Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have leaky valve cover gaskets on my 1989 V6 Camry.

I looked at the online manual, but some pages are missing.
http://camrystuff.com/index.php?page=Gen2_Manuals

To remove the cylinder head covers, as Toyota calls them, the manual refers to removing the air intake chamber on pages FI-76 and FI-77. However the online manual is missing FI-68 through FI-77.

There are a lot of connections on the intake chamber assy & it would be nice to have a manual to reference. Anyone know of another online manual?

Thanks in advance.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,790 Posts
Take some pictures or use tape and a marker (or both) if you are worried about getting everything hooked up correctly when you put it back together.

Make sure you do new gaskets on the intake manifold when you remove it...

-Charlie

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would take pictures, etc as you mentioned. But it still would be nice to get step by step instructions, along with any torque specs. There also may be some helpful hints in the manual.

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
i have the manual let me try to scan for you so you just need 76/77 ?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have the manual let me try to scan for you so you just need 76/77 ?
Thanks, that would be great. Correct, pages FI-76 and FI-77 according to another section. I presume you would just send the scan in a private message?

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
it seems as i have a different manual page fi76-77 shows how to remove/install the fuel pump for the all trac camry

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
atobe,

Thanks for checking.

I could not find a section in the manual directly relating to removing the valve covers. That step appears to be a subset of other procedures, or so it appears.

I started with the section:
“ADJUSTMENT OF VALVE CLEARANCE (2VZ–FE)”
1. REMOVE AIR INTAKE CHAMBER
(See steps 1 to 21 on page FI–76 and 77)
2. REMOVE CYLINDER HEAD COVERS
(See step 32 on page EM–80)

That’s what directed me to the FI-76 and 77 pages.

However further searching under
“REMOVAL OF CYLINDER HEADS”
21. REMOVE AIR INTAKE CHAMBER
(a) Disconnect the following hoses:
(1) PCV hose
(2) Vacuum sensing hose
(3) Fuel pressure control VSV
(4) (Calif. only)
EGR gas temperature sensor connector
(5) A/C control valve vacuum hose
(b) Remove the four bolts and two intake chamber stays.
(c) Remove the two bolts, two nuts, intake chamber and two
gaskets.

Here there is no mention of:
(See steps 1 to 21 on page FI–76 and 77)

So I don’t know if there is something I should be aware of on those pages 76 & 77. Anyway I’ll proceed & see what happens. Thanks again for your time.

·
1991 Camry v6
6 Posts
i just did this last sunday. the manual didn't give any good advice (at least mine didn't) on removing that air intake manifold, but my dad and i pretty much looked at the thing from all angles and felt with our hands which bolts were holding it on. also the EGR valve (i think that's what it is, looks kinda like a mushroom with a flat circular head) needs to be pushed back so that the edge of the manifold can clear it.

disconnect whatever hoses you see are stopping the thing from being removed and mark them with tape.

i hope this helps lol. honestly, just look and feel around as you take off bolts and hoses and you will see/feel where it is still being held on. it took my dad and me about 10 minutes to remove it just by removing bolts and hoses that we saw/felt were in the way.

good luck.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BrooklynStreets,

Thanks for the information. I guess it's not as bad as it looks. It just seems there are so many hoses & cables to disconnect.

Did your manual give a torque spec for the bolts that hold on the air intake chamber?

From what I've seen the complete gasket set will cost about $50. Did you find a source for anything cheaper?

·
1991 Camry v6
6 Posts
the Haynes manual i have does give torque specs for the bolts that hold the head on, i think it was 52 ft/lbs, but don't quote me on that, just going off memory.

as for the gasket kit, 50 bucks is a great price, the cheapest i found (locally) was 75 bucks.

make sure you get some high temp rtv sealer and apply a nice even coating to the gaskets and such.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts