Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have those metal caps that you don't need to remove to check the air pressure in the tires (and have been using them for a decade maybe more). Well, today I checked the air pressure in my tires- bad idea.

When checking, one of the caps stayed depressed and was releasing air. I tried to remove it by hand and couldn't turn it. So I tried pliers, no luck. After trying a few things it broke, but not until it released ALL the air.

The other 3 caps are also stuck and I have been unable to get them removed. I only have 1 spare, so I needed to be careful not to break any more, causing the air to be released. I tried to heat up the caps, no help.

The car is going to the shop tomorrow so they can do... something. I'm guessing I might need new stems all around.

It got much more annoying when I tried to change the flat tire. The lug nuts wouldn't turn... at all. I didn't wanna break the bolts, so I'll let AAA use their gun on them in the morning. The last time the tires were off was when they were rotated at Toyota, a few months ago.

At least I found out tonight, instead of at 6am Monday morning as I was leaving for work.

Checking air pressure shouldn't be such a freakin' pain.

b
 

·
Registered
Camry
Joined
·
6,925 Posts
An air impact can deliver 800 lb ft or more so depending on what tools you have, you might not be able to remove the lug nuts at all.

After San Francisco Toyota got done with my car, I couldn't remove my lug nuts with a 24" breaker bar. Standing on it, I was applying maybe 280 lb ft. Even jumping on it didn't do anything. I finally managed to get it off with a 40" breaker bar 3/4" drive.
 

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
Joined
·
6,123 Posts
I love stories like these..............
 

·
2GR FTW
2007 Toyota Camry SE
Joined
·
1,543 Posts
40" breaker bar with a 3/4" drive, damn, that thing must be huge, I guess the dealership definitely overtorqued those lug nuts. I believe Toyota torque specs for lug nuts are around 80-90lb ft or so.

You should just use regular valve stem caps from here on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the car went to the shop today. The valve stem was replaced. I was a bit surprised by the cost, and by that I mean... what the f'ing hell- more than $200 to fix this, for 1 stem!?! I couldn't freakin' believe it, it should be $10. And of course, it's still possible that I have to replace 3 more of them- turns out, I'm not exactly happy about that.

Now, I think I'll spend a bit of time trying to remove the other 3 to hopefully not have to pay that ridiculous sum thrice. So, I'm thinking I'll try:
-WD-40
-heat the cap (which will hopefully expand allowing me to twist it off)
-using a dremel, carefully slice the cap near the threads, then peal it away
-contact the maker and bitch at them when then give me no help or suggestions or retribution

To sum up, $2 part = possible $1000 repair.

b
 

·
Registered
Camry
Joined
·
6,925 Posts
What exactly did they do for $200? Did they replace the pressure sensor?

I'd keep WD-40 away if I were you. It doesn't help anything and will just make a mess if you don't clean it up. I dunno why everyone tries to use it remove stuck on fasteners. Get something like PB Blaster instead.

As for heating the thing, be careful not to damage the pressure sensor.
 

·
Maven
Joined
·
3,070 Posts
With the valve stem at the top position, put a drop or two of Liquid Wrench penetrant on the thread and let it soak for a little while. Try a pair of Vise Grips to start loosening it but be careful not to apply too much pressure to avoid damaging the valve stem itself. Try a little tightening and then loosening, back and forth action.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The saga continues

The $2 part only cost me a bit more than $200 so far (but I don't think that's over yet).

-1st one cost me the dough
-2nd & 3rd: filed down the caps until I got close to the stem's threads, then after a bit of fiddling I was able to unscrew it (fiddling=liers, chisel, dremel, etc.)
-4th: used pliers to try to twist it off (like it's supposed to)... and it moved, so I was slow and careful, and it came off

NTB told me that after adding the new stem the only thing to do was "reset" it with the button. WRONG. Toyota said it'll cost me $50 to have them reprogram the ECU for the new stem. I gotta make a call to NTB first to see what they say.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top