket replacement? I understand leaks on this gasket are a common problem for this engine. What is involved in the job? What needs to be removed, unbolted, disconnected, etc. to safely and effectively perform this replacement. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

·
11,511 Posts
Has anyone done a rear (or front) valve cover gasket replacement? I understand leaks on this gasket are a common problem for this engine. What is involved in the job? What needs to be removed, unbolted, disconnected, etc. to safely and effectively perform this replacement. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

If you could get your hands on a service manual it would show you. Basically, it's removing any hoses and/or other items that would interfere with removing the valve cover, removing it, scraping off all the old gasket material if it does not come out clean and installing the new gasket, making sure the valve cover is securely fastened. Then start the car, and check for leaks,

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,614 Posts
The job is essentially the same on an Avalon as on the same year Camry with the same engine. Look at the free online FSM available at camrystuff.com.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, I did mine -- 99 Avalon. It took me a whole day. I replaced both front (easy) and rear :headbang: . I'll post up some pictures and tips...stay turned...

·
Registered
99 camry, 4 cylinder
12 Posts
Glendale,

I have a 99 camry 4 cylinder, I had to do mine 3 times to get it right, and I'll tell you this...follow the specs exactly, take your time, and use the right materials.

A valve Cover Gasket change is very easy, it just takes patience and finesse. Here is what you'll need:

1.) a NEW valve cover gasket, they should be about 15-20 bucks, and make sure you get the new grommets for the spark plug tubes too.

2.) A Plastic, NON METAL, scraping knife or putty knife. Actually Permatex sells a plastic razorblade scraper made just for getting off old gaskets and old gunk without harming your motor. This scraper costs $5 at an autozone, it does a good job. You will have to use elbow grease and just work it off, so take your time and make sure the mating surfaces are smooth and free of any old residue or gasket.

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/.../permatex-saferscraper-plastic-scraper-detail

3.) Brake Cleaner! a $3 can of brake cleaner from autozone, you'll use this to clean the valve cover and the groove your gasket sits in, it'll be oily and messy so you need to give it a good spray and let it air dry for a bit.

4.) THE RIGHT STUFF by Permatex. This stuff really is THE RIGHT STUFF. I had a nightmare trying to seal up my valve cover and nothing worked. Regular black RTV did nothing and it leaked immediately, Ultra Grey also did nothing, so I tried this stuff and boom! Perfect. It seals amazingly, it wont leak, it won't give up. Seriously, buy a can of "the right stuff", they have it at Autozone and it's about 13 bucks a bottle...that sounds expensive, but let me ask you this...how many times do you want to take apart your valve cover? Just once? then use this product. I don't even work for permatex and I love it. Solid product.

5.) A torque wrench! Whatever kind you want, just use one and use it right. DO NOT GO BY HAND on this job. At the end of this VCG change you need to put these big bolts back on your cover and they MUST be torqued properly, if you are off on the torque you can screw it all up and the whole job has to be redone. I made that mistake my first time doing this, but after using proper torque I had no problems. The torque should be 17-20 ft. lbs.

Have these materials on hand, follow the instructions in a manual or guide, and you'll do fine. there are also plenty of videos on youtube, just search.

Seriously though, use "THE RIGHT STUFF" for your gasket sealer, it is amazing and you wont worry about a leak for a long, long time. Trust me.

·
Registered
99 camry, 4 cylinder
12 Posts
Glendale,

I have a 99 camry 4 cylinder, I had to do mine 3 times to get it right, and I'll tell you this...follow the specs exactly, take your time, and use the right materials.

A valve Cover Gasket change is very easy, it just takes patience and finesse. Here is what you'll need:

1.) a NEW valve cover gasket, they should be about 15-20 bucks, and make sure you get the new grommets for the spark plug tubes too.

2.) A Plastic, NON METAL, scraping knife or putty knife. Actually Permatex sells a plastic razorblade scraper made just for getting off old gaskets and old gunk without harming your motor. This scraper costs $5 at an autozone, it does a good job. You will have to use elbow grease and just work it off, so take your time and make sure the mating surfaces are smooth and free of any old residue or gasket.

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/.../permatex-saferscraper-plastic-scraper-detail

3.) Brake Cleaner! a $3 can of brake cleaner from autozone, you'll use this to clean the valve cover and the groove your gasket sits in, it'll be oily and messy so you need to give it a good spray and let it air dry for a bit.

4.) THE RIGHT STUFF by Permatex. This stuff really is THE RIGHT STUFF. I had a nightmare trying to seal up my valve cover and nothing worked. Regular black RTV did nothing and it leaked immediately, Ultra Grey also did nothing, so I tried this stuff and boom! Perfect. It seals amazingly, it wont leak, it won't give up. Seriously, buy a can of "the right stuff", they have it at Autozone and it's about 13 bucks a bottle...that sounds expensive, but let me ask you this...how many times do you want to take apart your valve cover? Just once? then use this product. I don't even work for permatex and I love it. Solid product.

5.) A torque wrench! Whatever kind you want, just use one and use it right. DO NOT GO BY HAND on this job. At the end of this VCG change you need to put these big bolts back on your cover and they MUST be torqued properly, if you are off on the torque you can screw it all up and the whole job has to be redone. I made that mistake my first time doing this, but after using proper torque I had no problems. The torque should be 17-20 ft. lbs.

Have these materials on hand, follow the instructions in a manual or guide, and you'll do fine. there are also plenty of videos on youtube, just search.

Seriously though, use "THE RIGHT STUFF" for your gasket sealer, it is amazing and you wont worry about a leak for a long, long time. Trust me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts