Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Since there was no other complaints about that exept for the OP, I think it's a one or two of. Having a TSB does not make it widespread.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 2010 Venza just started doing this. It becomes more frequent, too.
About 10k miles.

Is there a solution for this yet?
OP, did you get yours fixed?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Here's the TSB for the popping noise when steering wheel is turn to full R/L:

T-SB-0076-10

Affects 2009 & 2010 Venza's and it is a Tilt Lever grease application

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had my 2009 Venza serviced last week for similar issue. I was hearing a knocking noise coming from the steering wheel. At 1st I'd hear it louder while turning the wheel but it became louder to the point that even driving over a crack on the road I hear a noise, Dealer replaced the steering column. My Venza is now good as new.
2009 Venza V6 3.5 NAV

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just had my 2009 Venza serviced last week for similar issue. I was hearing a knocking noise coming from the steering wheel. At 1st I'd hear it louder while turning the wheel but it became louder to the point that even driving over a crack on the road I hear a noise, Dealer replaced the steering column. My Venza is now good as new.
2009 Venza V6 3.5 NAV
It is a good new to me cause my venza now having this problem. Wonder if u can tell the price of changing new steering column. Also, do you know any online shop that sell venza column. i am in Vietnam :|
Thanks,

·
Registered
3 Posts
I actually brought the Venza to the Toyota Dealer where I purchased it from and had ir repaired there.The repair was covered under the waranty so I didn't pay anything out of pocket. The part(s) had to be ordered therefore I did leave the vehicle for a day or two until the part arrived. The cost including labor covered under the warranty was approx $ 1,400.00

·
Registered
549 Posts
2009 Venza V6 3.5 NAV
I have recently picked up a rattle under dash and believe I have traced it to the steering column. I haven't taken it in yet because I wanted to see if I could find it. The rattle is mostly noticed over small low speed bumps like bumpy gravel road or hitting dots on road, at highway speed I dont hear it. I am not having the clicking while turning issue though. Is it possible the grease column TSB helps fill gaps that cause this rattle? I hate rattles and want this gone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is possible that a little grease would fix the noise. At first the noise I was experiencing was slight at the time I even though it could of been a loose wire or relay inside the sterring wheel cover. Then the noise became louder and louder and annoying to the point I would hear it while driving over a tiny bump on the road. Phone number to ther dealer I had mine fixed is Hudson Toyota (201) 433-0009. Good Luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is possible that a little grease would fix the noise. At first the noise I was experiencing was slight at the time I even though it could of been a loose wire or relay inside the sterring wheel cover. Then the noise became louder and louder and annoying to the point I would hear it while driving over a tiny bump on the road. Phone number to ther dealer I had mine fixed is Hudson Toyota (201) 433-0009. Good Luck.
Do you remember which parts did your Venza get replaced? I post a picture of steering column system so can you tell me? The noise gonna kill me. awwwh :headbang::headbang::headbang:

·
Registered
57 Posts
My 2010 Venza just started doing this. It becomes more frequent, too.
About 10k miles.

Is there a solution for this yet?
OP, did you get yours fixed?
Same as my 2010. Although sometimes it's tough to hear over all of the other rattles :rolleyes:

·
Registered
451 Posts
The knocking noise recently started in my 2009 with 30,000km. I just had it in the dealer this morning for regular maintenance & mentioned the noise. They've ordered a replacement steering column.
The service advisor told me he tried replacing just one of the linkages on another Venza but it didn't help.

·
Registered
549 Posts
The knocking noise recently started in my 2009 with 30,000km. I just had it in the dealer this morning for regular maintenance & mentioned the noise. They've ordered a replacement steering column.
The service advisor told me he tried replacing just one of the linkages on another Venza but it didn't help.
Robert. Was the noise you were hearing while turning the wheel, or could you hear it over bumps while wheel was straight? Also, how did they decide to order the column...test drive with you? Reason I ask, is mine is just a rattle from the steering column area, and I need to convince somebody this rattle could be something important, and they need to look into it. I have an appointment on Tuesday, now to find a nasty road to take them for a drive on. ;)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Robert. Was the noise you were hearing while turning the wheel, or could you hear it over bumps while wheel was straight? Also, how did they decide to order the column...test drive with you? Reason I ask, is mine is just a rattle from the steering column area, and I need to convince somebody this rattle could be something important, and they need to look into it. I have an appointment on Tuesday, now to find a nasty road to take them for a drive on. ;)
It's a knocking noise as if something was loose inside the column assembly. I hear it going over the slightest bump, regardless of the wheel direction.
I waited at the dealer the entire time and even watched the mechanic working on it for a while. As far as I could tell, the only test drive was from the lot into the service bay. I think since he'd seen this before, he simply took my word for it... but I can't be sure.

·
Registered
549 Posts
It's a knocking noise as if something was loose inside the column assembly. I hear it going over the slightest bump, regardless of the wheel direction.
I waited at the dealer the entire time and even watched the mechanic working on it for a while. As far as I could tell, the only test drive was from the lot into the service bay. I think since he'd seen this before, he simply took my word for it... but I can't be sure.
That sounds like what I'm experiancing. Is the noise fairly subtle (not real loud) and you hear it more at slow speeds like small bumps or road dots on the road? I have an appointment Tues. and prefer to get them started in the right direction. Thanks again!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Well, after taking the car in for recall work and bringing up the recent rattle...WOW did that open a can of worms. This could be heard over small bumps driving slow. At highway speeds it was near silent, but was certainly there. They tore the entire dash, console, wheel cover out of the car eliminating all other issues before agreeing its the steering column. No turning noise mind you as others reported. Well, turns out last column in Portland Oregon was sold, and now has to come from Los Angeles...this is a $1300.00 item for the complete assembly, and prob. at least 7 hour job with troubleshooting. Not to be taken lightly. I've only had warrantee work a couple of times over 23 years and am glad they are working to resolving this issue.

·
Registered
45 Posts
well dont know why they told you that bs the TSB tells you to replace the steering column which come with power steering motor and steering angel sensor. And no its not the clock spring

·
Registered
45 Posts
To make it worse if the dealer only use TSB to fix car there tech really arent that good, find which component is making the noise and replace it how hard is that for them very sad,

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do you remember which parts did your Venza get replaced? I post a picture of steering column system so can you tell me? The noise gonna kill me. awwwh :headbang::headbang::headbang:
The steering column is part number 2 which is the one making the clicking type noise over bumps, Part 4 is the intermaite shaft(excuse my spelling) which normally make a clunking noise when you turn the wheel all the time, which is cause by the universal joint most of the time

·
Registered
549 Posts
The steering column is part number 3 which is the one making the clicking type noise over bumps, Part 4 is the intermaite shaft(excuse my spelling) which normally make a clunking noise when you turn the wheel all the time, which is cause by the universal joint most of the time
I believe you mean part #2 is steering column.

Just found out today that this appears to be a pretty widespread problem because Toyota coorporate just put a stop sale on the column that I had back ordered and was due in today (on all steering column sales).

Sounds like I now have to wait until they find the REAL issue that is causing the loose part rattle inside the column. :facepalm:

21 - 40 of 189 Posts
About this Discussion
188 Replies
70 Participants
outfire
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing