Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone I just redone my timing cover gasket on Celica GT 1ZZ and everything worked well. But I got problem with valve cover gasket OIL IS POURING from drivers back bolt (gasket is new). Does anyone had same problem before?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Well, sound to me if you project was to replace the timing cover gasket, it didn't go well as everything didn't work. I would say you either didn't ensure everything surface the gasket touches was clean and dry prior to putting the gasket in, or the gasket slipped out of its retainer when you put the cover on and isn't on the sealing surface where it is now leaking. I think your only solution is to redo the gasket installation. You need to check if your current "new" gasket is crimped or flattened anywhere after inspection. If it is, you will need to get another "new" gasket to put it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That looks like a big leak out of the valve cover on driver side. This job is so easy the gasket should not leak.

You should take the valve cover out, clean metal surfaces with a plastic blade and redo the gasket. At the joints of the 3 surfaces, block, timing cover and valve cover you should add silicone sealant on metal surface under the gasket, or it will leak oil.

The torque spec for those bolts are very low on the Aluminum block, like 8 Ft-lbs all around and 10 ft-lbs for the 2 center nuts.. Be careful or you may strip those holes and cause bigger problems..

·
Registered
581 Posts
you must have either mixed up the torque spec on the bolt, or the gasket moved while you were installing it and isn't seated correctly. That or you broke the gasket...

My guess is you over-tighten the bolts.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
There is also a packing material used on some of these valve covers, if they go over penetrations for the cam shafts and/or distributor units (I don't think the 1ZZ uses a distributor though, but it would have at least one cam shaft penetration if the cam drive from the timing belt is a single pulley - two penetrations of each cam and driven separately by the timing belt).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts