Toyota Nation Forum banner

Venza 2022 XLE with standard audio

2463 25
I have a Venza 2022 XLE with the 6 speaker audio on reserve - to be delivered in a couple of weeks.

Read some posts that even the JBL upgraded sound system isn't that good.

Is the 6 speaker audio terrible? I know some people are audiophile's and have super high standards but I would like some honest feedback on the sound.

I am on the road about 15k plus miles a year and would want decent/good audio. I also understand there is a bit of a break in period with speakers.

Not able to actually get in a Venza for a listen at this point. Coming from a 2017 Sorrento which has pretty decent sound IMHO.

Thanks.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2022 Venza XLE with standard audio system, I’ve had it for 3 months now. I listen to a variety of genres and the sound system is pretty good. I’m coming from a BMW X5 and honestly, the sound difference isn’t that big.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2022 Venza XLE with standard audio system, I’ve had it for 3 months now. I listen to a variety of genres and the sound system is pretty good. I’m coming from a BMW X5 and honestly, the sound difference isn’t that big.
Thank you for the reply. I was thinking that Toyota wouldn't go super cheap on the audio for a vehicle in this price range. My son's 2012 entry level Hybrid Camry sounds pretty good IMHO.

· Registered
2021 Toyota Venza XLE
165 Posts
I have premium and really didn’t want it since it was up charge of $1,000 plus and I didn’t want the touch buttons that others complained about. Now I wouldn’t have it ant other way. I love the cool air seats that you only can get with the premium radio (upcharge). I use the buttons the wheel a lot so the buttons on the radio are fine with me. I do listen talk radio, hip hop, techo, rock. I think it sounds great and has great bass for me. Many moons ago I had the 200w amp and the kicker etc that I grew out of but this has a good sound to me with plenty of low end for me.

· Registered
4 Posts
I found the 6-speaker system to be a weak point for the Venza, but not enough of a deal breaker for me to forgo the car. It sounds similar if not identical to the base speakers in the RAV4 LE/XLE. Since everyone drives a RAV4 in their family, or knows someone who does, I'm sure you can ask for a ride to test out the speakers.

I feel like Toyota skimped on the audio system so they could position the Venza in-between the RAV4 and NX. If you listen to a lot of music while driving, especially at highway speeds, I would give the NX a serious look. The base 10-speaker system in the NX 350h seems to have good reviews across the board.

· Registered
120 Posts
I have a Venza 2022 XLE with the 6 speaker audio on reserve - to be delivered in a couple of weeks.

Is the 6 speaker audio terrible? I know some people are audiophile's and have super high standards but I would like some honest feedback on the sound.

I am on the road about 15k plus miles a year and would want decent/good audio. I also understand there is a bit of a break in period with speakers.

Not able to actually get in a Venza for a listen at this point. Coming from a 2017 Sorrento which has pretty decent sound IMHO.

Thanks.
After 2 consecutive leased XSE Camry’s, a ‘15 & ‘18, getting into my first CUV, my first hybrid, this ‘21 Venza an XLE, with the softex seats, heated, cooled and the Nav, JBL & sub w/1,200 watts and 9 spkrs system tuned specifically for this Venza- my hats off to the audio engineers who created this audio marvel. This coming from Toyota was a marked improvement over the previous audio systems I was getting as basic and std as these were lot cars as were delivered.
So if this was a conscious decision by Toyota or the dealers to outfit the XLE & Limited trims w/upgraded audio on Venza’s, it was a smart move to help make the decision even easier for customers to pull the trigger on taking the vehicle. Heated steering whl was also welcome as my hands are always cold in cooler weather, so the rest of the options as was delivered was very well appointed and all that was left was the choice of exterior colors. Only 3 were available on that day, so Ruby Flare was chosen.
During my test drive my wife and I both remarked how quiet and plush the interior was, the audio system was JBL another first and tuning the XMSIRIUS to my favorite ch- 066, Watercolors or smooth jazz, I was immediately aware of the deeper bass and the very directional A pillar spkrs focusing the mid to high frequencies, with the door speakers fullness creating a very satisfying aural experience that made me smile. Suddenly I had flash backs of my past Audiomobile amp rack system from years ago, but that was a totally different animal, Wild.
This system isn’t the end all be all, but it does offer a lot of pleasant sounds that I was previously lacking in the sedans. It would’ve been nice to have had a JBL system in those Camry’s as a reference to compare notes.
Now, what I have is good enough to not make me want to rip out everything and rebuild the system to some sick over the top, gonna go deaf with 10” ported subs, 1 Farad Caps, pre amp, Eq, and spkrs everywhere, miles of wire, deep cycle battery etc. I’m not competing or wanting to worry about theft of a valuable old school system, not to mention added insurance premiums as this wouldn’t be considered OEM !
In my 2 years of driving in this VENZA w/JBL, it has been a premium experience, I did add by way of the front audio jack a portable CD player as another source. I’m glad I got lucky when I switched out of my ‘18 Camry as having to wait for a custom built Venza wasn’t in the cards, as they say: timing is everything !
So summing up, if you have the choice to get the upgraded audio pkg, I would seriously consider it as a must have. If you like music and good clean sounds, you could do a lot worse than this OEM JBL w/sub. This cinched the deal for me overall.
This CUV is a keeper after the 2023 lease year is over. Michelin CC2’s are next and they’re quieter than these stock Bridgestones. That will help the audio sound too, as would sound deadening materials, another topic down the road.

FWIW…..
Who knows if I don’t get Wild & Crazy with my Audiomobile system pulled out of mothballs when I’m fully retired !! lol 😏 hmmm……

· Registered
120 Posts
I prefer the JBL system. For me it is an excellent upgrade with great sound. Oh, the ventilated seats are a definite buy.
It’s funny how these creature comforts that we enjoy now with these modern cars has us thinking I could never Not have the heated steering wheel, seats and of course the air cooled equivalent in summer. Are we getting spoiled ? Of course…..
Remote start was one of my personal favs many years ago with the auto window roll ups, I think it was a Viper system which also had a paging type of device that would notify you if your alarm was activated. It had a windshield antenna for great range. Todays nickel and dime BS pay for the RS option, after a free trial then monthly is seriously backward and counter productive. All this tech in our cars now is overly complex and removes the driver/owner from the ability to control his or her own decisions. Big middle finger to Toyota for trying to monetize aspects of our vehicles that should be as it was years ago. This car play and the usb charging is also a PITA for me as it takes over your system's display and you can’t do what You want. So I use the 12V adapter instead. SMH. I will not comply.

· Registered
58 Posts
It’s funny how these creature comforts that we enjoy now with these modern cars has us thinking I could never Not have the heated steering wheel, seats and of course the air cooled equivalent in summer. Are we getting spoiled ? Of course…..
Remote start was one of my personal favs many years ago with the auto window roll ups, I think it was a Viper system which also had a paging type of device that would notify you if your alarm was activated. It had a windshield antenna for great range. Todays nickel and dime BS pay for the RS option, after a free trial then monthly is seriously backward and counter productive. All this tech in our cars now is overly complex and removes the driver/owner from the ability to control his or her own decisions. Big middle finger to Toyota for trying to monetize aspects of our vehicles that should be as it was years ago. This car play and the usb charging is also a PITA for me as it takes over your system's display and you can’t do what You want. So I use the 12V adapter instead. SMH. I will not comply.
I think you are over sensationalizing it. Come on. They put in the cars what buyers want and what buyers buy. I certainly do not think that Toyota is anywhere close to putting too much technology in their cars.

· Registered
120 Posts
I think you are over sensationalizing it. Come on. They put in the cars what buyers want and what buyers buy. I certainly do not think that Toyota is anywhere close to putting too much technology in their cars.
Just one mans opinion, I’m old school and have seen major leaps and bounds in our technology, but at some point I would like to have less reliance on this tech under the over abundance of caution/safety, insanity run amok. Self driving cars, yeah right, not for me. Sorry. Electric only ?more BS from a corrupt administration. Phase out gas engines by 2035 ? Not happening ! Our grid is not ready to supply the electricity that these clean, green new deal lunatics want to impose on us.
What’s the cost of making batteries lately, who has the mining and minerals required to build them ? “Chyna” of course. How much $$$$$$$ does an electric car cost these days ? Who can afford that ?? It’s insane to think we will get away from oil as our energy source, the infrastructure required is a looong way off. Maybe when we’re all dead and buried will we be transitioning into the green new deal that’s being force fed into our lives today. It’s all a scam. Wake up.
Let me live and enjoy driving while it’s still legal ! lol

· Registered
47 Posts
I wasn’t impressed with the sound of either system. I opted for the knob unit. Then replaced all speakers and added a pioneer digital sound processor a decent sub.
I’ve very pleased with the sound of the system now. Not at all fond of either or any of Toyota interfaces

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. So....I really don't want to add another couple thousand to the purchase for the upgrades or go to the limited....So far mixed reviews on the standard audio...and good reviews on the JBL mostly.

I will get to test it myself in a couple of weeks I suppose (reserved XLE). I just wanted to get an idea ahead of time so I can figure out what to do if it was dreadful. Sounds like it's not bad but not premium.

Not sure I can find the XLE with the upgraded tech package easily. Maybe that's the way to go so I don't have to second guess.

I am getting a great trade on my current vehicle and will likely go with this dealership. The used market is starting to decline in pricing so I don't have too long a window IMHO.

· Registered
24 Posts

Thanks.
Just a matter of opinion I guess I have the JBL system and I think it sounds excellent!

· Registered
120 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far. So....I really don't want to add another couple thousand to the purchase for the upgrades or go to the limited....So far mixed reviews on the standard audio...and good reviews on the JBL mostly.

I will get to test it myself in a couple of weeks I suppose (reserved XLE). I just wanted to get an idea ahead of time so I can figure out what to do if it was dreadful. Sounds like it's not bad but not premium.

Not sure I can find the XLE with the upgraded tech package easily. Maybe that's the way to go so I don't have to second guess.

I am getting a great trade on my current vehicle and will likely go with this dealership. The used market is starting to decline in pricing so I don't have too long a window IMHO.
The XLE trim with the upgraded softex, cooled/heated seats & steering wheel with the JBL audio will make seasonal driving fun w/o the complaints associated with extreme weather.
Comfort is important, good sounding audio will help, especially on longer drives, so those options are desirable, if delivered installed from Japan.
I think with today’s supply chain issues in the new car market, it’s going to be more about luck with what is shipped as built or do a preorder and wait however many months. I’ve heard of people flying to another state when they located their car at a fair price, then drove it home !
Many of the states bound container ships have automobiles pre-sold w/deposits to waiting customers. I’ve not seen any Venza’s on my local dealers lot, or in the show room, rare to even see them on the road but as of late I’ve noticed a few more, nice to see what you drive from a different perspective, admiring the different colors, turn signals are bright, the rears are very visible and the DTR lights look cool too. The look of the wheels spinning, I never see them as a driver.
I’m happy for the most part, so all is good.
But finding a trim level with specific options in the color you want will be an amazing feat, so I can offer only best wishes that your desired Venza will magically find its way to you. 🤞good luck. 2023 will be like 2022 supply wise according to Toyota corporate, sadly.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I found a 2021 limited with 20k on it and with everything for a good price. No need for me to upgrade anything. Had an incredible trade-in so I just did it. Sound is definitely good enough for me with the JBL system.

Thanks everyone for the help.

· Registered
120 Posts
I found a 2021 limited with 20k on it and with everything for a good price. No need for me to upgrade anything. Had an incredible trade-in so I just did it. Sound is definitely good enough for me with the JBL system.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Great deal, enjoy the Venza w/JBL, I love it for as an OEM audio upgrade, it works for me. I even use my portable CD player plugged into that supplied jack.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts