Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be doing a power steering fluid flush as preventative maintenance. I've gone through the DIY.

This is my first time doing this, and want to make sure I am using the correct compatible fluid.

The packaging label says it's compabitble for select import vehicles before 2006.

On the rear label, it doesn't list Toyota. My Corolla is 2006. Again, just making sure I am good to go with this fluid.

·
Various Toyotas
5,009 Posts
I would use a fluid spec'd for T-IV. That being said, there are those who think that T-WS is backwards compatible and that you can use that as well. Valvoline Max-Life Synthetic is spec'd for both.

Here is what's spec'd for the Gen 9 Corolla: EDIT: It's spec'd for T-II or T-III, so what you have in that blue bottle is perfectly fine and to spec, but T-IV is still what I would use since it's an improvement. Even T-WS.

Doing a power steering flush on this system often results in the power steering reservoir U-hose leaking. I would at least try to use fuel injection hose clamps instead of the stock clamps that come with the U-hose. I can't remember the size of the fuel injection clamp, but I remember it was the biggest one that Napa parts store had and it just barely fit. If your fuel injection hose clamps don't stop it from leaking, you'll need to get a replacement U-hose from either the Mitsubishi or Dodge dealer. Just go with whichever one is cheaper and/or closer to you.

Here's my Corolla with fuel injection clamps on the new Mitsubishi U-hose:

I replaced the hose and the clamps at the same time, so I don't know if it was the clamps or the hose that stopped the leak. Here's the hose in case you need it:

Reactions: 75aces

·
Registered
67 Posts
I use the toyota ATF DEX III for power steering.

I have had really good results . No leaks or anything funny going on . My old power steering pump failed , I picked up a used one with 20k miles on it for 45$ off Ebay / LKQ ..

·
イリジウム
12,276 Posts
That’s a low cost Dino fluid and will work. Walmart’s Supertech Mercon-V is syn blend and better. The Maxlife is fully syn and at $18/gallon very good.

It’s the “Dexron” standard you’re looking for. And GM owns that. Ford’s equivalent is “Mercon”.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the inputs everyone. From the original DIY, no one has mentioned of leaking from the return line.

With that being said, my chassis has just under 130k. To my knowledge, this service has not been done under the PO or me.

Per the DIY, you are plugging the container with an ear plug and inserting the 7/16" OD hose into the return line and clamping it. I have some spare worm clamps and will use to avoid stressing the original hose clamp. The hose I am using is not PVC. It's viynal hose and according to HD, it won't last long.

I am hoping I get lucky and it doesn't leak.

The cap itself says to use Dexron for the power steering. OM says to use Dexron II or III.

·
Registered
04 Matrix XRS 05 Pontiac Vibe
40 Posts
I just did mine, haven’t noticed any leak yet, used cheap Canadian Tire stuff. Also haven’t noticed any problems. 99% sure it was dexron III compatible.

·
イリジウム
12,276 Posts
The factory reservoir has a plastic strainer at the bottom. Hopefully it's not blocked.

Dexron, II and III were obsolete standards. Since GM no longer licenses those, people can't use "Dexron" or Dexron II/III on their jugs. That why you see "Dex/Merc". Then buyers know that's for the old Dexron/Mercon.

Dexron VI (low viscosity) is today's standard. For those prefer a thicker fluid Supertech Mercon-V is a good candidate and for the longest time I held on to it (now it's Maxlife). For the price, most just use the Maxlife in the jug, which works out to about $4.50 a quart.

·
イリジウム
12,276 Posts
There are fewer and fewer applications that use the plain Dex/Merc. So carefully verify the application.

·
Various Toyotas
5,009 Posts
They didn't have quart bottle. I ended up with the 5 qt jug. I don't even know if I'd use it all up for a long while. Since it's Mercon compatible, need to see if I can use it on my Mazda.
Although fluid rated for T-IV would be "better", there's nothing wrong, per se, with your Dex/Merc fluid. I believe you can use it in the PS since it is what is spec'd on the cap. You have the stuff, so might as well use it (or use it in another car) if you can't bring it back and get a refund.

·
Various Toyotas
5,009 Posts
Plain, but fresh dino Dex III fluid has got to be better than old, dirty synthetic fluid spec'd for T-IV or better.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just used it last night. Was on the fence for most of yesterday trying to gather as much Intel possible.

Didn't want to inadvertantly use the wrong fluid not spec'd for the power steering system.

But did have a mistake last night that made me very nervous. When I plugged everything back up, forgot to cycle the power steering fluid back through. When I went to test drive it, the pump was whining like hell! It was around 11 pm. Had to put more fluid and cycle through. Took only 12 cycles. Lol. Dodged a major headache.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts

Use a fluid that doesnt break down as quickly as the cheap swill. Such an easy upgrade! Any full viscosity PSF or ATF is what I recommend.

Factory isnt dex2 or 3. A couple of my old UOAs of Toyota factory fill had a dose of zinc that is not ueed in Dexron ATFs but is common with hydraulic and PSFs. I use and recommend either boutique or Asian synthetic PSF too.

·
Various Toyotas
5,009 Posts
A couple of my old UOAs of Toyota factory fill had a dose of zinc that is not ueed in Dexron ATFs but is common with hydraulic and PSFs. I use and recommend either boutique or Asian synthetic PSF too.
Interesting......is Honda PS fluid like that?

I've been using synthetic T-IV with almost 400K with no PS problems, so I'll keep using it.

But did have a mistake last night that made me very nervous. When I plugged everything back up, forgot to cycle the power steering fluid back through. When I went to test drive it, the pump was whining like hell! It was around 11 pm. Had to put more fluid and cycle through. Took only 12 cycles. Lol. Dodged a major headache.
Probably not long enough to do any damage. All quiet now?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Honda psf was like a Sae30 motor oil and was 50% thicker than common ATF/PSF.

T-IV isnt synthetic. What brand are you using that is?

·
Various Toyotas
5,009 Posts
Honda psf was like a Sae30 motor oil and was 50% thicker than common ATF/PSF.
Interesting about the Honda PS fluid. Does it have Zinc?

T-IV isnt synthetic. What brand are you using that is?
What I mean is that I've been using a synthetic ATF spec'd for T-IV (I should have been more clear). Usually I'm using Amsoil ATF which is spec'd for T-IV. I may have used Valvoline MaxLife synth ATF and Toyota T-IV to top it off before I replaced the leaking U-hose and clamps.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts