Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Did somebody say snow?
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many truck owners on here are from Ventura County, CA. I'm going to be spending the next couple of weeks in the Pt. Mugu area. Just wondering if there's any light off roading areas in the canyons off the PCH. I'll be doing some mountain biking on the Sycamore trail but want to get the truck dirty too. Is there a beach that allows cars on it? Maybe we can get a small group together?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Welcome to Ventura! Sycamore Canyon is a great place to go riding, I used to go there all the time. As far as the trails go, I'm not too sure, there's always the river bottom, but that's illegal and the local PD has cracked down on it lately

·
Registered
766 Posts
Pretty much no wheeling from L.A. to Santa Maria, and then nothing else until Northern SLO county. Environmentalists rule SoCal...

·
Registered
Toyota Tacoma TRD
8 Posts
Cops are cracking down everywhere in cali. I just got pulled over yesterday for doing a little off roading at my usual "secret" spot after class about 5 minutes away for campus here in Riverside. I managed to talk the officers out of the 500 dollar ticket they were about to give me along with my vehicle being impounded. He threatened me with jail time too!:confused: My spot is blown now, I don't know where to go off roading anymore after school to relieve some stress. Guess I'll have to do the 45 minute drive to the dry lake bed at el mirage. :thumbsdow

sorry, just realized this post is pretty off topic.

·
Did somebody say snow?
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the bike and me will do just fine on the Sycamore. It's been a long winter up here in Portland. Lookin' forward to getting back on the bike and tearing up some singletrack.

·
reg cab taco for life!
2008 Toyota Tacoma
198 Posts
I think the bike and me will do just fine on the Sycamore. It's been a long winter up here in Portland. Lookin' forward to getting back on the bike and tearing up some singletrack.
we will have to meet and and ride sometime, im always looking for some need people to ride with.... and all the guys from work are too lazy right now

·
Tacoholic
343 Posts
I live in the 805

There's a lot of offroad in the Los Padres National Forest, including the Hungry Valley Offroad Area off the 5 by Pyramid.

Have a good trip.

·
Did somebody say snow?
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, I made it down to Pt. Mugu today. Long drive from Sacramento. And windy as hell on I-5 for pretty much most of the drive today. I was getting around 350 miles on a tank of gas on an average fill-up of 18 gallons of 87 octane and averaged 18 mpg doing 70 most of my trip south.

I got about 18 miles from Santa Clarita and on the side of the grapevine was a Jeep or something that had caught on fire and was completely engulfed in flames and all that was left were the rims, engine, chassis and pillars. I think it might have been a four door Wrangler. I couldn't tell, that's how bad this was.

On a technical note, I had the cruise control set at 70 and the wind was so gusty that at times the truck was surging to 3 or 4 grand to keep up. It was cruising normal at 2 grand. Is this common? Should I have turned off the cruise control? I've never noticed this with my other vehicles.

·
Did somebody say snow?
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
welcome to VC are you stationed at mugu or at hueneme?

No, I'm not in the service. My brother is. Im staying at Pt. Mugu Naval Base. I'm just down here visiting while the kids are on spring break since I'm currently unemployed. Also came down to check out the job situation here. But mainly for sun and warm weather.

·
reg cab taco for life!
2008 Toyota Tacoma
198 Posts
weather should be nice today.. but then its supposed to rain hahaha, if you need any parts for your truck while you here go by toyota of oxnard and i can hook you up with some deals (i work there) just ask for tim and i will see what i can do for ya

1 - 16 of 16 Posts