Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the head on my 22r with an new head and have horrible valve noise, had mechanic check valve adjustment. Valve adjusted properly, everything tight and in good working order, truck runs great just sounds bad. any suggestions as to the problem? Do you think it is safe to drive my truck in this condition. It seems to run fine, just really noisey valves.

Thank you
Max

·
Registered
191 Posts
with the valve cover removed look down at the timing chain and guides. the tensioner is one one side, look for any slack in the chain, broken guides, anything out of place. did you hear the noise before the head swap? If so look at that. If not, I would still look at it but your problem probably lies in the recent maintenance.

ps.
welcome to the club, you have a 22re that sounds like shit but will probably run forever.

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
Are you saying you have cranked up the engine with the valve cover off?

Man, we did that when we did my timing chain and in one second it slung about a quart of oil everywhere. I had a rattling noise in mine too, but it turned out I had loosened the bolts on the main pulley that holds it together and forgotten to tighten them back up...

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
When placing the head on the block it is not hard to break the timing chain guides. this would lead to a bunch of noisey from the timing chain.

What does the mechanic say about the noise?

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
Noisey Valves?

I just reread your post and it came to me that we do not know what kind of noise you have.

So describe the noise and the conditions under which it occurs.

·
Registered
128 Posts
[
ps.
welcome to the club, you have a 22re that sounds like shit but will probably run forever.[/quote]

Laughed my ass off. That just about sums it up!

Valves sound like a very even tick kind of like the noisy injectors on these things, but louder. The timing chain changes volume and pitch all the time. The timing chain is worst just off idle and at idle. When revved, it usually blends into the other noises. At idle you you should just hear the injectors, when revved you will hear the valves a bit.

·
A legend in his own mind.
232 Posts
I have a sound at about 1900-2100 depending on the day, sounds are so hard to describe with words though:sosad: so im gonna say it sounds like someone taping a pop can with a fork really fast:confused: kind of a poppy ticky sound.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
1900-2100rpm might be something more like pinging. This can be caused by improper timing, excessive carbon build up or too high of compression ratio (head been milled?) inoperative EGR valve. operating temp too high.

Valve noisey is usually very evident at idle and a little less at higher rpms

As was mentioned these engines are rather noisey anyhow, but if you suspect something out of ordinary then you should at least find someone who can tell you for sure that it is OK to drive.

A lot of 20 and 22 R engines have the valve covers over-tightend which will cause the valves to be noisey. I've heard a lot of people that will tell you it is because the cover hits the rockers, but actually it is because when you over-tighten the nuts on the valve cover it pulls up on the rocker shafts increasing the valve clearance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts