Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a New 2010 HL SE AWD on the way and the dealer is offering this Vehicle Protection Package For $550 ($100 off individual prices):

• Paint Sealant (5yr) $150
  • Rust Proofing (Unlimited) $195
  • Undercoating $165
  • Fabric Shield (5yr) $140
The Undercoating and Rust Proof seem to make sense to me, Don't know about the paint sealant and the fabric sealant as the seats are leather.

We live in the Lehigh Valley of Eastern PA and see lots of road salt.

Would appreciate any opinions, experiences.

Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
420 Posts
Cars destined for cold climates (countries and states) generally come with rustproof coating from factory (in most cases at least). What they call an undercoating i'm not sure, as the underside of the car contains steel, stainless steel, plastic and sometimes felt. What they are going to do all of this is rather interesting. I've also yet to see a modern car that wasn't made for hot and dry climates to rust during a reasonable usage time (10 years or so). If it is new - you are unlikely to keep the car beyond 7-8 years and rust will not be an issue during this period.

So to me the whole offer sounds like a bogus reason to extract extra cash from you.

·
4,180 Posts
I wouldn't, all you're buying is overpriced wax, tar and scotchguard. Nothing magical or special, $100 worth of product for $550. Call around including to Ziebart and see how much they would charge. If ANYTHING on that list, maybe I'd get the Rust Proofing but not before calling around.

Don't fall for their sales pitch, you can get it done at any time.

·
Now - 2011 Explorer Ltd
377 Posts
Protection Package

Not sure about Highlanders sold in the States but here they come with a 5 year unlimited guarantee against rust perforation. Also, I had a paint sealant applied many years ago to a new 1979 Olds 98 Regency and I could swear it made the paint more prone to chipping. A lot depends upon how long you intend to keep the HL. I think I would shop around before committing to this package.
:welcome: to the club!

Peter

·
Registered
52 Posts
I did some reading on Consumers Reports and they basically say all of these things are waste of good money. Especially for cars with good reps like Toyotas for rust out, etc.

I will be passing on these items.

Ken

·
Registered
209 Posts
When putting together my car order, I balked at the $699 Toyo Guard. I live in a no salt area. Never a rust problem down here. I am also getting leather. Can I really believe someone is going to put on paint sealer? What the heck is that anyway, a fancy name for turtle wax? How will you even know if someone does it? I told them to locate a car with out that stuff. Looks like a scam to me other than the undercoating.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,703 Posts
I agree with the others: "Protection Packages" = money-making scams for dealerships.

·
4,180 Posts
Toyo Guard is a 'protection package' created by South East Toyota (SET) to solely increase profits. In exchange for helping Toyota to expand across the country, Jim Moran got exclusive distribution of Toyota vehicles throughout the South East region.

Any Toyota sold in Florida, George, Carolina's, etc goes from TMS (Toyota Motor Sales) to SET to individual dealerships. SET then marks each and every vehicle up (moreso than if the dealerships bought directly from TMS) and adds Toyo Guard to each and every vehicle whose costs is then passed on directly to the consumer.

Toyo Guard is a complete ripoff but that's the 'reason' why. SET is so successful that Toyota could not afford to buy the distribution rights back. Toyota didn't make the same mistake with Lexus which are distributed directly from Lexus to the dealers without the SET middleman.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts