Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here able to provide real life comparisons between the Venza and Lexus RX 350? I'm mostly interested in folks that have owned or leased both. Advantages, disadvantages. Ride, comfort, noise levels, etc. Obviously, there is a price differential. Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would suggest you drive both, back to back and see for yourself.

My personal opinion is that:
- The Venza is wider
- The Venza has longer wheelbase
- The Venza has better ground clearance (Yes, that shows you how much of an SUV the RX is :))
- The Venza is cheaper :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
As a currently Venza owner and have driven both cars, all of I have to say is you get for what you paid. Venza is nice and all compared to other Toyotas and Hondas but Lexus is a step or two up, its interior is much nicer, softer leather, more luxury (the trim and dashboard doesn't look and feel cheap like the Venza). I picked Venza over Lexus strictly because of my budget and the overall total cost of ownership...maybe I'll go for a Lexus next time...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree with venza2010. You get what you pay for. I've owned the previous gen RX and it is a more refined/polished and higher quality vehicle. I can only imagine the 2010 RX is even better.

RX Advantages:
- Quieter ride (engine, wind/tire noise) especially on highway.
- More comfortable seats/driving position (though can be subjective).
- Softer, more "luxurious" ride. The Venza can be harsh over certain bumps.
- Superior materials, fit and finish in and out. The Venza's interior fit has noticeable uneven gaps in particular the speaker covers. Some plastics look and feel hard/cheap as well. The Venza's water channel on the roof is beginning to lift/detach from the roof. Also, the Venza's black rubber seal around the driver's door fell out the other day when opening the door.
- Tighter, more solid feel. Rattles and squeaks were very rare on the RX. Venza has more in 6 months of ownership versus the 4-year old RX I had.
- Better traction, though this is mostly due to tires. Venza's 20in Michelin's are really bad in the rain or snow and initial tire spin (before traction control kicks in) on takeoff is difficult to prevent on these surfaces.
-Better standard or optional Mark Levinson sound systems than the Venza's standard or optional JBL system
- Fantastic resale value (though too early to predict Venza's at this point in time).

Venza
- At least 15K cheaper.
- Slightly better gas mileage (comparing the same 3.5L V6 engines and drivetrain 2WD or AWD). Lexus recommends Premium gas. Venza Regular.
- Decent cornering, slightly less body roll on turns than the RX.
- Bigger back seat and rear leg room (fits three kids/car seats and they can't reach/kick the front seats)
- My 5 and 7 year olds can reach the rear door handles, open the doors, and climb in the back seat on their own.
- Cheaper servicing/maintenance costs. Your standard 8000km/5000 mile service oil change at Lexus will set you back 100$. Toyota 50$.
- Convenient and well designed center console.
- A little cheaper on insurance (at least for me) than the RX.
- Overall, more cost-conscious and "family-friendly" mode of transportation. You don't feel as guilty if (and when) the kids will dirty the car versus with the Lexus.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Mom got the Venza's big brother yesterday. 2015 Lexus RX350

WOW does this thing ever feel premium

Stay tuned for some side by side comparisons! This thing is way bigger though. Way more of an SUV "feel" over the Venza.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Mom got the Venza's big brother yesterday. 2015 Lexus RX350

WOW does this thing ever feel premium

Stay tuned for some side by side comparisons! This thing is way bigger though. Way more of an SUV "feel" over the Venza.
Is she going to let you do any mods to it like you have done recently to yours? Probably not. lol Looks great. Always did like the styling of the RX.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Venza2010 pretty much hit it on the head. I have a venza (with leather) and have driven the RX350. The biggest difference to me is the interior. The venza is an econobox with cheap, hard, ill-fitting shiny plastic while the Lexus has a luxury interior.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Venza2010 pretty much hit it on the head. I have a venza (with leather) and have driven the RX350. The biggest difference to me is the interior. The venza is an econobox with cheap, hard, ill-fitting shiny plastic while the Lexus has a luxury interior.
A pretty decent econobox, and you can buy 2 of them for the price of the Lexus.

Don't get me wrong, if I had a pile of money to burn I'd be in a Lexus RX as well. But I don't.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yep, agree with both of you. The Venza is a great vehicle but when you step into the Lexus, it's a whole other experience. Never thought a vehicle could feel so put-together lol. I assume that the same holds true for others such as Audi, Mercedes but I have never gotten the chance to step in one of those.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yep, agree with both of you. The Venza is a great vehicle but when you step into the Lexus, it's a whole other experience. Never thought a vehicle could feel so put-together lol. I assume that the same holds true for others such as Audi, Mercedes but I have never gotten the chance to step in one of those.
I agree as well, as nice as Toyota and Honda and such are, you really see a nice step up going to the premium line in my opinion. Just an added smoothness about them. And you should for the premium price. I at one point I really wanted the vehcile that replaced my 04 Camry to be an Avalon or a nice pre owned Lexus ES 350, but the wife really wanted the Venza.

I got to drive my aunts 08 Mercedes GL 360 CDI last year for a week to detail it for her and boy was that a nice vehicle. It had like 90k on it to and it felt like new. Everything was tight, it was quiet (for a diesel), interior showed little wear. It was beautiful. But I think it was close to 75k new so it should be nice :lol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
We have both - 2010 RX 350 and 2013 Venza. Both 6 cylinder both AWD - full leather packages on both, Nav systems etc.

Definitely the Lexus is more opulent and a smoother ride. We find the Lexus has better acceleration even with the same engine and heavier. Other than that, not a lot between them - except for $10000 which is the key factor. With this price differential, the Venza is definitely better value. I would happily buy either of them again (and probably will) I am also anticipating the "Lexus Venza" which I am betting will come out when the RX350 becomes a seven-seater

·
Registered
193 Posts
We have both - 2010 RX 350 and 2013 Venza. Both 6 cylinder both AWD - full leather packages on both, Nav systems etc.

Definitely the Lexus is more opulent and a smoother ride. We find the Lexus has better acceleration even with the same engine and heavier. Other than that, not a lot between them - except for $10000 which is the key factor. With this price differential, the Venza is definitely better value. I would happily buy either of them again (and probably will) I am also anticipating the "Lexus Venza" which I am betting will come out when the RX350 becomes a seven-seater
You mean the Lexus NX that's due out this year? Bad ass vehicle!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
That utt bugly "spindle" grill on any new Lexus would most certainly keep me from considering one. Lexus has simply over done the "unique corporate" grill concept and it especially does not transfer well to their SUV's
As to comparing the Venza to the RX, I think that the several year old Venza's styling is still much more beautiful than the current RX, and for the price difference --- I will put up with some harder plastics in the interior.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Another option to consider is an Acura RDX. They top out at $40K, but if you are looking for more luxury than a Venza, but don't want to pay nearly $50K for a loaded RX then an RDX could be a good compromise.

I am miffed as to why the Lexus 3.5 V6 requires premium. The Lexus is rated at 270hp on premium and our 3.5 V6 is rated at 268hp on regular. Really 2hp gained from tuning to run on premium?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
14 Participants
micavenza
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing