Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be picking up a new Venza Nightshade at the end of the month. Just learned that due to chip shortage we will receive (temporarily I hope) just one key fob and one mechanical key. How problematic is this if, for one of several unplanned reasons, the key fob is unavailable to the driver? With the push button ignition how is the vehicle started? Procedures for starting the vehicle with a dead battery in the fob is clearly addressed online, but I can not find information for the situation I described. Thanks in advance!

· Registered
270 Posts
We will be picking up a new Venza Nightshade at the end of the month. Just learned that due to chip shortage we will receive (temporarily I hope) just one key fob and one mechanical key. How problematic is this if, for one of several unplanned reasons, the key fob is unavailable to the driver? With the push button ignition how is the vehicle started? Procedures for starting the vehicle with a dead battery in the fob is clearly addressed online, but I can not find information for the situation I described. Thanks in advance!
Re: battery in the fob, the dash displays a low battery warning if the CR2450 coin battery is getting weak. I carry around in my travel bag a spare lithium energizer battery just in case. They last about a year or less depending on usage.
Practice opening the fob if you’re unfamiliar with its opening. The metal key that pops out has a slim chisel tip that’s used to pry open the plastic fob in the slot. Removing the battery from those retaining claws is a bit challenging w/o a special hook tool to help make it easier when on the go.

As an afterthought, the car system recognizes the presence of the fob when you approach the vehicle, the puddle lights illuminate, the door automatically unlocks when you put your hand into the door pull and if you leave it longer the other doors unlock too. I recall going to the car and forgot my key fob so I couldn’t open the door. So if the battery is stone cold dead then the automatic opening isn’t going to happen for you, then the metal key is flipped out to do the old school mechanical unlocking. Will the car’s computer sense this “no battery voltage” in the fob ? I’ve not reached that level of battery depletion so this is a grey area for me too. That’s why I carry a spare on me and have extras at home.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. Let me restate the question another way. If for some reason I DO NOT have with me the keyfob (remember, we are only provided 1), how do I use the "manual key" (the 2nd key provided by the dealership) to operate the vehicle?

· Registered
2021 Highlander XSE V6
406 Posts
Thanks for the response. Let me restate the question another way. If for some reason I DO NOT have with me the keyfob (remember, we are only provided 1), how do I use the "manual key" (the 2nd key provided by the dealership) to operate the vehicle?
You can’t start it or drive without the fob. The manual key is only for unlocking the driver’s door.
With only one fob issued it’s going to be expensive if you ever lose it. $500+ for an auto locksmith to come out and program a new one and cut a new manual key.
You should eventually get a second fob from Toyota, they’ll send you a notification to book an appointment and drop by a dealer so they can program it to the car.

BTW, if your fob battery is depleted and car won’t start, just press the head of the fob against the start button and it’ll start right up.

· Registered
'21 Venza xle '20 Highlander Pl
947 Posts
The manual key is only to open the drivers door........i.e. if the fob battery is dead and to hold the fob against the button to start........in a pinch it can be used to pry the slotted tab on the console to release a locked shifter but it cannot start the vehicle.

Basically lose the keyfob and you're SOL until the dealer can provide a replacement (provided they even have one to program and then I'm certain they will also charge you for the replacement.)

If it was me I'd tell the dealer to eat the <$200 off the price of the new vehicle and I'd buy a replacement off of Ebay and have him cut the key with the code tag on the one set provided. That is exactly why replacements are selling on Ebay. Because no way I'n driving with one fob without a replacement so they can flatbed the Venza paperweight until the second one is provided.

· Registered
270 Posts
Car alarm Gas Cable Electric blue Automotive lighting

Rectangle Wood Body jewelry Font Bumper

This is a new one for me, I’m unaware of the latest “manual key” provide by the dealer. Anything other than an electronic fob which has the included hideaway key is news to me.
This is what I have as OEM for 2021, wife carries the other one for emergencies.

· Registered
34 Posts
Dd they say how long it would take to receive the second key fob?

· Registered
270 Posts
No indication of wait time.
This is so retarded, that Toyota can build an entire car and sell it with just one key fob. We’re supposed to believe that this is acceptable. So they need to push out Venza’s from Japan to the USA & Canada and the hold up is key fobs ??
Micro chips for computers was the original reason for delays and shutdowns on assembly lines. Ok build cars and we’ll worry about key fobs later ??? Unbelievable ! So the quick solution is to search eBay for a backup fob and then have the dealer program it to your computer in the car. Where are the resellers acquiring the compatible fobs if there’s a supposed shortage ?
This makes no sense, but what the hell do I know. 😳

· Registered
270 Posts
I contacted the dealer on our incoming Venza and he confirmed they are only coming with one key fob and no ETA on when the second one would arrive. I'm getting an Apple AirTag for the one get given my habit of losing things. 😀
I have my fob attached to a spring loaded belt clip with the Toyota logo and that clip has a small lever to open and close as you take off other key rings. So being attached to my pants all the time keeps the fob safe and sound in my pocket while I’m out and about. eBay sellers have them and some include anodized valve stem caps in various colors with the logo on the top to give your ride a custom look. I posted pics of my fob and key clip above in this thread. It would be quite hard to lose it using this clip it to your belt loop. 👍

· Registered
2021 Venza LE Blue
461 Posts
I contacted the dealer on our incoming Venza and he confirmed they are only coming with one key fob and no ETA on when the second one would arrive. I'm getting an Apple AirTag for the one get given my habit of losing things. 😀
Configure your Toyota App so you can unlock/lock/start the car with Phone.
First year is free. Hopefully you will get 2nd key fob very soon.

I still have doubt if you will be able to start the car with Mechanical Key. Fob has the necessary transmitter with authentication to allow starting. As far as I know mechanical key only helps to unlock the doors, not really start the car. FYI you can still start the Car with a Fob with dead battery, but you can't start car without Fob.

· Registered
34 Posts
Configure your Toyota App so you can unlock/lock/start the car with Phone.
First year is free. Hopefully you will get 2nd key fob very soon.

I still have doubt if you will be able to start the car with Mechanical Key. Fob has the necessary transmitter with authentication to allow starting. As far as I know mechanical key only helps to unlock the doors, not really start the car. FYI you can still start the Car with a Fob with dead battery, but you can't start car without Fob.
That's good information to know about the Toyota App as a backup way to unlock/lock and more importantly start the car. I'll make sure to do that.

· Registered
270 Posts
That's good information to know about the Toyota App as a backup way to unlock/lock and more importantly start the car. I'll make sure to do that.
Hey, I learned on here about putting the fob and dead battery right against the push button starter to get you on your way. But seeing a low battery warning on the dash display was a nice heads up and immediately bought extra CR2450 batteries to preclude getting stuck with a no go ride. I mark the date with a sharpie on the button cell battery so I can see how long they last. About a year depending how much you press the buttons.

· Registered
2022 Venza Limited
73 Posts
Hey, I learned on here about putting the fob and dead battery right against the push button starter to get you on your way. But seeing a low battery warning on the dash display was a nice heads up and immediately bought extra CR2450 batteries to preclude getting stuck with a no go ride. I mark the date with a sharpie on the button cell battery so I can see how long they last. About a year depending how much you press the buttons.
Page 152 in the Owner's Manual...

Font Parallel Rectangle Document Circle

· Registered
270 Posts
As of this moment there are no replacement fobs for the 2023 Venza on eBay. There are plenty of covers for your fob, but no blank fobs to be programmed.
I wonder if the salvage yards would have the fobs to the Gen 2 Venza’s ? Many are linked via computer, so if a call goes out asking for such a part, one might get lucky, just a thought…🤔

1 - 20 of 31 Posts