Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 93 tercel with150k started missing heavily. Took compression...150, 150, 80, 120. Shop, nearby wants $700.00 for valve job. Worth it?

G

·
Are you pulling the head yourself or are you going to let the shop pull it, do the valve job and re-install it for you?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Doing it yourself isn't that hard, but you have to make your own valve compression tool by modifying a stock tool. The moulded aluminum makes it hard to compress the valve springs to set the stays.

A valve job is a good idea as many of the 3e-e engines had valve oil seals that were factory defective.

·
Registered
427 Posts
just take it off urself unless you arent capable. a decent shop should do a valve job and resurface for 200 or less. i had my 22r head done for 150. hell bring it to my house ill only charge you 250 for labor lolz!

·
Registered
'71 FJ40, '94 Tercel
3 Posts
Are you sure it's the valves? A busted ring could give a low reading as well. Before you spend the cash, squirt a little oil in each cylinder and run the test again. Better to be sure than have them rebuild the head and the problem was elsewhere.

You might also consider a leak-down tester. Screw it in like a comp gauge, add pressure, then listen at the throttle-body, exhaust, etc for escaping air. Doesn't give you numbers (actually it can) but a good idea of where things might be going bad.

·
Registered
89Terc3dr/92pu4x4
357 Posts
agree w/azlar first check to see if the valves are the issue. elliminate the rings.
put a little hyper lube in the low hole. then redo your compession test. if the numbers raise significanly (they will raise a little), you know its a ring issue. also, check oil and water contamination, bad gasket. just to make sure.

both those dont cost $ to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts